The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:59 am 
Mark III

I've been playing without effects the last few years, but have been thinking about adding some basic effects for a few songs. But I don't want to lug my G-Major/GCX Switcher/midi pedal rack to gigs, so am thinking about a basic, but good quality multi-effects pedal. The Boss MS-3 caught my eye. I'm essentially looking for a good delay, some reverb capability, maybe some compression and flange/chorus type of modulation effect. A built-in tuner would be nice too - the Boss has that.

Has anyone used the MS-3 with your Mesa Mark V or any other Mark series amp? What are your thoughts? Any other multi-effects suggestions?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:33 pm 
Mark I

I think the MS3 is just a switcher. It doesn’t actually produce the effects. For that, the ME-80 or something might work though I have never tried it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 am 
Mark III

Thanks for the reply. The Boss ES-5 + ES-8 are switchers. Both ES & MS pedals look similar in design, but are actually a different. The MS-3 has some limited switching capabilities and loops like the ES, but it also has multiple effects built-in.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:13 pm 
Mark I

Yes. I see now... Thanks for pointing it out. I haven’t tried it (of course) but it looks nice and Boss is sure to be good quality.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:42 am 
Mark I

I am strongly considering getting an MS-3 to handle effects and channel switching with my MK V 90 combo. I want to simplify my increasingly large and complex pedal board. Been reading up on it, and also downloaded the Boss Tonestudio software which you can run in offline mode to check out how it works. It’s a very versatile unit that can be programmed with Highly precise control. I have a Boss Katana amp and have been really impressed with the quality of the effects, which the MS-3 duplicates and expands on.

The MS-3 has two control output jacks, which would work with the MK V to switch the three channels. It has a button that mutes the devices and goes into a tuner mode.

I would use it with the 4 cable method, using one of the three loops to inset the MK V preamp between a block of “pre” effects and a block of “post effects”. I like to have certain modulation, tremolo, delay and reverb after the pre-amp (normally, in the effect loop of the amp). Wah, drives, compressor, octaver, and boosts all go in front. Pretty standard approach.

I would use an expression pedal to control volume. There is a tutorial on YouTube that shows how to add felt bumpers under the toe of the pedal, and program the MS-3 to turn on the wah effect when you push down harder to compress the bumpers. The exp pedal can also control any other parameter, like delay depth, repeats or time, or do a whammy style pitch shifting effect.

The ideal would be to get down to just the MS-3 and an expression pedal on a small pedal board. There would be three cables running to the amp for signal, plus a TRS cable running to the channel switching jacks. The only downside is I would give up the functionality of the MK V footswitch, but I rarely have a need to switch the EQ, FX, Solo Boost, or Mute the amp. And the MS-3 covers these bases anyway.

Right now looking for a good deal on a used MS-3. They’ve now been out long enough they are showing up on Reverb, CL and GC’s used gear. If I go through with it I will report back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:27 am 
Mark III

I actually purchased an MS-3 a few weeks ago. The effects are perfect for my needs, and I am not using any of the loops. I wanted a pedal based multi-effects unit for a few simple effects and didn't want to drag a rack to gigs like I had in the past. I primarily use the delays, phaser, wah, and compressor which are nice. The distortion/fuzzes/OD's are decent, but I never use them and prefer to use the amp's.

I purchased the Boss dual expression pedal too and it works well and primarily use it for a wah with the MS-3. The pedal defaults as a volume on most of the factory patches.

I am running the MS-3 in the Mark V loop and am not using the 4CM. I found that for the effects I use, it didn't make enough difference tonewise and wanted to eliminate the hassle of the additional cables and simplify the programming.

I originally had hopes of using the MS-3 in place of the Mark V footswitch, but you can only switch 3 functions. The MS-3 switches all three channels in Mark V fine. But I didn't want to give up the EQ and Solo functions, so I continue to use the Mesa footswitch too.

I recommend the MS-3, especially if you want to simplify your pedalboard and want to utilize the loops. I just wanted a basic pedal with decent effects and a tuner, and the MS-3 works great for my needs too. It's very versatile. Since I don't use the effect loops in the MS-3, I wish I was able to program them as switches to give me two more footswitchable functions for the Mark V, which I'd use for the EQ and Solo functions, so I could leave the amp's footswitch at home.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:25 am 
Bottle Rocket

I use one with my MarkV. I connect it with 4 cable method. Works great. The only drawback is a slight delay
when changing patches. The effect are really good and you can arrange the order of the effects pretty much the
way you want to.