2nd Cab Cross Stage?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctc

Reaction score
I bought a 2x12 vertical slant recto cab along with my Mark V because I liked it's versatile sonic range and clarity for all of the musical styles that I like to play. Also, as a vertical slant it projects the sound in a focused vertical slice that allows me to hear my playing the best above all others. Unfortunately this slice cuts both ways and several drummers and bassists that I have played with in various rooms have asked me to turn up the volume on my amp which never seems to make things better as they quite naturally play louder in response. As a consequence I have metered some rehearsals north of 110db. That is much too loud for me and hurts my hearing. Some have asked me to rotate the amp towards them which of course points the sonic slice at stage center where the vocalist complains that the guitar is too loud and he can't hear himself. Also, in that configuration I cannot hear myself well enough. So I'm thinking about adding a 1x12 recto cabinet and pointing it cross stage so that the drummer and bass player get plenty of guitar mojo without the vocalist and myself going deaf. It sounds good in theory, but I'm wondering if any if you have done this and can share the results? Thx.

I would say that approach is just replacing one problem with another. Your always going to have directional issues with guitar cabs, that's their nature unfortunately. A better solution is to have a half decent monitor setup and mic your amp. That way everyone can have what they want. Most desks will give 2 aux sends so with a 2 channel amp and 4 wedges you and the singer can have 1 mix in your wedge and the drummer and bassist can have a different mix in theirs.

+1, what Wayno said...

From a Drummer's perspective: if the guitar cab is facing me, I cannot hear the drums. In fact if I am the only person in the room playing the drums, I cannot hear the bass drum due to its location and how it is positioned. Last jam session, all I could hear was the guitar but the cab was pointing directly at me due to small room. There is no way to get that right but it was just for fun anyways. We even added vocals, I could not hear that at all but it was there. When I took a break, my one friend took over on the drums when I went to check on the dog. I could hear everything including the vocals when I was out of the room.

You should invest in a multi-channel mixer and mic everything. That way you can adjust the levels on the drums, guitar, bass and vocals that should work. A good mixer will also have other sends that can be used as monitors or use as a driver for a wireless system to use ear buds. Of course you want the vocals to be heard and not drowned out by the other instruments. A good mixer will allow you to select what signals go to what channel for use as a monitor set up or ear buds. Plus you get the two sends for the house that will run what ever you program the mixer to send as the main output. Definitely something to consider. I currently have a Soundcraft mixer, I got it to record my drum set and there are plenty of channels left over for guitar, vocals and bass. I have not tried it yet with a computer but the one I have will send all 22 channels out through USB. For what this mixer does, it was not overly expensive. I think I spent more money on mics for the drum set than on the mixer. I have all this gear and I am not really using it to its potential. Need to heal up and get back into things. (stepped on a garden weasel, I think I will make a song on that and will have to include the termites in it some how).

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sig22MT--soundcraft-signature-22-mtk-mixer-and-audio-interface-with-effects

Thanks for the input guys. We can have the monitors reconfigured so the drummer and bassist can have their own mix in that channel. I was just looking at the Behringer XR series of mixers, it sounds like what bandit2013 is talking about. Very cool indeed.

Been eyeing up one of those XR mixers myself, very cool indeed. Soundcraft make one of their own which is even cooler but the behringer will work just fine. Defo the way to go, ie run monitors, much better solution to the problem. And, added bonus, everyone especially guitars came turn down a bit, keeping stage noise low helps everything.

Latest posts

Back