Which Mark series if I don't use Mark IV and Extreme?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exodus5

Reaction score
As the title states...I have had a bunch of different Mesa's over the years. I've had Caliber/DC/Rectos and a Mark V:25. The only one that stuck was the Mark V:25, but only because I liked the Clean/Fat/Crunch and Mk2c+ settings. I never used Mark 4 or "Extreme". I am now back in the market for a Mesa and I want that great clean sound and the Crunch and MK2C+ settings. I am thinking the Mark V:35 combo is my best bet (I want a combo, btw, since I didn't mention that) but I'm open to older Mark series amps if they can emulate those sounds.
I've seen some Mark III and IV's available cheap so if one of those can cover these bases that would be great. Opinions?

I’m going to state the obvious and say an older Mark IIC+ will nail Mark IIC+ tones. :)

Seriously, any Mark series amp you mentioned will get you there. They all share the same DNA.

For that full saturated IIC+ tone, other than a IIC+ or JP-2C, it will be hard to get there but...not impossible.

I would try out a TC-100. It has that rich tone you can get from IIC+, JP and the Mark V, with a hint of Recto built in. CH3 is insane, CH2 is crunch all the way and the clean channel is very clean for an EL34 based amp. It also can do a early classic rock with the drive switch on the clean channel, boost the gain all the way an it gets into Plexi mode. Power soak will let you dial it down to 3W if you so desire.

Then get a set of the Mesa STR442 and be amazed. https://store.mesaboogie.com/products/power-tubes-el34-6ca7-str-442-nos-winged-c-sed-matched-pair.html I have just installed a quad of these gems. Holy crap what a difference those make. The stock EL34 sound great and give the CH3 a Recto tone. The STR442 enhance it even further and it sounds like the JP-2C (no joke either). I am totally blown away with the TC-100, I think even more so than the JP-2C at the moment since I can get three types of distortion out of the amp and fenderistic cleans.

Even though the TC series is new, I believe it has a more tailorable platform than most of the other Mesa amps. You can choose to run EL34 (stock) 6L6, or 6V6. I did the 6V6 with the TC-50 but have not done so with the TC-100 yet. TC-50 seems to have more headroom and the TC-100 is more saturated. I would not say more compressed, just thicker tone.

The MK-5-35 is a killer amp but I went with the Full Mark V and changed it to EL34 power tubes the results for me are the cleans sound like my beloved MK2B - I then use MK1 mode on channel 2 ( with a crazy EQ setting ) and MKIV on channel 3
It gives me everything I have ever wanted in a Boogie !!!!

The Mark IIC+ mode and the Mark IV modes are nearly the same on the Mark V, they just vary on a couple details (Mark IV has PULL DEEP enabled, and a larger capacitor which the GEQ models came with to let more bass through). Many of the older Mark series amps will allow you to toggle between the two and other variations based on their different push/pull control functions. However, you'll find many people consider the CRUNCH mode on the Mark V far better than the Channel 2 modes on previous Mark series amps.

As you suggested, some of the smaller Mark models will give you access to those three modes (but not the ability to switch between Clean and Crunch live easily, unfortunately). The Triple Crown series also might be interesting, as the mentioned above.

Thanks for all of the help. I actually still haven't decided exactly what I want. I'm thinking if I could just get the clean and crunch modes I'd be good and then maybe a boost pedal to push it into higher gain. I am actually considering going back (again) to the Mark V:25. Is the MkV:35 crunch very similar to the 25?

Latest posts

Back