The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:44 pm 
Mark I

I have found that Edge mode is the most useful mode on my Mark V! This weird revelation came as I realized I was looking for a ‘natural breakup’ mode for classic low-gain rhythm sounds and bluesy leads. I was shocked how much this mode liked humbuckers and singles, how well it took overdrive and fuzz pedals, and how in a band setting I found myself hanging around this tone for 90% of the rehearsal.

Why do I always hear people maligning the Edge mode? I can’t imagine the Mark V without it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:27 pm 
Mark I

Hum ... I have not messed with it much. If I get time tonight I will see what happens...

Miss you Dad https://youtu.be/YLp4KPkRd8k

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:22 am 
Mark III

Edge mode is amazing. One of the many reasons I refuse to ever sell my Mark V.
For aggressive dirty cleans, funk with grit, whatever you want and some old school rock/metal tones too with a boost.
Cuts right through any mix, no messing about. Absolutely LOVES single coils. A very dynamic voicing.
But where not many big name people have bigged it up commercially/publically endorsed it, like the amps that the other modes are from, not as many are aware. Or think to explore it. Those guys'll just have to wait til Hetfield or Petrucci discover it, record with it and mention it in interviews, giving them permission somehow to like it...... :p

And also lets no forget that the rest of the other modes are so distractingly cool, that it can come down to playing time being sucked up all the time on a player's fave go-to tones/modes.
Edge is a great open/pseudo secret for those that know. A truly wonderful mode that gives you back all that you put into it. I wish sometimes it was an option to have as channel 1. With Crunch and IIC+/MARK IV/Extreme as options for channels 2 and 3 respectively. But Tweed kinda offers some of that flavour so its not all bad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:54 am 
Bottle Rocket

Thanks to this thread, I gave the Edge mode a test run tonight. When the eq is set similarly to my Crunch settings, it sounded shrill and spikey. But, when I ran it at these settings:

45 Watt
Gain 1 o’clock
Master noon
Presence and Treble 9 o’clock-ish
Mids noon
Bass 11 o’clock
5 band with V scoop
This is the crunch meets chime sound I was looking for. Just perfect with my Tele and LP. Thanks OP for the heads up!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:10 pm 
Mark III

I really enjoy for Thrashy high gain tones once you put a boost in front of it. Especially a straight volume boost which adds some of the low end back in. And turning the treble down to account for the voicing of the channel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:10 pm 
Donating Member

The Mink wrote:
I have found that Edge mode is the most useful mode on my Mark V! This weird revelation came as I realized I was looking for a ‘natural breakup’ mode for classic low-gain rhythm sounds and bluesy leads. I was shocked how much this mode liked humbuckers and singles, how well it took overdrive and fuzz pedals, and how in a band setting I found myself hanging around this tone for 90% of the rehearsal.

Why do I always hear people maligning the Edge mode? I can’t imagine the Mark V without it.

+1

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:28 pm 
Mark II

I’ve recorded it where it gets a great JMP like tone but it can get spikey and a little shrill on the top end in higher register playing. Can be tricky to dial in where you get the brightness you want for the low E and A strings without the G,B and E being too bright. Takes boost pedals very well. The right speaker can help a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:04 pm 
Donating Member

I stopped using the geq with edge mode and I am a lot happier with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:41 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I actually prefer Edge mode for clean work over any of the Channel 1 modes because it's got more of a rounder, fuller sound without so much high end. It's great for a big fat semi-solid sound like from an ES-335.

PRS CE24
American Standard Telecaster
Standard Stratocaster
Carvin Icon bass
American Elite Jazz Bass V