How to get flattest response from Mark V power section?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WholeLottaGlove

Reaction score
Hey all, I’m currently using a Fractal AX8 in the loop of my Mark V 90 watt head. I notice that the tone vastly changes from one channel to the next, even though the Mark’s preamp controls seem to be disabled (except for power scaling 90-45-10). Is there a better way to make the Mark’s power amp a bit more transparent? I love the Mark, so I do want to keep it as my amp but would like it to play nice with my AX8. Thanks.

I use channel 1, with effects loop off, on clean setting, 45 watts, Rectifier Tube on, EQ off, Normal instead of Bold, Gain at 10:30, Master as needed, Presence at 10:00, Treble at 12:00, Middle at 9:30, Bass at 10:00. Solo on if you need more volume.
For some reason i prefer 45 Rectifier, it just seems smoother to me.

By the way, i'm not using a Fractal so disregard the Effects loop being off in my previous post and turn it on, and set the Master to about 2:00. I use these settings for a flat response for a Metal Muff Pedal w/ Top Boost that i absolutely love!

WholeLottaGlove said:
Hey all, I’m currently using a Fractal AX8 in the loop of my Mark V 90 watt head. I notice that the tone vastly changes from one channel to the next, even though the Mark’s preamp controls seem to be disabled (except for power scaling 90-45-10). Is there a better way to make the Mark’s power amp a bit more transparent? I love the Mark, so I do want to keep it as my amp but would like it to play nice with my AX8. Thanks.

Sorry if I've missed the point but if your using only the power section, you say the preamp controls are disabled so I'm assuming your using the fractal as a preamp correct? If so what difference does it make what channel the Mark V is on? Just set it to the one that sounds best to you.

As to the difference in power section tone between the channels I would guess it's to do with the feedback circuit i,e the presence circuit which is slightly different on each channel. Nothing really you can do about that control wise other than turn all the presence controls right down but that probably won't sound too good.

Back