Problems with your Mark V...it's you.

Discussion for the new Mark V

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Wayno
Mark III

Re: Problems with your Mark V...it's you.

Post by Wayno » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:19 am

The Mink wrote:This thread rocks. An tough-love support group for Mark V players.

Hi, my name is JB. My inconsistent picking and loose-goosey dynamics were revealed by the Mark V. Good to be here.
Welcome
Her highness the Veenus
(Mark V/V4 & V7 12AT7 Combo)

2 x 12 Vertical Cab
GSP1101

Gibson LP Studio with alnico ii pro
Schecter C1-XXX with emg 81/85 18v
Jackson Dinky XL with Duncan designed???
Sigma DNC-1STE

OldTelecasterMan
Mark III

Post by OldTelecasterMan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:55 pm

It is good to see so many people post to this thread.
Boogie F-30
Mark V
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Two 2X12 Vert. Cabs.
Two 2x12 Compact Cabs.
Telecasters, Gibson Les Paul, Gibson Howard Roberts Jazz Fusion and many more.
http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Peter_Savell

koosh27
Bottle Rocket

Post by koosh27 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:57 am

Hahaha couldn't help but chuckle to myself as I read this thread. Exact same thing happened to me! I was getting some recognition playing live, my shred skills where seemingly on par, and I was feeling pretty good about myself---and then I bought the mark 5. Best amp I've ever owned, but it will definitely clean up your playing! I didn't realize how sloppy I actually was, and in a way, I'm super glad that the Mark V is so focused. It's going to make me a better guitar player for sure! Now I'm just struggling to get my chops up to where I thought they were lol!

dlpasco
Donating Member

Post by dlpasco » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:45 pm

I love this post so much. Thank you for saying all of this.

I hate the fact that it took me so long to get comfortable with this amplifier. It's got everything I was looking for in it there, I just needed to stop using such extreme settings.

I do use AT7s in v4 and v6, though, and I look to Mark IV mode from my go-to C+ playing.
Mark IIC+, III, V, Recto Reborn, TC-50
Sold: JP-2C, V25, Road King II, Tremoverb, Electra Dyne, ROV25
Twitter:mammothguitar

jaslan
Mark II

Post by jaslan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:54 pm

In all fairness it should be mentioned that while it is true that the Mark V should get you very close to just about any sound out there, there are SO MANY other things that go into the equation of the sound. ONE of those things is the player, including all the nuances from the pick and the attack of the strings with one hand and the fretting of the notes with the other hand. But there are so many OTHER things that go into the sound. The strings themselves and the action, the pickups, the effects, the recording, the mixing, and even the mastering. The truth is, even the same guitarist can't exactly replicate the sound without replicating the entire signal chain AND the recording, mixing, and mastering process exactly. The engineer can change the EQ, compression, and even add some distortion for specific parts of the guitar track which is something no player can do. So we may be able to get a sound almost exactly right for one phrase of a solo but it doesn't work on the next phrase, which is played two octaves lower because the engineer changed the EQ.

So, my point is that it may not be the amps fault, but it may not be the players fault either. If the amp is set right and the player is playing it right, it should sound good enough that most people should think it sounds good. Anyone who has a good enough ear to hear the subtle differences should also be experienced enough to know that there is more to the sound than just the amp and the player.

It always bugs me a little when I see a post like, "How do I get the sound of XXX player on YYY song"? And usually people who post these kind of posts aren't experienced enough to dial the gain and EQ of the amp right but even if someone told them, they would still say it doesn't sound right because they don't realize all the other things that go into it such as fresh strings and low action for a bright, metallic rattle and buzz, overdubs for thickness, delay for stereo width, an engineer riding the faders to enhance the dynamics of the solo, etc.