Problems with your Mark V...it's you.

Discussion for the new Mark V

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Wayno
Mark III

Re: Problems with your Mark V...it's you.

Post by Wayno » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:19 am

The Mink wrote:This thread rocks. An tough-love support group for Mark V players.

Hi, my name is JB. My inconsistent picking and loose-goosey dynamics were revealed by the Mark V. Good to be here.
Welcome
Her highness the Veenus
(Mark V/V4 & V7 12AT7 Combo)

2 x 12 Vertical Cab
GSP1101

Gibson LP Studio with alnico ii pro
Schecter C1-XXX with emg 81/85 18v
Jackson Dinky XL with Duncan designed???
Sigma DNC-1STE

OldTelecasterMan
Mark III

Post by OldTelecasterMan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:55 pm

It is good to see so many people post to this thread.
Boogie F-30
Mark V
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Two 2X12 Vert. Cabs.
Two 2x12 Compact Cabs.
Telecasters, Gibson Les Paul, Gibson Howard Roberts Jazz Fusion and many more.
https://www.mp3u.com/#artist/id=8321/tab=feed

koosh27
Bottle Rocket

Post by koosh27 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:57 am

Hahaha couldn't help but chuckle to myself as I read this thread. Exact same thing happened to me! I was getting some recognition playing live, my shred skills where seemingly on par, and I was feeling pretty good about myself---and then I bought the mark 5. Best amp I've ever owned, but it will definitely clean up your playing! I didn't realize how sloppy I actually was, and in a way, I'm super glad that the Mark V is so focused. It's going to make me a better guitar player for sure! Now I'm just struggling to get my chops up to where I thought they were lol!

dlpasco
Donating Member

Post by dlpasco » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:45 pm

I love this post so much. Thank you for saying all of this.

I hate the fact that it took me so long to get comfortable with this amplifier. It's got everything I was looking for in it there, I just needed to stop using such extreme settings.

I do use AT7s in v4 and v6, though, and I look to Mark IV mode from my go-to C+ playing.
Mark IIC+, III, V, Recto Reborn, TC-50
Sold: JP-2C, V25, Road King II, Tremoverb, Electra Dyne, ROV25
Twitter:mammothguitar

jaslan
Mark II

Post by jaslan » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:19 pm

In all fairness it should be mentioned that while it is true that the Mark V should get you very close to just about any sound out there, there are SO MANY other things that go into the equation of the sound. ONE of those things is the player, including all the nuances from the pick and the attack of the strings with one hand and the fretting of the notes with the other hand. But there are so many OTHER things that go into the sound. The strings themselves and the action, the pickups, the effects, the recording, the mixing, and even the mastering. The truth is, even the same guitarist can't exactly replicate the sound without replicating the entire signal chain AND the recording, mixing, and mastering process exactly. The engineer can change the EQ, compression, and even add some distortion for specific parts of the guitar track which is something no player can do. So we may be able to get a sound almost exactly right for one phrase of a solo but it doesn't work on the next phrase, which is played two octaves lower because the engineer changed the EQ.

So, my point is that it may not be the amps fault, but it may not be the players fault either. If the amp is set right and the player is playing it right, it should sound good enough that most people should think it sounds good. Anyone who has a good enough ear to hear the subtle differences should also be experienced enough to know that there is more to the sound than just the amp and the player.

It always bugs me a little when I see a post like, "How do I get the sound of XXX player on YYY song"? And usually people who post these kind of posts aren't experienced enough to dial the gain and EQ of the amp right but even if someone told them, they would still say it doesn't sound right because they don't realize all the other things that go into it such as fresh strings and low action for a bright, metallic rattle and buzz, overdubs for thickness, delay for stereo width, an engineer riding the faders to enhance the dynamics of the solo, etc.

OldTelecasterMan
Mark III

Post by OldTelecasterMan » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:20 pm

I thought this again should be brought up. I just reread it and I got a good laugh.
Boogie F-30
Mark V
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Two 2X12 Vert. Cabs.
Two 2x12 Compact Cabs.
Telecasters, Gibson Les Paul, Gibson Howard Roberts Jazz Fusion and many more.
https://www.mp3u.com/#artist/id=8321/tab=feed

Wayno
Mark III

Post by Wayno » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:35 am

If only there was more time for practice! Maybe the week should go like this, work monday, tuesday wednesday thursday practice, gig friday and saturday, rest sunday? Id be happy with that.
Her highness the Veenus
(Mark V/V4 & V7 12AT7 Combo)

2 x 12 Vertical Cab
GSP1101

Gibson LP Studio with alnico ii pro
Schecter C1-XXX with emg 81/85 18v
Jackson Dinky XL with Duncan designed???
Sigma DNC-1STE

Rick_Sanchez
Bottle Rocket

Post by Rick_Sanchez » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:08 am

I have to confess I am not a tinker, my personality doesn't lend itself to details too well. This translates to guitar playing where I naturally started with basic stuff and took on progressively harder songs. I kind of got good but not great. I been playing 23 years. i don't know the notes on the fretboard by heart and I barely know any scales. That said, I can do you a Fade To Black solo or Comfortably Numb from the Pulse DVD with my eyes closed. To go in and learn a song note by note, bar by bar is very very tough for me.

Knowing this I had reservations about getting a Mark V. But Hetfield and Petrucci tone are just what I want. So knowing this I had to tackle it in a different way. I will one day find time to sit with every channel on the amp and learn it but that day is yet to come.

So to get around the learning curve and my own personality I did what all good IT workers do....I created a spreadsheet.

I now have a spreadsheet that contains all of the settings from the 20+ page tone thread, i've put settings in from youtube, petrucci setting, settings from other forums. Settings from the Mesa Boogie videos of the dudes playing 7 strings. i continue to add to it.

Now rather than muck about with the amp I just try all the different settings and mark the ones i like. Then i turn knobs to taste. it's my solution and I'm sticking to it :-)
Mark V 90w | 212 Rectifier Vertical Slant
PRS CE24 | MIJ #0001 Strat | Gibson BFG | PRS Mark Holcomb SE | Epiphone Zakk Wylde | Epiphone Les Paul Pro Plus | Ibanez RGDIX7-MPB
Line 6 Helix Floor

skoora
Mark III

Post by skoora » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:51 pm

What I like about the V, having had one for 10 years now, is it can be whatever amp you want it to be. It also makes a killer power amp for my Quad pre. The power section changes re: Presence and negative feedback etc that each channel has when switching wattage and voicing are still are in affect when using It as power. If you’re a fan of vintage higher gain then getting the channel masters on CH1 and CH 2 up is a must. This amp loves an attenuator because the Mater volume higher is awesome. I much prefer 34’s in it as I like what they do for all the overdrive tones. You lose the bigger clean tones from 6L6’s but the cleans are still very good. FWIW I have run boogie 34’s in it regularly using full power, turned up fairly loud into an attenuator and the amp is still going strong. The current 34’s in it are the first ones I put in 9 years ago. It doesn’t get the steady playtime it would get if I was in a a band and it was my main amp but it has been played a lot in those years, always at volume.

Markageddon
Mark III

Post by Markageddon » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:50 am

I refer back to the manual's high speed race car analogy.
Not in the spinning out if you're not careful on corners aspect, but also in that they perform differently with different fuel (tubes).
Its a total high grade speed machine capable of speeds unthinkable, along long straights but sometimes its not that kind of track (The player's taste/stylistic requirement) and you might wanna fine tune and adapt it to the task's requirement if theres more bends, tighter corners.

The AT7 swap mod is perfect for that more vintage thing if you want that, or the modern thing with all its highs and voicing with the stock tubes. (But you have to dial it differently with the swap).
After that its all up to the player with their dialling and getting to know the amp.
(And how it treats pickups. This amp really lets the instrument speak. And sometimes different guitars/p'ups or indeed speakers make that difference you've been looking for. But the the preamp tube effect was undeniable. Especially the double mod of V4/V7.
It affects the 25s and 35s positively too, and they never had issues to start with, so there is definitely something to it!)
Mark V
Mark V:25
Mark III (Red Stripe)

rarebitusa
Bottle Rocket

Post by rarebitusa » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:52 pm

skoora wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:51 pm
What I like about the V, having had one for 10 years now, is it can be whatever amp you want it to be. It also makes a killer power amp for my Quad pre.
yea no kidding, love the V and only recently slaved it's power section to my IIC+... wow now that really expanded the tonal options. However, I do not recommend it for those wanting to make progress on any sort of a personal task list... cause you won't want to do anything else but noodle and explore :)

skoora
Mark III

Post by skoora » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:18 pm

rarebitusa wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:52 pm
skoora wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:51 pm
What I like about the V, having had one for 10 years now, is it can be whatever amp you want it to be. It also makes a killer power amp for my Quad pre.
yea no kidding, love the V and only recently slaved it's power section to my IIC+... wow now that really expanded the tonal options. However, I do not recommend it for those wanting to make progress on any sort of a personal task list... cause you won't want to do anything else but noodle and explore :)
Check out setting the V on ch 3, extreme when using as power. It’s huge for the source preamp.

rarebitusa
Bottle Rocket

Post by rarebitusa » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:37 pm

skoora wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:18 pm
Check out setting the V on ch 3, extreme when using as power. It’s huge for the source preamp.
you know I typically don't run extreme mode on ch 3 and didn't checked it out with the C+ as the preamp, but will.... thanks!

Thaymz
Mark II

Post by Thaymz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:16 pm

rarebitusa wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:37 pm
skoora wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:18 pm
you know I typically don't run extreme mode on ch 3 and didn't checked it out with the C+ as the preamp, but will.... thanks!
+1 on this. Extreme sounds huge as a power amp.