Mark V 25 Intense Hum

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdgraves

Reaction score
Just unboxed a brand new Mark V 25 head last night and it sounds great on the clean channel, but the hum on Channel 2 is unbearable, to the point that I don't think I can use that channel for performing or recording (the purposes for which I purchased the amp).

I have the gain at 12 o'clock, set to Mark IV mode, 25W and the hum is almost as loud as the signal - audible even when playing. On channel 1 it's only noticeable if I turn the gain up.

The ground/lift switch makes no difference. I know it's not the guitar because I tried it unplugged (plus it was the same with both buckers and singles). I also took it off the power strip and plugged it straight into the wall. The only non-amp source I can think of is dirty power, but I have no other power sources to test against until a gig Saturday, which is not really where I want to play amp doctor.

Is this normal for this amp? Should I talk to M/B directly? Thanks!

Definitely not normal. I'd give all the tubes a check to make sure they're seated properly in their sockets. One could have come loose in transit. Otherwise defo give Boogie a call.

I concur. Definitely not regular. Not at those settings. I hope its a duff tube somewhere. Definitely would take it back and/or get it checked out.

I'm happy report that the issue was dirty power from some adapter that was on the circuit. Unfortunately still had dirty power on the gig, but relieved it's not the amp.

Cdgraves said:
I'm happy report that the issue was dirty power from some adapter that was on the circuit. Unfortunately still had dirty power on the gig, but relieved it's not the amp.

My Mk V 25 is a quite fellow.
One of the best amps I've ever had.

Latest posts

Back