Poll: How Old Are You?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How old are you?

• <20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 21-30

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • 31-40

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • 41-50

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • 51-60

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • 60-70

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • 71-110

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mace

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

Some good folks mentioned their age in a couple posts and it got me curious... how old are we here? As far as I know the poll is 100% anonymous, so no worries there.

Suspicion is that a good portion of folks here are over 40 (like me) because 1] electric guitar based music (like rock and blues) tends to have older fans nowadays (are we a dying breed?) and 2] Boogies are not the cheapest option and older folks have more “discretionary funds” than 20 somethings.

Vote away!

mace said:
Hi,

Some good folks mentioned their age in a couple posts and it got me curious... how old are we here? As far as I know the poll is 100% anonymous, so no worries there.

Suspicion is that a good portion of folks here are over 40 (like me) because 1] electric guitar based music (like rock and blues) tends to have older fans nowadays (are we a dying breed?) and 2] Boogies are not the cheapest option and older folks have more “discretionary funds” than 20 somethings.

Vote away!

Think you're right on both counts there. No way I could hsbe afforded a boogie in my younger days. Even now only managed it second hand. And modern music sucks *** hair!

If you look at cost of the amp of Mesa over the decades, you will see there has not been a huge dramatic upcharge. When I got my first boogie in 1989 that was a huge chunk of change for me. I had sold some gear to get it too as well as saved up my money. (Also ended a relationship prior that allowed me to save up vs always spending my money and not hers). As it seems I was only able to afford a Mesa boogie when I was single. I did not get my Mark IV until after I got divorced some 18 years ago.

Considering the cost factor, you are truly getting what you paid for with Mesa boogie. I cannot say the same is true for the other amps in the market as there is considerable markup on those products which have a higher profit margin.

I joined this board when I was maybe 18 years old? Maybe 19? Freshman year of college. Got my first boogies with some summer job money!

I bought my first c+ when I was 18, now I'm 52. It sat in the closet for years. Now that I'm an empty nester I've been making up for lost time. I've bought 5 more c+'s in the last 2 years and I'm always looking for another one.

I got my first Boogie ( MKIIb ) in 1982, ordered by mail :) and I still have it if I remember correctly it was $960 with the UPS COD shipping which was the most I had ever paid for anything guitar related, I actually used my student loan money to pay for it so you can see where my priorities were.
It has been my main ( only ) amp until just recently when I started to experiment with amps went thru Egnater, Marshall , PRS ( Still Have a 2 Channel H ) and not the MKV that I have had just a few months and couldn't be happier !!!!!
Oh and I looked this up just for fun -- $960 in the year 1982 is equivalent in purchasing power to $2,435.18 in 2017,

IMG_1567 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/

Well here I am, the lone <30 member out of 40 results. :p

I'll add to the original post that although there are definitely some younger musicians who do own some Mesa stuff, I find in the last decade a lot of the new musicians have moved away from forums in favor of Facebook groups and other things. It's a weird thing because there's a lot more noise, spam, and inane jokes. And it's a lot harder to search out or organize good information like you can on forums. There's no "Here's the complete guide to Nomad mods" Facebook group post, because after a day if falls out of view forever.

Keep rocking IronSean! You are in the right place.

Wow! Elpelotero you have been a member for a long time.

Old folk's home is what this place is.
Also, a library of knowledge.

I'm 46.
This month I celebrate 23 years of being an Ironworker.
Next month I celebrate 32 years of playing guitar.

Yea…. The older guys tend to have the bucks and the kiddies tend to think they can get the same tone with amp emulation. It’s hard enough to swallow digital recording. The tubes win in my book for guitar amps as do guitars made of wood, acoustic guitars not piezo pickups on an electric and acoustic drums.

Back