Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mark V 25 Cab Matching
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:40 am 
Bottle Rocket

Hi guys,

I am a new Mesa Boogie amp owner.
The Mark V 25 is an outstanding amp - really love it.
I have a question regarding the user manual.

I read the manual and couldn't understand why it is stated that: "If you have one 4 Ohm cabinet, connect it to the 4 Ohm
SPEAKER Output. This will be a proper impedance match, but you may experience a slightly softer attack characteristic than you
would using a single 8 Ohm Cabinet." - while a couple of sentences before that the manual states that if you have two 8 Ohm cabinets you can daisy chain them (in parallel) and plug them into the 4 Ohm tap.
I mean - daisy chaining two 8 Ohm cabs in parallel is exactly like plugging one 4 Ohm cab to the 4 Ohm tap - so why does the manual states
that in the latter situation there will be a slightly softer attack?

I have a cab loaded with two 8 Ohm V30 which I personally wired in parallel (4 Ohms total) -
would plugging my cab to the 4 Ohm tap result in a softer attack?
Why?

Your interpretation to the user manual will be appreciated.

Thanks for your help here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:42 am 
Bottle Rocket

Anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:10 pm 
Bottle Rocket

odboy wrote:
Hi guys,

I am a new Mesa Boogie amp owner.
The Mark V 25 is an outstanding amp - really love it.
I have a question regarding the user manual.

I read the manual and couldn't understand why it is stated that: "If you have one 4 Ohm cabinet, connect it to the 4 Ohm
SPEAKER Output. This will be a proper impedance match, but you may experience a slightly softer attack characteristic than you
would using a single 8 Ohm Cabinet." - while a couple of sentences before that the manual states that if you have two 8 Ohm cabinets you can daisy chain them (in parallel) and plug them into the 4 Ohm tap.
I mean - daisy chaining two 8 Ohm cabs in parallel is exactly like plugging one 4 Ohm cab to the 4 Ohm tap - so why does the manual states
that in the latter situation there will be a slightly softer attack?

I have a cab loaded with two 8 Ohm V30 which I personally wired in parallel (4 Ohms total) -
would plugging my cab to the 4 Ohm tap result in a softer attack?
Why?

Your interpretation to the user manual will be appreciated.

Thanks for your help here.

I recently bought the MV:35 combo. I plugged in a second 1x12 Rectifier cabinet so I moved the internal combo connection from 8ohm to 4 and used the 2nd 4ohm output to the Recti 1x12. Sounds fine IMO. Loud and as punchy as you want to get it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:40 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Thanks for the response.
I still don’t understand the logic behind the manual.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:52 pm 
Mark III

I think the manual might be stating the difference between a single 8 ohm cab, and a single 4 ohm cab:

A single 8 Ohm cab on the 8 Ohm out will have one sound. If you switch to a 4 Ohm version on the 4 Ohm out, you might experience a different feel because although it's am impedance match it's still using the transformers and things in a different way.

A better example might be a 412 that has two different inputs: One that's 4 Ohm (4 16s in parallel), and one that's 16 Ohms (4 16s mixing series and parallel). And an amp that has a 4, 8, and 16 Ohm output. You can plug the 4 into the 4 input, or the 16 into the 16 input and although both are a perfect match they'll still sound different because it'll be using the Output Transformer differently, and hitting a different impedance with a different signal.

So I think they were just saying "if you use the 4 Ohm output it might sound different than the 8 you're used to".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:40 am 
Bottle Rocket

IronSean wrote:
I think the manual might be stating the difference between a single 8 ohm cab, and a single 4 ohm cab:

A single 8 Ohm cab on the 8 Ohm out will have one sound. If you switch to a 4 Ohm version on the 4 Ohm out, you might experience a different feel because although it's am impedance match it's still using the transformers and things in a different way.

A better example might be a 412 that has two different inputs: One that's 4 Ohm (4 16s in parallel), and one that's 16 Ohms (4 16s mixing series and parallel). And an amp that has a 4, 8, and 16 Ohm output. You can plug the 4 into the 4 input, or the 16 into the 16 input and although both are a perfect match they'll still sound different because it'll be using the Output Transformer differently, and hitting a different impedance with a different signal.

So I think they were just saying "if you use the 4 Ohm output it might sound different than the 8 you're used to".

OK - thanks!