Coupling vs de-coupling

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinskin57

Reaction score
i've decoupled for years. in my studio with my near-fields, and on stage with an Auralex GRAMMA under my amp. i recently purchased on Orange amp and as some of you may know they have two large plywood skids/sliders on the bottom of their cabs for better coupling. i always thought the ideas was to avoid coupling, not promote it.

last week i bought a TC50 combo and while leafing through the manual, i saw mesa also encourages coupling? what gives, has the general consensus changed on this topic? i always thought it was bad to be coupled to an essentially hollow, vibrating, plywood stage.

It depends upon the stage. Some stages are boomy, others aren't. If the stage is solid I take the wheels off. If it's boomy I leave the wheels on.

I believe the advantage to the Auralex is consistency. Since it helps remove the stage as a variable it makes achieving constant results easier.

That said, (IMO) consistency only matters if your band has it's own dedicated soundman. If you're getting a different venue provided guy every week then consistency is out the window since you're going to get a different mix every week anyway.

Back