Help me choose a mark V!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bornhard

Reaction score
I would like to buy a mesa mark v used. Here are the experts. What shall i look for? I read there was some circuit change in 2010, unofficial change in circuit? Are the newer better in sound or features? And is there something specific i shall look for? Thanks

Bornhard said:
I would like to buy a mesa mark v used. Here are the experts. What shall i look for? I read there was some circuit change in 2010, unofficial change in circuit? Are the newer better in sound or features? And is there something specific i shall look for? Thanks

The amp should have been signed in silver ink on the bottom of the chassis in the vicinity of the serial number plate when it was inspected. You may need a mirror to see it unless you remove the power tubes from the amp. Early models before the revised production in 2010 had a different tone stack circuit for CH3, some components were hand soldered onto the PCB assembly and may look like a mod that is not supposed to be there. Unknown if there were other changes following 2010 update so I would assume what is made after 2009 dates would be same as current.

I felt that the more recent production builds sounded much better than the older versions. Not sure what year the diode problems have been seen. Mine is a 2012 and have not had any issues with the diodes (to date and probably will not for any time soon).

Not much else I can offer information wise.

bandit2013 said:
Bornhard said:

The amp should have been signed in silver ink on the bottom of the chassis in the vicinity of the serial number plate when it was inspected. You may need a mirror to see it unless you remove the power tubes from the amp. Early models before the revised production in 2010 had a different tone stack circuit for CH3, some components were hand soldered onto the PCB assembly and may look like a mod that is not supposed to be there. Unknown if there were other changes following 2010 update so I would assume what is made after 2009 dates would be same as current.

I felt that the more recent production builds sounded much better than the older versions. Not sure what year the diode problems have been seen. Mine is a 2012 and have not had any issues with the diodes (to date and probably will not for any time soon).

Not much else I can offer information wise.

Wow, this is all good information man!
Can you provide a photo of the silver ink signature? Just to be sure...
And which are the more recent production builds? From which serial number onwards? Or which last years do we talk about?

As you requested, the combined initials of the inspector who checked the amp with date. Note that I would not buy a used Mark V unless they also had the original tags that came with the amp. Dates should match the inspection date marked on the amp chassis. I do not have a picture of the Quality check tag but every Mesa product has one as well as the Warranty tag, Warranty information and certificate. Note that if the warranty is still in effect, it is transferrable. I keep all information, manuals and such that comes with the amp (if I bought it new). I have two used RA100's that did not have any details, tags or warranty information. Bummer. Call it case candy if it were but since it is not a guitar I am sure there is a better term for it.

Note that not all signatures or initials and dates will be the same in appearance.

38600809296_e77143a4cd_z.jpg

I am not really an expert on the Mark V, there are others in here that are. I am just tying to be helpful.

If you want the low down on how I actually feel about the Mark V, do a search on my comments going back a few years.

I am intrigued on the ingenuity of the Mark V design and the feature set employed. However, I feel at best there are some areas of the amp that needs to be addressed as Mesa went a bit too far beyond the fundamental roots that made the company such a success. In my opinion, there are better amps available than the Mark V. The JP-2C is more ideal on the Mesa tone. Also there are changes soon to take place in the Mesa Lineup. It is just a matter of time when that will happen. I would save up and wait for the next Mark series amp as it may have Hatfield influence. Not really sure what direction things are going but a new Mark amp with the same or similar features use in the JP-2C would definitely be better than the current Mark V model.

If the Mark V is the amp you must have, I would recommend looking though the Mark V forum for all the issues or praise for the amp. Pro's and con's.

I have more of a love/hate relationship with the Mark V.... Still it is a good amp but then again there may be better available in the near future (well there are such as the JP-2C but to me that is the holy grail of Mesa tone I am familiar with). Now if a Hatfield model comes out that may be interesting.... I am only referencing rumors initiated by others. Still I would like to see Mesa top the JP-2C.

I think that there are a few things going on.
Newer models definitely sound better. There's no doubt that older models have a harshness that is almost impossible to get rid of or eq out.
The amp begs to be tweaked to the point were it could be too overwhelming for some. My 5150 gets turned on and off. I never change the settings. My Mark V almost never stays the same, but for me i like that because i play different styles of music depending on my mood, and i have lots of effects and guitars so i can pull up pretty much any tone i want. But at times it can get a little schizophrenic because you come up with a tone that sounds good and then you turn it on the next day and your like what the hell happened, it sounded good last night.
Also certain affects don't work with the Mark V well. My DMM delay sounds good on the clean channel but not on the overdrive channels. I tried a couple other delays that didn't sound good, but i just got an Eventide Timefactor that sounds killer.
So it can be finicky in many different ways, but i don't see myself getting rid of mine anytime soon.

kreatorkills said:
Newer models definitely sound better. There's no doubt that older models have a harshness that is almost impossible to get rid of or eq out.
The amp begs to be tweaked to the point were it could be too overwhelming for some. My 5150 gets turned on and off. I never change the settings. My Mark V almost never stays the same, but for me i like that because i play different styles of music depending on my mood, and i have lots of effects and guitars so i can pull up pretty much any tone i want. But at times it can get a little schizophrenic because you come up with a tone that sounds good and then you turn it on the next day and your like what the hell happened, it sounded good last night.
Also certain affects don't work with the Mark V well. My DMM delay sounds good on the clean channel but not on the overdrive channels. I tried a couple other delays that didn't sound good, but i just got an Eventide Timefactor that sounds killer.
So it can be finicky in many different ways, but i don't see myself getting rid of mine anytime soon.

The later models definitely sound different. I have a 2012 as well with and 12AT7 in the V4 pre amp slot. It took me close to 6 months of tweaking to finally get the tone perfect. It has sounded great but never perfect until about a week ago. Tweaked the bass know slightly and the amp just roared to life. Now its my favorite amp to play out of all of mine. Still working on channel 2 however. Effects are hard to balance in the loop of the mark. If you use a lot of effects I would consider a JP-2C. Definitely takes pedals better

thediavlo said:
kreatorkills said:

The later models definitely sound different. I have a 2012 as well with and 12AT7 in the V4 pre amp slot. It took me close to 6 months of tweaking to finally get the tone perfect. It has sounded great but never perfect until about a week ago. Tweaked the bass know slightly and the amp just roared to life. Now its my favorite amp to play out of all of mine. Still working on channel 2 however. Effects are hard to balance in the loop of the mark. If you use a lot of effects I would consider a JP-2C. Definitely takes pedals better

What did you tweak exactly besides the 12AT7 in V4? Was it tube rolling or the C39mod or something else? And which are the later models? 2014 and younger? Can you specify?
The truth is, here in Europe you get a MarkV used for 1800Euros and they pop up quite often on the used market. But there are none of the JP2Cs and if there would have been, they cost you an arm and leg. The TC50 and TC100 might have definitly a better crunch, but CH3 is somehow weak in the bottom department in the demos. The JP2C is warm in the mids and the Ice Pick frequency is not there in CH3, i know but its not possible to buy this amp for me right now.

Listen to this Petrucci demo, the 2C+ sounds so close to the MarkV. I like the MarkV even better in this demo cause its crunchier in the mids, more IcePick and Cold if you want to be negative, but more note definition and upper mids, not as muddy as the 2 C+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbPgr63aaQ4

I just like the beefy voicing of the MarkV. The MArkIV sounds somehow too tight.

Perhaps those amps in the video have magic, Mesa forgot to put it into mine as it has no magic. Darker tone I get mud (well I did before I removed C39).
I should try the cross-over bass in the Mark V to see what happens. Also note the release date on the video, it is date 2014. Perhaps that is when they started adding the magic as JP described in the video. Well at least they did not use fairy dust.... so I guess it is not all that bad, magic or no magic.

Have had the Mark V 25 watt, and a newer (2013) Mark V 90W, and a 2009 Mark V 90 W that was made in late December of 2009 so am not sure if it had the CH3 tone stack change or not.

I would get a used 90W version if you can spend a few more bucks. Used they can be had for under $1500 if you are patient.
I am not hearing any major difference between the 2009 and 2013 models I have had.
Both great.

I think a lot more versatile than the Mark V 25 which is about $1000 used.
But, if you want a grab and carry head- the 25W is a great amp.

I have a full V and a V25. I like them both. If I wanted for a smaller venue and home the V:25 with silent recording/play option is great. The max in versatility is the big V. Killer clean ,just breaking and mid gain in addition to the high gain they are noted for by many with both.

Lkdog said:
Have had the Mark V 25 watt, and a newer (2013) Mark V 90W, and a 2009 Mark V 90 W that was made in late December of 2009 so am not sure if it had the CH3 tone stack change or not.

I would get a used 90W version if you can spend a few more bucks. Used they can be had for under $1500 if you are patient.
I am not hearing any major difference between the 2009 and 2013 models I have had.
Both great.

I think a lot more versatile than the Mark V 25 which is about $1000 used.
But, if you want a grab and carry head- the 25W is a great amp.

Hi guys, first post here after a long hiatus from playing Mesa amps. I just picked up a 2009 Mesa Mark V and love it! I can’t imagine it sounding any better. Reading these comments, however, got me wondering if I have the original or revised version. Is there any way to definitively tell?

Follow the link below. The updated tone stack has an 82.5k resistor right next to the C18 cap. This is a board level change but it may be possible there was a fix for the CH3 tone stack done by Mesa early on. Unknown if that is true as it is just an assumption.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=74268

Thank you all. I will buy a used MarkV head this week.
Which 12at7 tube shall i buy? I see on ebay the NOS JAN GE 12at7.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/12AT7WC-6201-ECC81-JAN-GE-NOS-VALVE-TUBE/270762677587?epid=1923223808&hash=item3f0ab69553:m:mjRSnG2s0cj7oRzguK1f1iA
Is this a good one or which do you prefer?

And let me ask, when later if a i would like to change from 6l6 to El34, is it possible to BIAS the amp? Or do i need MESA tubes with colour code?
thanks

If the amp still has a warranty, it is transferrable for up to 5 years from the original purchase date. Use Mesa tubes and flip the switch when changing to EL34.

If you want to explore other tubes from another resource, always specify the make and model of the amp and that it is fixed bias. Places like "the tube store" and "tube depot" will test the tubes to ensure they meet the requirements for the amp. Just remember if you have a warranty, and a power tube fails that is not a Mesa tube, you loose warranty coverage, also will cost on shipping if you need to send it out for repair.

Other than that, other brands will work if you use a reputable tube supplier. I actually prefer the Mesa 6L6 tubes in the Mark V. I have tried others and a favorite were the SED =C= 6L6GC tubes. Too bad they are out of production now.

Bornhard said:
Thank you all. I will buy a used MarkV head this week.
Which 12at7 tube shall i buy? I see on ebay the NOS JAN GE 12at7.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/12AT7WC-6201-ECC81-JAN-GE-NOS-VALVE-TUBE/270762677587?epid=1923223808&hash=item3f0ab69553:m:mjRSnG2s0cj7oRzguK1f1iA
Is this a good one or which do you prefer?

And let me ask, when later if a i would like to change from 6l6 to El34, is it possible to BIAS the amp? Or do i need MESA tubes with colour code?
thanks

What bandit said! And the colour codes are only for a set of power tubes. So, make sure to have the same color coded set of power tubes. The color code has nothing to do with EL34 vs. 6L6. Just make sure the BIAS switch on the back of the amp is set correctly and all power tubes are the same color code.

And yes, the JAN 12at7 will do the trick.

Understood, i bought the amp yesterday and all i have to say, wow!
The amp is a joy to play, its a lead players dream, so responsive and full of rich overtones. Ch3 in MArk IV mode. Later i will sure talk about my application how i use this amp.
Regarding the colour code, all 4 power tubes shall be the same colour, but is it necessary to match the colour of the tubes which are in my amp right now? Or could i buy 4 green or 4 blue tubes, it doesnt matter, i think. All these colours are ok to use with the amp, right?

Bornhard said:
Understood, i bought the amp yesterday and all i have to say, wow!
The amp is a joy to play, its a lead players dream, so responsive and full of rich overtones. Ch3 in MArk IV mode. Later i will sure talk about my application how i use this amp.
Regarding the colour code, all 4 power tubes shall be the same colour, but is it necessary to match the colour of the tubes which are in my amp right now? Or could i buy 4 green or 4 blue tubes, it doesnt matter, i think. All these colours are ok to use with the amp, right?

In my opinion, the color doesn’t matter. Some will say there are tonal differences. Mesa claims “no tonal difference”. They use the color coding to match the different power tubes based on their testing, which is why the amp can be “fixed bias”, because the power tubes are all matched. If there are tonal differences between the colors they haven’t bothered me. I think I’ve had Yellow and maybe gray or blue... I don’t really pay attention. Plug and play, play play. The Mark V is a joy.

Back