First Boogie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas-Hawk

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got my new Mark V:25, and it's my first Boogie. I also own a Friedman BE-100, Fender '68 Custom Deluxe, and a Fender Tweed 5E3 clone that I built.

Have only spent about 30 minutes with this little beast, but wow.... I am impressed. So many tones in this thing, and the knobs respond quite differently than they do on any of my other amps, and I love it.

Always wanted a Boogie... not sure why I waited so long.

This is gonna be fun! Just wanted to share my excitement. 8)

-Tom

Congrats, you're gonna love it. Bit of a learning curve compared to most other amps, but well worth it.

Nothing else sounds like a boogie 8)

Congrats you will love it :)
I just got a MKV after using my MKII for 30+ years
Still have the MKII but the V is getting all the love

Thanks guys!

And yeah... I'm lovin' this thing. So much so, that I'm seriously contemplating selling my Friedman BE-100 head. The Mark V:25 is THAT good. The clarity, harmonics, and depth in the distortion is better than the Friedman. And I was able to dial in better low gain tones too on the Mark V:25, which I totally did not expect. Plus the cleans are much better than the Friedman. And, the Friedman is no slouch of an amp.

I'm going to give it some more time before making a final decision on selling the Friedman, but I'm definitely leaning that way. The fact I'm not currently gigging also helps me lean toward selling it. If I do, I'll probably pick up a Mark V 90 watter. :lol:

Actually, if I start gigging again, I would seriously think about the 90 watter. Question for anyone who owns both the 25 and the 90 watt heads: does the 90 watter have more low end and/or low mids at gigging volumes?

-Tom

Thomas-Hawk said:
......... Question for anyone who owns both the 25 and the 90 watt heads: does the 90 watter have more low end and/or low mids at gigging volumes?

-Tom
In just about every amplifier situation, an increase in output wattage will result in more headroom available to reproduce low frequencies to be felt as well as heard (well, we 'hear' because our ear drum 'feels' sound waves). A 25W tube amp is very loud, it just doesn't have that low end authority a 100 watter' does.

With that said, speaker & cabinet will have a big part in this as well. My Roadster sounds absolutely huge (& loud) through an oversized 4X12 (I can feel the punch of the low mid & lows), but a bit anemic through my 1X12 which just doesn't feel the same at band volume.

Dom

You're right about the knobs working different. Reading through the manual is worth it because there's a lot of information in there.

The short version of the knobs is that on the Lead Channel, the Bass, Mids, Treble controls are before the gain and distortion, not after it. This means they don't do tone shaping for your overdrive sound, instead they shape the signal that goes into it, which does a lot more for the character and feel. For instance, treble adds a fair bit of gain itself, but focused on the high end. Bass can easily fart out as the gain gets high, and most people running high gain rhythm sounds will have the bass below 10:00. It works similarly to putting an EQ pedal before your amp.

then the 5-band GEQ does your tone shaping to the final sound, like the BMT does on your Friedman for example.

In just about every amplifier situation, an increase in output wattage will result in more headroom available to reproduce low frequencies to be felt as well as heard (well, we 'hear' because our ear drum 'feels' sound waves). A 25W tube amp is very loud, it just doesn't have that low end authority a 100 watter' does.

Yep, I know that about most amps. Just wanted to confirm it with anyone who owns or has played both amps at gigging volumes. Anyone?

IronSean said:
You're right about the knobs working different. Reading through the manual is worth it because there's a lot of information in there.

The short version of the knobs is that on the Lead Channel, the Bass, Mids, Treble controls are before the gain and distortion, not after it. This means they don't do tone shaping for your overdrive sound, instead they shape the signal that goes into it, which does a lot more for the character and feel. For instance, treble adds a fair bit of gain itself, but focused on the high end. Bass can easily fart out as the gain gets high, and most people running high gain rhythm sounds will have the bass below 10:00. It works similarly to putting an EQ pedal before your amp.

then the 5-band GEQ does your tone shaping to the final sound, like the BMT does on your Friedman for example.

Yeah, I've read thru the manual a few times now, once before the amp arrived, so I knew the BMT controls were before the gain stages. I love how the Treble control affects the gain, it's almost like having a second gain knob. And the Bass control is easy to set: just chug on the low E until it sounds tight. I don't hear a lot of change in how the Mid control shapes the tone, it's quite subtle compared to the Treble and Bass controls. I find I'm running it somewhere between noon and all the way up.

And having the 5-band EQ to do the final tone shaping is so powerful. I can get so many different types of tones, it's fun to experiment.

I haven't really opened up the Master Volume yet. Is there a "magical" area on the Master where the amp really comes alive? I've had amps in the past (mostly Marshall type amps) that really didn't give up the goods until the Master was in the sweet spot. I think the Mark V:25 sounds great at low volumes; can't imagine it getting a lot better than what I'm already hearing. But I do have a Fryette Power Station, so if you guys think it sounds a lot better with the Master opened up I can give it a shot without pissing off the family. :lol:

-Tom

Thomas-Hawk said:
IronSean said:

Yeah, I've read thru the manual a few times now, once before the amp arrived, so I knew the BMT controls were before the gain stages. I love how the Treble control affects the gain, it's almost like having a second gain knob. And the Bass control is easy to set: just chug on the low E until it sounds tight. I don't hear a lot of change in how the Mid control shapes the tone, it's quite subtle compared to the Treble and Bass controls. I find I'm running it somewhere between noon and all the way up.

And having the 5-band EQ to do the final tone shaping is so powerful. I can get so many different types of tones, it's fun to experiment.

I haven't really opened up the Master Volume yet. Is there a "magical" area on the Master where the amp really comes alive? I've had amps in the past (mostly Marshall type amps) that really didn't give up the goods until the Master was in the sweet spot. I think the Mark V:25 sounds great at low volumes; can't imagine it getting a lot better than what I'm already hearing. But I do have a Fryette Power Station, so if you guys think it sounds a lot better with the Master opened up I can give it a shot without pissing off the family. :lol:

-Tom

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts using the protestation. I have a mark V25 coming Saturday going into a Marshall 4x12 with V30s.

I am a hobbyist and don't gig out (hoping to 1 couple xs year in future), but just home playing for fun now.

Please let me know your thoughts after using it.

Thanks.

Back