Mark V (90w) popping noise...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalep

Reaction score
So when switching between channels I get a pop. All are on the same watt setting as I read that can be an issue. I cycle through several times after I startup to see if it dissipates and it never really does.

Common?

How old is the amp?

The popping noise, is it common? Yes... it is common but you are not supposed to be hearing it. That being said, the switching logic for channel changes was designed to have a strobe mute circuit that is supposed to momentarily disconnect the signal path in two positions (just before the PI and just before the EQ section). If the strobe mute does not function you will hear the effect of channel switching though the speaker (same effect you get when you move the toggle switches to change voice settings and sometimes you will hear a pop when turning on the bright switch on CH3 if it was off. Popping noise has not been much of an issue with the Mark V as it can be on the Roadster (uses a similar technique to quench the disconnect of circuit paths during channel changes). With the Roadster, one trick was to cycle all channels after power up and standby off, and most important to activate the mute switch (usually has the loudest pop) and once that is done, the popping noise from channel changes is minimum or not at all apparent. You may want to cycle the channels on the footswitch as well as turn on an off the mute and see if that works to prevent pop noise when changing channels. If the issue is persistent I would contact Mesa Service and see what they can tell you or perhaps you amp needs a minor repair.

bandit2013 said:
How old is the amp?

The popping noise, is it common? Yes... it is common but you are not supposed to be hearing it. That being said, the switching logic for channel changes was designed to have a strobe mute circuit that is supposed to momentarily disconnect the signal path in two positions (just before the PI and just before the EQ section). If the strobe mute does not function you will hear the effect of channel switching though the speaker (same effect you get when you move the toggle switches to change voice settings and sometimes you will hear a pop when turning on the bright switch on CH3 if it was off. Popping noise has not been much of an issue with the Mark V as it can be on the Roadster (uses a similar technique to quench the disconnect of circuit paths during channel changes). With the Roadster, one trick was to cycle all channels after power up and standby off, and most important to activate the mute switch (usually has the loudest pop) and once that is done, the popping noise from channel changes is minimum or not at all apparent. You may want to cycle the channels on the footswitch as well as turn on an off the mute and see if that works to prevent pop noise when changing channels. If the issue is persistent I would contact Mesa Service and see what they can tell you or perhaps you amp needs a minor repair.

I bought the amp used so I am not sure of the age. I have not looked up the SN in the list. I do the cycle though all several times, including mute. It is not real loud but is apparent though the speaker. I do not hear any delay or mute when changing channels. I just wondered if that is expected. It soulds like essentially yes.

I get some noise but I generally do not use the footswitch anyway. So far the only two amps that are completely silent on channel change (with the exception of the reverb wash on the JP) is the JP-2C and TC-50. Also the RA100 does not make much noise either. Roadster and Mark V there is some noise but not always present. However it the channel change is not transparent enough when all the power settings are the same on each channel there may be a fix for it so calling Mesa may be of help. Also things do change with age and use so perhaps the amp gets noisy after a few years. My Mark V is five years old.

Right next to the serial number plate, the amp chassis should be signed with initials and an inspection date. (silver paint pen) and should be on the bottom of the chassis near the serial number.

Back