Mark V:90 EQ toggles not working in "off' position

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angle Loss

Reaction score
Hey all,
I use my Mark V with the footswitch only, but am having a problem between the footswitch and the toggle for EQ.

-footswitch works normally
-there doesn't appear to be any bent or broken pins on the FS cable
-all functions on FS work

(on all channels):
-when setting EQ toggle up to "on" the toggle takes priority and I can't turn EQ off on FS (normal behavior)
-when toggle set to "FS" the FS works (normal behavior)
-when set to "O" (off) the footswitch overrides the toggle (abnormal behavior)

What would be causing this? It used to work normally, then it seemed like it wouldn't be consistent and now it doesn't work. I don't play the amp but every other month, so I really haven't been monitoring it. I've worked (as a hobbiest) on amps and don't have a problem opening it up and checking things if one of you can give me some clues, thanks!

Angle Loss said:
Hey all,
I use my Mark V with the footswitch only, but am having a problem between the footswitch and the toggle for EQ.

-footswitch works normally
-there doesn't appear to be any bent or broken pins on the FS cable
-all functions on FS work

(on all channels):
-when setting EQ toggle up to "on" the toggle takes priority and I can't turn EQ off on FS (normal behavior)
-when toggle set to "FS" the FS works (normal behavior)
-when set to "O" (off) the footswitch overrides the toggle (abnormal behavior)

What would be causing this? It used to work normally, then it seemed like it wouldn't be consistent and now it doesn't work. I don't play the amp but every other month, so I really haven't been monitoring it. I've worked (as a hobbiest) on amps and don't have a problem opening it up and checking things if one of you can give me some clues, thanks!

I had a similar problem. It may be the cable plug connection if the ground pin or any part of the metal circular part is diconnected. Even with all the pins in place on the cable, there could be a problem with the connections. Mine wore after being stepped on a few times (the cable plug is not flush with the ground and can get bent when stepped on etc.).

My fix was to get a new cable.

I've had the cable prevent the foot switch from working. Having the toggle not properly blocking the footswitch EQ setting might be an internal glitch in the switching network. To start, maybe some deoxit on the footswitch toggles on the front of the amp?

this behavior happens on all three channels?

It happens on all three channels which would seem to me at least to indicate that it is a cable or footswitch problem. I've got a cable coming in the next few days and will report back. Really (!) hoping the cable will take care of it.

Tried the new cable...it wasn't the cable. Problem persists. I used some compressed air to clean the 7pin jack on the FS and amp. Noticed some changed behavior, but still wasn't working right. Found that moving the cable on the FS affected the EQ. I believe I have a bad jack. Pulled the FS open, but nothing looks wrong.

Anybody know where to get a new jack?

Good question. I doubt it has anything to do with the footswitch control or cable since you stated that works fine and the toggle works when set to ON or FS.
If the footswitch controller is switching the EQ on and off when the toggle for that channel set to off that is abnormal.

Without the FS plugged in the amp works perfectly. I can preset the EQ (on or off) and switch channels with the rotary control on back and all settings are respected.

I did notice that when I tried the FS with the new cable that by jiggling it around I could change the behavior of the EQ. Sometimes it would respect ch1 or ch3 and then it wouldn't. The work around has been to leave them with EQ on, but have ch1 (which I don't want the graphic on) with the preset EQ engaged, but turned to zero.

Thanks for the continued help all.

Angle Loss said:
Without the FS plugged in the amp works perfectly. I can preset the EQ (on or off) and switch channels with the rotary control on back and all settings are respected.

I did notice that when I tried the FS with the new cable that by jiggling it around I could change the behavior of the EQ. Sometimes it would respect ch1 or ch3 and then it wouldn't. The work around has been to leave them with EQ on, but have ch1 (which I don't want the graphic on) with the preset EQ engaged, but turned to zero.

Thanks for the continued help all.

Too bad the new cable didn’t solve it. It is maybe the jack in the footswitch, like you are suspecting. You could email Mesa. They helped me troubleshoot my footswitch issue. I remember one thing, that I forgot about until now, was to gently wiggle the plug around both at the footswitch and amp and to see if the problem could be reproduced. Then, unplug the cable and flip the ends and do the wiggling. If the problem follows the cable end, then it is likely the cable. If the problem stays with amp or footswitch, the problem is likely there.

Back