Speaker comp: Redback vs EV vs Organic Timbre Rhapsody

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you like better?

• Celestion Redback G12H-150

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Electro Voice EVM12L Black Label

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organic Timbre Rhapsody G12F

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got some time to post this topic.

Comparison of three 2.5inch voice coil how power speakers used in a Mark V combo.
What a tiring few days this has become. Most of my problems were setting up to record. That reminds me I need a new pair of headphones as the one's I have are not very good. Also need to move onto a DAW as the Tascam Recorder has seen better days. I doubt there is anything wrong with it and it still works fine I just need more control on signal management (will be necessary if and when I get back into projects). I took a hunch but may have been a bad idea or one sort of in the right direction. I dialed in the mixer with a few mics using the Mesa Vertical 212 cab. Once the playback was close to the real deal that was it. I did not want to waste another day drying this and that. Taped up a box around the cab on the carpet before moving the 212 cab so I can place the Mark V combo.
To start I ran the Celestion Redback beginning with the clean channel set to fat mode and no post EQ. Kiesel DC600 with Piezo Floyd Rose bridge (Maple neck though on a Mahogany body with maple top. Maple fret board if that really matters... ) for the simulated acoustic part which was repeated for each speaker run though. The remaining parts used a Carvin CT624C (Mahogany set neck, ebony fret board, Mahogany body with Maple top and Standard Floyd Rose bridge). Clean channel with neck or bridge pickup, Ch2 crunch using the preset post EQ and then finally CH3 using Mark IV voice using the post EQ in a V shape with the center slider raised closer to the center line). I got used to the Red back speaker and is fun to play though.
The Celestion Redback (G12H-150, $169.00) is a direct drop in replacement for the MC90. Note that the speaker has a paper gasket vs. the foam rubber but should fit the standard screws mounted to the baffle board. My particular Mark V combo no longer has the original speaker mounting screws in it so I am only speculating if the stock screws would be long enough. The Red back sounds similar to a V30 blended with the Celestion Crème Alnico 90W speaker with a slight vintage voice to it but yet sounds very aggressive when pushed hard. This speaker does have a long break in period. On the Clean channel it was amazing out of the box. The higher gain channels required a few months of use before the midrange would show up as well as the top end. It does have some roll off on the higher notes but sounds great once you open the volume up. Recommended method for mounting is rear of baffle (same way the MC90 is mounted). The plastic cover on the magnet does add some additional surface area but preamp and power tube maintenance is about the same as the stock speaker as the basket and magnet are about the same size and shape. What the recording reveals is the natural tone of the speaker but what it did not capture was the true nature of the speaker’s character in the room or the immediate response and feel you get playing though it. I was running the amp with FX loop active so I can use the global master volume control. Also I had the tone controls on the mixer to eliminate the intensity of the treble above 10kHz. It is not exactly a dull sounding speaker by any means with respect to the high frequency roll off characteristic which is actually a benefit with the Mark V as it may have the tendency to turn into an ice pick or breaking glass tone monster if you are a bit aggressive with the treble and presence controls in association with a high gain setting. The feel of the guitar and quick response of the speaker makes the Mark V a pleasure to play as it is really easy to ring out some interesting harmonics even at reduced volume settings. Speaker flatulence is noted at lower volume levels (bedroom level) especially when palm muting the strings for a chugging sound. Raise the bar on the volume control and it roars and tightens up and the subtle fart becomes an authoritative punch with plenty of grind to shake the floor and everything else in the room. Definitely a speaker worthy for a combo amp that is 90W+. I pushed it hard with the JP-2C and I could not get this speaker to break up. If the speaker was alive and could talk, I would think its response to the JP-2C would be “Is that all you got?”
Next in line was the Electro Voice EVM12L Black Label speaker ($269.00-$299.00): 300W version of the Classic. This speaker takes some abuse just as much as the Celestion Red Back speaker. It may be possible to mount this speaker in the stock position assuming the mounting screws are long enough but the beefy aluminum basket and huge diameter magnet will pose a few challenges to preamp tube replacement. Its overall depth (basket, gasket and magnet driver) is similar to the MC90. The EV measured depth is 5.25 inches compared to the Red Back which is 5.4 inches deep (which should be about the same for the MC90). Why the preamp replacement challenge? It is the shape of the aluminum basket which makes tube replacement a challenge in removal and installation of the aluminum tube shields. The last thing you want to do is drop a tube into the speaker and then try to retrieve it. Front baffle mounting would be the best solution as this is the method by which Mesa used to mount the EVM12L Black Shadow speaker in the Mark III combo. That will reduce the intrusion of the speaker basket in the combo cavity by three quarters of an inch. That is a big help especially when it comes to tube replacement.
One thing to point out for front mounting, the speaker will not fit into the opening of the baffle. I had to sand the baffle hole by small amounts to fit the EV speaker. Best to use an air driven tool and a sanding drum if you have such available. It could be handled by a hand drill and sanding drum if you are careful enough not to sand a divot in one spot. Do not use a router as that would be more difficult since the baffle is not removable. The next thing to do is to modify the grill frame where the speaker rim intersects the frame. That is where a router comes in as some material needs to be removed from the frame on the back side. Since I bought the combo shell used when I converted my Mark V head to a combo I planned on using the EV speaker from the beginning. So I was already set for the EV speaker.
Yeah, it is a staple in guitar amps one fine day in the late 1980’s if not earlier. To me this was the pinnacle of Mesa Mark III. You can push it hard and it delivers or run soft and it still provides some pleasure. One speaker that dishes out what you put into it. Tone is a bit flat if you are used to the V30 or MC90 speaker. This may be part of the sterility of the speaker. The other is the feel it provides as the response time of the speaker is a bit slow compared to a V30 or the Red back (if you have not had the luxury of driving both V30 and EV in separate cabinets you are missing out on something unique but the response time of both speakers driven from the same source can be noted, it is not much but the differences are audible) In the recording I did not change any of the settings on the amp to compensate for the different speaker in hopes to reveal the tonal differences. This time I played the guitar for each section vs. using a recorded guitar track. I left all of the settings as is and compared it to a picture I took at the beginning of the comparison. Amp placement was approximate as the amp was placed back in the taped outline of its original position. I will let the recoding do the rest for how it sounds relative to the other speakers.
Organic Timbre Rhapsody G12F (direct for $209.00): Now for something familiar yet completely different. At first glance it appears like an EV clone. Paper texture of the cone looks identical down to the dust cap except for the printed logo. The surrounding webbing is very similar to the EV black label speaker (which is what was used on the Mesa Black Shadow EVM12) but that is about it. The aluminum frame casting is not identical and actually was design for installation in mind since it is lacking the casting relief on the back of the rim. The spokes of the basket are also shaped differently. The material used on the spider is felt or leather like in appearance and not as coarsely threaded doped fabric. The Voice coil wire connectors are also different than the EV. Where the other areas of good engineering changes are in the wire posts. Yes the spring loaded pressure posts are there but something else too, solder or clip tabs to aid in multi speaker hookup. Ever try to wire up 4 EV’s in a 412 cab? The OTR has that covered for simplicity as you can either solder, use a female quick connect or the spring post or both. Then there is the ceramic magnet driver with something a bit different from the EV driver. Thick steel plates on both sides of the ceramic core to couple the magnetic field (same magnet driver design as the MC90 and or V30 speaker, I believe the end caps on the ceramic core used on the EV is aluminum). The voice coil and magnetic pole is rear vented just like the EV as well as the MC90. It is heavier than the EVM12L black label speaker. One last thing to point out… if you have bored out the speaker hole for front mounting, you will have to make the hole a bit bigger to fit this speaker (it is not much as there was plenty of wood between the screw holes and the edge of the speaker hole after I widened the opening for a good fit). When I made the recording, it is the first time I had heard the speaker so it is fresh out of box (green and not broken in yet). I thought the one speaker in the comparison was optimum for the clean channel, think again…. This Organic Timbre Rhapsody G12F won the clean door prize. Grind your teeth when you smile as the crunch will explode with a new sound. There is some similarity to the Redback and V30 but yet has a slight EV character but not sterile by any means. Response time seems about the same as the EV but that may work its way closer to the Redback as this speaker is not broken in yet. Both the Redback and EV speaker had a few months of use to a few years of use. I can definitely tell the difference between the OTR-G12F and the EVM12L especially in the upper frequency response. The EV can really become an ice pick if you let it where as the OTR has more roll off on the upper range and is much better than the Redback. It falls in between the two. For low level or bedroom level playing the OTR remained tight, no flub like the Redback or dominant lows like the EV. I have not opened up the throttle yet to drive it hard as I would rather allow for some break in before slapping the voice coil into oblivion like I did with the MC90 (reason why it was not part of the comparison, I just do not have any luck with that speaker as that makes #3, it never performed well at elevated volume levels and I was not too comfortable with the tone anyways.)
Now I have to debate what I will install in the 1x12 extension cab….Redback or the EV? That is a tough call but I think I will have to hear what happens with either….. Once I break in this behemoth of a speaker I may end up buying a few more to refurbish my old OS Recto cab I have loaded with EV speakers. A mix of Redback and OTR may sound interesting….
If you made it this far…. Here is the link for the recording…. Don’t mind the mess as my hands were killing me just to get this done. Spent an entire day trying to find the right position for the mics, recorded several takes and repeated until I just could not go any further until the next day with the idea to use the Vertical 212 as the reference.

Here is the link to the recording:
https://soundcloud.com/user-353100000/red-ev-otrwav

That organic timbre speaker sounds soooo good!!! I love the way that sounds and may or may not have ordered two of those and two ev's for my marshall 4x12!

The OTR and EV are similar response wise. Considering the EV speaker, it sounds much better in a sealed cabinet when compared to a single speaker in a combo amp with an open 3/4 open back. It would be interesting to hear the difference with two OTR and two EV speakers in a 412.

I still like the Redback speaker for use with the Mark V combo and is mostly due to the feel or response of the speaker relative to what I am playing on the guitar. I do like the more forward attack I got with the Red as it is similar to another Celestion speaker (Crème 90W Alnico ). Even though it is rated for 150W compared to the two other speakers (rated at 300W) it cannot be broken even with the JP-2C driving it hard. Note that the JP-2C will peak at 150WRMS at the output as I found when using the attenuator which was no surprise. Compared to the Roadster or RA100 they remain stable at 100W and never deviated beyond that. Even the Mark V will peak at 110WRMS which is a bit higher than expected over the 90W rating. When I had corrected the bias on the Mark V (since I reduced it, meaning raised the -voltage level a small amount) I found the change to peak near where the JP-2C was running. Needless to say I would have included the MC90 for a comparison but I killed the voice coil as it crashed into the driver and never sounded the same after that. Something quite similar happened to the Celestion Crème 90W speaker as well as the WGS Black Hawk HP100, voice coil did not sound like it was colliding but the magnets overheated resulting in permanent change in speaker tone. Since the chassis of the Mark V was getting extremely hot again (as it did with stock bias setting) I resorted go going back to what I found works better as I do not like replacing tubes every two weeks.

I am in debate with myself what would I do, get some more Reds or the others. Do I want to change what I have already or leave it as is. My three relatively new cabs will remain as is (OS Recto 412, and the two variations on the 212, Vert and Horizontal).

For smiles and grins I had to try the OTR with my other amps. I tried the TC-50 first but have not gotten to the Roadster or JP-2C. I had similar thoughts on the OTR as I did on the EV with the TC-50. I did not like it. The same would apply to the Red Back as well. So far my tone reference has been the Mesa Vertical 212 cabinet (Horizontal 212 is very close and sounds about the same). To me that is the pinnacle for any Mesa amp as the frequency spectrum is well represented with those two cabinets. Near perfect balance between lows, mids and highs without having one part being dominant over the other.

What I have discovered with the vintage voiced speakers (Crème90W, Cream back H75 and the Red Back) there is more dominance in the midrange so when it comes to a British circuit found with the TC-50 and the RA100 the dominant frequency seems to taint the amp tone. However, the Cream Back G12H-75 does sound great in an open 212 cabinet such as the RA100 Combo as there is no fizz at lower volumes. Both the RA100 and the TC-50 sounded awesome though that speaker format. It is still hard to beat the tone of the V30 in the OS recto 212 cabinets (have not tried the smaller version intended for use with the Roadster). However when it comes to the OS Recto 412 and the V30, the depth is not there and the top end is enhanced, still it is ideal with the RA100 and or TC-50, it pales in comparison to the EV loaded 412 cab when using the JP-2C, Roadster or the Mark V.

At least that is one way to change the tone of your amp without having to change anything inside the amp but always comes with a cost as speakers generally cost more than tubes and is not always an easy task to swap them out.

So far the OTR is performing quite well. I have been resisting the urge to go back to the Redback in the Mark V. Also wanted to run my other amps through it before I move the speaker to an extension cabinet.

I tried the TC-50, okay I guess. I still prefer the V30 tone in a closed back cab with this style of amp (includes the RA100 too but have yet to run it though the OTR).

Now I am really impressed! I decided to punish the speaker a bit with the JP-2C. Actually I would call it a rewarding punishment as I was impressed with the first trial run with the JP-2C. I need to find a Mesa 1x12 wide body extension cab so I can use it with the JP-2C or any other amp without the need for a male to female coupler cable. I would almost consider getting a new one and toss out the MC90 (sell it or just hold onto it for a different use) so I can run the JP-2C. Makes me want a JP-2C combo but the weight may be a bit much if that ever happens. If you want a 1x12 option to run with your JP-2C, definitely consider the Organic Timbre Rhapsody G12F as a viable option. The speaker definitely lives up to its claims!

For references, here are the links to the three speakers in the recording...
Celestion:
http://celestion.com/product/194/g12h150_redback/

Electro Voice: (the classis has the same frequency response but is softer in the suspension which may make it a bit warmer than the black label)
http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=308

Organic Timbre:
http://www.organictimbre.com/store/p1/Rhapsody_G12F.html

After running the JP-2C though the OTR I may either get a second one for a 1x12 cab or two more to run in my OS recto 412 with the EV or just replace the EV with 4 OTR's.

I will have to spend more time with the OTR as it is sounding better every time I power up the Mark V. I believe than when I ran the JP-2C through it, that softened up the suspension a bit. WOW I was not expecting this at all. I am getting a change in performance level that a Celestion speaker cannot reach. I am almost eager to get a Mesa 1x12 Thiele cab to mount another OTR for use with the JP-2C (based on its small footprint that should fit on top of that compact cab easily, also would look like a micro mini stack with the punch of a 212 cab or larger. So far I love it in the 3/4 back Mark V enclosure.

Does the more recent Thiele cab live up to its reputation or should I look for an older version to install the OTR in it?

I am ready to die now. After some time with the OTR I am not sure I like it all that much. Tone has shifted some during the break in process and all I hear is top end and not much on the bottom. This could be normal or something else. Perhaps pushing it with the JP-2C was too much? I know I am suffering from ear fatigue at the moment as I was running all of my amps through various speaker combinations. So far what stands above everything I have tried would be the Vertical 212 or the Horizontal 212. Combination of both is the most aggressive tone I have heard to date.

As for the 1x12 cab I just got, I will restore it back to stock with the MC90 as I felt that had more appeal in its character than the OTR. As for the Mark C combo I may just go back to the Red back speaker as that one was more fun overall despite its strong vintage voice. It is hard to beat for a 1x12 and it also held up just fine to the JP-2C but not as awesome as the Vertical 212. Now I need to hear how the MC90 and the Redback will sound together. The OTR is not bad but seems a bit too different for my taste. Perhaps now that I have two it may work out well in the OS Recto 412 with a pair of EV speakers. Hard to tell at the moment.

Edit.... Never mind. Too much loud playing and ear fatigue. I will not be swapping any speakers at the moment. (Well I did but will be going back again to the OTR in the Mark V combo again.) It is not a bad speaker by any means and I still feel it sounds better for a single speaker solution. The Red back sounded ill for some reason and I compared it to the OTR in the extension cab. WTF that sounds great. Yep, my eardrums have had enough today. Now I have to swap the speaker back to what it was before I started chasing the balloon with the JP-2C (different animal on its own). Once the ringing subsides will have to try again.

Ever hear of beaming effect.... all speakers do it and so does the OTR speaker. I had the 112 raised on top of the Vertical 212 as well as I like to sit to play vs standing up (I should do that more often). Position is everything and at the center of the cone the treble will be dominant, no wonder why I did not hear any bass as the speaker has plenty of it. A bit off axis and I was rewarded with incredible tone. The combo has not been much of an issue as I normally do not raise that off the floor. I guess my assumption has paid off as I am really digging the OTR in the extension cab for use with the JP-2C.

The same can be said about mic placement. When I did the recording with two mics, they were off axis and not very close to the speaker.

Gotta go with the OTR purely for the crunch tone, that was amazing. Slightly preferred the EV for ch3 but not enough to put it ahead of the OTR. Celestion was nice but seemed a little weak compared to the others, to me anyway.

That OTR though, wow, that crunch tone was really throaty for want of a better definition.

The recording pales in comparison to the real deal on all accounts. It could have been due to placement of the mic relative to the speaker cone as I did move the Mark V combo many times when swapping speakers. That being said the tone controls and other things may have been moved.

The EV and the OTR do share some common ground on tone with the exception of the difference in midrange response of the OTR speaker. The EV is also a bit louder by 2dB to 3dB but that could be the difference between a fully broken in speaker (had it since 2013) which started out in the Mark IVb combo, then then eventually made it into the Mark V combo. May have also been mounted in the OS Recto 412 cab too as I have changed speakers on several occasions. I can tell the difference between the EV and the OTR just on the sound level. During the dark tone passage or low E chords they almost sound the same such that I can't tell if one or the other speaker is unplugged. Top end shrill goes to the EV as it will enhance the ice pick if your amp is extremely bright. There is a bit more roll off on the high frequency with the OTR which is a good thing, you still hear the top end but it does not slice you severely like the EV. The OTR on the other hand is closer to that of the Vertical 212 cab loaded with V30, bottom end is similar, midrange about the same and brightness is close enough. To me the OTR as a single speaker option gets me closer to the Vert 212 to some extent where as the other two just don't deliver the goods to what I prefer.

Low level performance is where the two differ. I am still getting uniform tone with the OTR at reduced volume as well as higher volume. EV on the other hand seems to relax too much and may become more bottom end dominant as the midrange is not very pronounced with the EV. A dark amp like the Roadster does help elevate the EV status but seems to be a better choice for a 412 than a single speaker solution. All three were perfect for clean channel.

After having more time on the OTR it does appear to have more of a natural tone compared to the EV which does tend to get stale after a while (sterile is more common term). If I totally loved the EV in the Mark V combo I would have just left it that way. The OTR is just a better fit overall and now that the suspension is getting some work in time it is sounding even better. The EV won't change much as that was the broken in tone of the speaker. Same for the Redback. The OTR was just out of box when I recorded it. I am loving it so much I got another to stuff into a 1x12 open back wide body mesa cab so I have a match for use with the Mark V or (the real reason) I can run the JP-2C though it. Holy crap is that a plus! I was considering getting another Vertical 212 cab but now with the addition of the other OTR I may post pone that idea.

Once I get the speakers broken in, I should redo this recording. Doubt that I will go through the trouble of swapping speakers again in the Mark V. I only did it since I was going to wind up with the OTR in the end.

Picture of the three in more detail than what was available on sound cloud.

37858226461_a37d597e88_z.jpg

Back