7 String Guitar Considerations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaslan

Reaction score
I have a Mark V (90 watt) head and a 2x12 Vertical Recto Cabinet (with Celestion V30s I believe, I never changed them or asked for a custom speaker).
I honestly feel a little hesitant to ask this and I have Google searched the topic and have seen everything from "It may damage your amplifier" to "It won't matter at all..."
So, I thought I would ask here where I may get a response tailored to my specific amp and cabinet.
My gut tells me that the Mark V is built with metal in mind so it should respond well to baritone guitars and certainly not be at risk of damage.
The speakers, I really don't know. I really only play at bedroom levels so I don't think I could damage them. I have read about some speakers not having a good frequency response on the lowest string of 7 string guitars and sounding very flubby or muddy.
I would appreciate any input, especially from someone with the same or very similar setup and a 7 string guitar.

Won't be a problem. I have a Mark V and a Mesa 2x12. It sounds great and I've never had a problem in practice or shows.
I even had a 8 string for a bit and never had a problem at any volume. Your amp is built to take it.

17 years I've played 7-strings and I've never even heard a rumour like this before.

6- 7- 8-strings, won't make a bit of difference.

Latest posts

Back