Mark V & Pedals.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_not_Pet

Reaction score
I love the distortion that the amp gets by itself. But. I like using Muffs and Muffy Fuzzes (EQD Hoof). How does the Mark V handle these?

I use a muff in front of tweed mode quite a bit. Sounds great. I use Tweed mode as my base sound and color it with a variety of fuzz/drive pedals.

I do not have much in the line of fizz or fuzz, OD or distortion but there is one small block I kick around a bit and when I can land my foot an the switch it wakes up the V into different territory... Mesa Grid Slammer. Sort of an overdrive but works quite well with the Mark V on all channels. Does a great job with the JP-2C too. Actually the Mark V + Grid slammer is closer to the JP than I thought was possible. Will have to try it again now than I am using 12AT7 in V4 and V6 for a darker image with the V (melts the ice a bit with a warmer tone on CH3).

I have an OCD, a Wampler Dracarys, and a Fortin 33 that I use with my Mark V. They sound amazing through it. I usually use the OCD and Dracarys on the clean channel (duh). I'm not sure which mode I like them on the best - still testing.

The Fortin 33 is a 22 dB boost with EQ shaping, so it gets used on ch 3 for great results. It really focuses the high gain to get that amazing Fortin grind that cuts through so well.

In my experience the Hoof didn't bond that well with my Mark V, granted I'm running EL34's so that could factor in a bit. All of the "Stomp Under Foot" Muff style Fuzzes have sounded the best to me so far. The Ram's Head, Tri-Muff, Civil War, Green Russian, and Demogorgon have all sounded pretty amazing in my rig, especially the Green-Russian styles fuzzes, some of the few fuzz pedals I have tried at higher gain settings where you can strum an open chord and hear every string without mushing-out or blaring.

I was playing around with a Bogner Ecstasy Red pedal last weekend, and the tweed mode definitely seems to take pedals the best of the clean modes.

Has anyone tried the Friedman BE OD or Suhr Riot with the Mark V ? Been a bit intrigued by these two pedals lately..

Back