Mark V Channel Switching via Fractal (FX8)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
Quick question (hopefully). For those who use a Fractal unit with their Mark V (90W), what kind of cables are you using? It looks like you could run a TRS to dual TS 'Y' cable. TRS end at the Fractal, TS ends into Ch 2 and Ch 3 jacks. Is that right? And if so, is that the only/best way?

The other option would be to buy a Mini Amp Gizmo and the cable, and control the switching with Midi signals. And if you want to control more than Ch2/3, Solo, and EQ (like the Effects loop, Reverb, Mute) you'll need to go that way. That way might also have less popping noise when used (I seem to remember someone saying the physical jacks were nosier in operation than the normal footswitch).

But since you're using the FX8 for effecs, the Loop and Reverb probably aren't that useful to you, or the mute. So the switches might do the job just fine.

IronSean said:
The other option would be to buy a Mini Amp Gizmo and the cable, and control the switching with Midi signals. And if you want to control more than Ch2/3, Solo, and EQ (like the Effects loop, Reverb, Mute) you'll need to go that way. That way might also have less popping noise when used (I seem to remember someone saying the physical jacks were nosier in operation than the normal footswitch).

But since you're using the FX8 for effecs, the Loop and Reverb probably aren't that useful to you, or the mute. So the switches might do the job just fine.

Thanks. I'm actually asking for someone else who is having a tough time getting set up. :) Thanks again. I will keep the MAG in mind as a possible recommendation.

Based on my research in trying to get the Axe FX to change the Mark channels it was not possible, although I could be wrong. I ended up having to do it through a separate midi foot controller (FCB1010) which is able to send messages to the axe and also has channel relay inputs to change the V channels.

Axe FX cannot change channels on the amp. It has no relays and cannot send midi PC messages.

On the FX8......
I used the FX8 with my V for a little while. I'll probably start again this afternoon. I removed all FX from the amp because I wanted to see if I really liked the amp and wanted to hear what it sounded like alone.

I tried using Y cables. I typically use a Mogami cable snake with 8 cables in it.
All of the cables are TRS, which allowed me to add HumBusters where I needed them easily.
Here is the cable that I use: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Gold8TRSTRS20
I forgot how expensive it was! But.....it sounds phenomenal!
I have another one that I changed the TRS plugs to Midi plugs for using a midi switcher at the amp.

You could probably use this at the end of a TRS cable to break the relays out: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YPP136
I have not tried this. It should work.

I opted for the Mini Amp Gizmo because I already had one. I used stereo Y cables from the MAG with the V and it worked perfectly, so there should be no issues with shared grounds on the cables from the relays.

Another good (really good actually) option for channel switching is: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ContSwitcher

Both of these units only control 4 functions, but I only use the channels and the EQ. I never turn the Loop or Reverb off remotely.

The FX8 has two relay outs on the back. Put a 1/4” cable out of each relay out to the Mark V channel 2 and 3 inputs on the back of the amp. FX8, 2 relay outs, 2 regular cables, 2 inputs on the back of your amp. It’s that simple.

Back