Voicings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyB

Reaction score
I asked this question in the Express forum more than a week ago but I had no answers up to now. Maybe I will have more chance here. Here it is :

I understand that the 9 voicings of the MK V are reproductions or copies of older Mesas. Is this the same with the Express 5:25+ ? Are the 4 voicings reproductions of older Mesas ? If so, from wich models do they come from ?

I don't think so. The express is it's own thing. I could be wrong, don't own one, but I don't think any of it's voices are copies of something else.

I briefly looked though the on-line manual as well as the front panel on the Express 5:25+. Interesting amp for sure. I did not see any areas of mention if the voices Clean/Crunch or Blues/Burn had any intended emulation of a past amp. They actually are in some respects as are most amps. the circuits used are based on prior knowledge and design experience of tube amps. Any particular model reference if it was intended to emulate a specific amp model would be stated as such in the manual. If you like what you hear on both channels regardless of voicing, just enjoy it for what it is.

In my humble opinion, I do not think the Mark V voices are the same as the models listed. I had compared my Mark IV to the Mark IV voice on CH3. Did not compare unless I dial in both to match based on settings that were not my first choice to start with. It does not matter in the end. Each voice is based on an assumed setting of the amp in question. I would rather have features that sound different and it does not matter how it is labeled. They could have been listed as "bland", "ok", "terrible", "ice pick" and "blah". I would have been ok with that.

Thanks both of you for your answers. And, as you say, bandit2013, for me, it's really just a matter of curiosity. I love this amp as it is.

GuyB said:
I asked this question in the Express forum more than a week ago but I had no answers up to now. Maybe I will have more chance here. Here it is :

I understand that the 9 voicings of the MK V are reproductions or copies of older Mesas. Is this the same with the Express 5:25+ ? Are the 4 voicings reproductions of older Mesas ? If so, from wich models do they come from ?

I have a 5:50 and a Mark V.
On 5:50 the cleans and reverb are Lonestar classic cleans - almost the same if you listen to a LSC.
Both are 6L6 amps.
Crunch and distortion voices are very much Mark style.

On 5:25 cleans are modelled on the Lonestar Special.
Both are EL84 amps :)

Great info Newysurfer, thanks. The cleans on my 5:25+ is what made me buy this amp. I remember having tried a Lonestar Special a couple of years ago to be astonished by the cleans on this amp. But it was much too heavy for me. About the same time I tried a 5:25 (non+), it was nice but it had too much hiss. But when I tried the cleans on the 5:25+ there was no hiss and I had the same satisfaction than with the LSS. I did not know that the LSS was with EL84.

Back