Anyone use a Mark 5 35 combo with external cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamster101

Reaction score
I am looking for ideas to possibly add an external cab to my new Mark 5 35 combo. Closed back 2x12, 4x12, etc.

What options am I looking at for a great sound? First timer here. Thanks!

jmontgomery said:
I have mine stacked on a Thieli and it sounds GREAT!

Does it sound closed back cabinet sounding? Like a half stack when you go loud? I am noticing when I crank it, it starts to sound a bit thin. I want that half stack type cab sound. I used to own a JCM2000 half stack with a 1960 slant cab. Thanks.

This may very well interest you, if you want to go away from that thin sound, and get it roaring like the beast that it is. A simple tube swap in V2 position from Ax7 to AT7 type fatten the amp, smoothen the highs, and the distortion is twice the amount of achievable range and levels of rich, aggressive yet smooth overdrive. Beefs the hell out of channel 1 crunch, and Makes the Lead channel as heavy, smooth with huge mids and low end and authoritative as Crunch mode. Plays like a dream, sounds like a dream.
It works on all Mark Vs so far.
https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=73352

The Recto 2x12 and the ported closed back 1x12 are excellent. Great portable rig that (especially in tandem) give you the fat warm grind of the V30s, and the Smooth focused punch of the C90. Best of both worlds and you can always pick one of the other for occasion, tonal aim or to save trunk space. :)

Markageddon said:
This may very well interest you, if you want to go away from that thin sound, and get it roaring like the beast that it is. A simple tube swap in V2 position from Ax7 to AT7 type fatten the amp, smoothen the highs, and the distortion is twice the amount of achievable range and levels of rich, aggressive yet smooth overdrive. Beefs the hell out of channel 1 crunch, and Makes the Lead channel as heavy, smooth with huge mids and low end and authoritative as Crunch mode. Plays like a dream, sounds like a dream.
It works on all Mark Vs so far.
https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=73352

The Recto 2x12 and the ported closed back 1x12 are excellent. Great portable rig that (especially in tandem) give you the fat warm grind of the V30s, and the Smooth focused punch of the C90. Best of both worlds and you can always pick one of the other for occasion, tonal aim or to save trunk space. :)

That's any easy mod for me to do. Cool. Thanks for the cab info as well.

Thiele with Fillmore. Sounds massive.
35618171230_ce6b440be8_b.jpg

sloanthebone said:

So, question... Does the added speaker add to the fullness of the Mark 5 35 amp? Like a half stack type sound? Thanks.

screamster101 said:
sloanthebone said:

So, question... Does the added speaker add to the fullness of the Mark 5 35 amp? Like a half stack type sound? Thanks.

Yes it does. Big time. The Thiele cab brings the low end that the combo is missing. The Thiele came with a c90 however so I bought a Fillmore to give it a try and it will stay.

Plus, the Thiele is the same size as the combo so as you see they look great together.

I have a Mark V:35 combo that I use with a 1x12 Theile at home... but for my Black Sabbath tribute I run it through 2 - 4x12 metal grille halfback Mesa cabs and it will rip your face off. Running extreme mode with gain at about 11:30. Punchiest sound I have ever had... It's a beast!

I have run my Mark V 35 combo through my Mesa 212 and it sounds great. The other day I replaced the stock C90 with a Celestion Century Vintage speaker. What a difference! Love it even more now and about 10lbs lighter! I am not putting a 12at7 in my amp. That tube reduces gain and that is the last thing I want to do on this amp or any of my amps.

It's not quite that simple, but if the amp is working for you as it is, that's great. I changed it in both of mine and may never go back. And I use the high gain channel the most. They just sound better with the AT7 in V4 of the Mark V or V2 of the Mark V25. Turn the gain up just a little and you have your gain back but with better tone.

It is actually simple.
Better tone is subjective to what one's ears hear and no set of ears are necessarily better than someone else.

In any case, like you said, if it works then all the more power to you. All good!

:D

I'm running the 35 head and 2x12 recto vertical cab but am disappointed in the overall body of sound compared to when I was using my (now sold 1960A quad).

What are your thoughts on getting that full quad sound, the thumping bottom end.
Can I get that out of any other speaker combo? Ideally I can't physically lift a quad these days but I do want a solid chunk and thump from my rig.

Latest posts

Back