ANOTHER Thread About Speakers...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_not_Pet

Reaction score
Okay, quick and to the point.

I am about to buy a Boogie. Either a V90, V35, or JP-2C. Havent decided. BUT I know that they all have that IIC+ tone in there somewhere and thats what I want. That liquid Petrucci lead tone with nice rhythm and cleans as well.

I currently own 2 different 2x12 cabs. An Avatar diagonal 2x12 with Greenbacks and a Dr. Z backline 2x12 with a Creamback and a G12H30. Is the difference in these speakers and the V30 drastic enough for me to buy a new cab or speakers? Or would one of these cabs sound just as good?

and once again: you will have to listen to it for a while and decide if *you* like the tone or not. nobody can tell you what your stuff sounds like except you.

I have the same questions about cabs. There are tons of options and I unfortunately don't have any cabs in hand yet. So I'm starting from scratch...and regardless of how many times this question may be asked, I enjoy reading the answers and opinions!

I did have a mesa pr guy tell me the half open and half closed cab with v30's is a great can...FWIW.

The following is from forum member who helped me (I am leaning toward the tc-50, so this applies to that conversation):

I found with the TC-50 it does not matter what cab is used. Performs well with EV, V30, G12H75 creambacks. The Crème 90W Alnico was a bit too vintage in tone for my taste but works well with the Mark V. The Cream backs I have installed in the RA100 combo and those sound awesome. However my preference is the Vertical 212 as that cabinet makes anything sound huge. I vote for a 212 cab, format probably does not matter much. If you are going aftermarket cab, make sure to check dimensions and get something close to the Vertical or horizontal 212 cab. if the cab has a footprint on top that is 22.75" wide x 10.5" deep, the head will fit that. You can run a 16 ohm cab from the amp but will not be as loud as the 8 ohm cab. Best to look for 8 ohm cab. If you can find two 16 ohm cabs cheap, you can run both of them on the TC-50 using the 8 ohm setting. Note that the impedance selection is a switch and the amp does not have all the taps available like the other models (RA100 is the same way). TC-50 only has a parallel out (two jacks in parallel). two 16 cabs set to 8 ohms, or two 8 ohm cabs set to 4 ohms.

I personally favor the Mesa Vert 212. I even left a review on Sweetwater website. There may be other brands of cabs on the market. Someone in the forums may have something to add to alternate cab choices. Do not just limit yourself to the TC-50 forum, I would also ask in the Mark V area too but just for cab choice as there is more traffic there or on the general forum just under the main header after you select the modern vs vintage. May even be something in the classifieds forum.

I don't like low wattage speakers for the Mark series personally. I never use anything below 75 watts.

Other than the proven C90s, I've had good results with Celestion Lead 80s and G12H-100s.

John_not_Pet said:
Okay, quick and to the point.

I am about to buy a Boogie. Either a V90, V35, or JP-2C. Havent decided. BUT I know that they all have that IIC+ tone in there somewhere and thats what I want. That liquid Petrucci lead tone with nice rhythm and cleans as well.

I currently own 2 different 2x12 cabs. An Avatar diagonal 2x12 with Greenbacks and a Dr. Z backline 2x12 with a Creamback and a G12H30. Is the difference in these speakers and the V30 drastic enough for me to buy a new cab or speakers? Or would one of these cabs sound just as good?

Speaker choice is pretty subjective. Those are all good speakers, but if you're looking for Petrucci's tone you're probably not going to find it in those speakers. Those speakers should give you great results, but it's not going to be the classic Mesa sound.

And on a side note, your Avatar can only handle 50w while your DrZ will take 60w. Something to keep in mind if you're looking at the 90/100w models.

As everyone else has stated... If not on this post but in others as well relating to speakers.... it is in the ear of the player that matters. However I can give you some suggestions on the cab power rating for each.

Mark V:90WRMS, this amp can supply 110WRMS peak power but will be perfectly fine with the MC90 as a combo amp. However the 2x12 cab with the Greenbacks may be a problem (depending on what wattage the greenbacks are , 30W or the 25W, as the combined wattage would either be 60W or 50W) you would be limited to using the Mark V 90W in the 45W or 10W mode. If it is a 16 ohm cab you may be able to get away with the 90W setting.

JP-2C:100WRMS (+) This puppy pumps out 150W peak RMS. I was surprised that it was almost maxing out the attenuator I have. I double checked to verify it was not measuring peak wattage, nope it is RMS. Still this is just a peak reading and will be fine with most 212 cabs rated for 120W My personal favorite is the Mesa Vertical 212 but if you have a cabinet already use what you have.
Forget about using the 212 greenback cab with a JP-2C, even at the 60W power level the speakers would be toast or damaged.

The V35 should be no issue with either of the cabinets you have.

Back