Another New Guy With A Mark V.

Discussion for the new Mark V

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

sergiodeblanc
Bottle Rocket

Another New Guy With A Mark V.

Post by sergiodeblanc » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:03 pm

Hey guys, just took possession of a Mk V head and psyched to being back to Boogie. I was a long time user of the amps and then somehow lost my way... My life has been meaningless the last few years playing other amps.

I just wanted to say hello and thank you all ahead of time.

-Sergio

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

Re: Another New Guy With A Mark V.

Post by screamingdaisy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:26 am

Hi.

I made the same mistake a number of years back and have never regretted the decision to return.
Ignore the hype and trust your ears. Play more, buy less = better tone.

Bankim
Mark II

Post by Bankim » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:52 am

Congratulations on the Mark V. Love mine. It's an awesome amp. It's does take a while to dial in the tones with the 9 different voicings but when it's on, it's pure tonal purity and a joy to play with. I have had mine for about 3 years and still find new tones .. :D
Mesa Mark V Head
2x12 V30s Custom
Digitech RP1000
ProCo Rat 2, DD 3
Guitars : EBMM JP6 Fully Loaded, Fender Am Stratocaster, Ibanez RG370DXL

sergiodeblanc
Bottle Rocket

Post by sergiodeblanc » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm pretty psyched.

nevermind
Bottle Rocket

Post by nevermind » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:17 pm

What made you go with the 90w, 3 channel, 9 sound big hoss when there are soooooooooooooooooo many, much LIGHTER choices? I'm actually serious with the question because after owning and selling a V:25 Express, then an Express+, and now running the Mark V 25. I keep thinking I should have just bought the 90w 3 channel and gotten the job done. Did you get the 100lb combo or the 80lb head? How bulky is that puppy and what do you have it connected into?

mace
Mark III

Post by mace » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:00 am

nevermind wrote:Did you get the 100lb combo or the 80lb head? How bulky is that puppy and what do you have it connected into?
The Mark V 90W head is about 45 lbs. And each pound is worth it's weight in gold.
Rankings: #1 Mark V head, #1b TC50 combo, #3 Rectoverb 25 head

IronSean
Mark III

Post by IronSean » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:03 am

Yeah, the head isn't that bad for weight. And it's small compared to many other heads which helps with portability too. That said, I still think I'll snatch up a 25 or 35 if a used one ever pops up for a decent price just to lug to jams.

But I do like the more fully featured 90w version. Even if they don't get used much, it's fun to have Tweed, Edge, and Mark I modes, and to set up a Clean, Crunch, and Lead. The 10 watt single ended mode is fun too.
Mark V
Studio Preamp
formerly: Quad Preamp, Rocket 44 112

sergiodeblanc
Bottle Rocket

Post by sergiodeblanc » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:40 am

nevermind wrote:What made you go with the 90w, 3 channel, 9 sound big hoss when there are soooooooooooooooooo many, much LIGHTER choices? I'm actually serious with the question because after owning and selling a V:25 Express, then an Express+, and now running the Mark V 25. I keep thinking I should have just bought the 90w 3 channel and gotten the job done. Did you get the 100lb combo or the 80lb head? How bulky is that puppy and what do you have it connected into?
Price, mostly. A buddy of mine made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I had looked at smaller stuff but then figured I wouldn't regret a head, all the modes, and enough volume to stun small animals. Unfortunately, it's not plugged into anything at the moment. It's wrapped in a garbage bag, stashed in my basement storeroom, hidden from my girl, and all the drywall dust from my present home renovation. I'm hoping she'll be distracted enough by new appliances and furniture to not notice it for a bit... or the 2x12. :P

nevermind
Bottle Rocket

Post by nevermind » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:18 pm

Sounds like you have it all planned out! Congrats on getting a great amp...

Markageddon
Mark III

Post by Markageddon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:10 pm

Yes well done. You picked a great time to get one in. Plenty of exciting things happening with these amazing beasts.
Mark V
Mark V:25
Mark III (Red Stripe)

sergiodeblanc
Bottle Rocket

Post by sergiodeblanc » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:35 pm

Markageddon wrote:Yes well done. You picked a great time to get one in. Plenty of exciting things happening with these amazing beasts.
From poking around it seems I should just go ahead and order some 12AT7's, huh?

nevermind
Bottle Rocket

Post by nevermind » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:50 pm

sergiodeblanc wrote:From poking around it seems I should just go ahead and order some 12AT7's, huh?
I believe some would play it first but I have no idea who that might be! :mrgreen: FWIW, I've been reading the thread on the big Mark V and then rolling tubes like a mad man in my Mark V:25 head. I also just put an Eminence Legend EM12 in my mini recto-slant cab. I'm pretty sure I've confused the daylights out of the amp and my ears. Time for me to play it for a week or two and leave it alone.

bandit2013
Triple Recto

Post by bandit2013 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:38 pm

I would play the amp first before swapping just one tube to the 12AT7, If you bought the amp used, you may as well get new tubes anyway so I would opt for the 12AT7 for V4 position and get stock tubes for the rest including the rectifier and 6L6 tubes.

I found the Mesa 12AT7 to be on the bright side, the JAN/Phillips 12AT7 is much better (a bit warmer in tone and definitely kills the JP-2C tone on all 3 CH3 voices).

Markageddon
Mark III

Post by Markageddon » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:52 pm

sergiodeblanc wrote:
Markageddon wrote:Yes well done. You picked a great time to get one in. Plenty of exciting things happening with these amazing beasts.
From poking around it seems I should just go ahead and order some 12AT7's, huh?
It...is...your.....des-tinyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.... 8)
Mark V
Mark V:25
Mark III (Red Stripe)

6's&7's
Bottle Rocket

Post by 6's&7's » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:01 pm

bandit2013 wrote:I would play the amp first before swapping just one tube to the 12AT7, If you bought the amp used, you may as well get new tubes anyway so I would opt for the 12AT7 for V4 position and get stock tubes for the rest including the rectifier and 6L6 tubes.

I found the Mesa 12AT7 to be on the bright side, the JAN/Phillips 12AT7 is much better (a bit warmer in tone and definitely kills the JP-2C tone on all 3 CH3 voices).
Hey all...! Another new guy here as well who also recently replaced the V6 stock tube in my MkV with a AT7 (mesa brand, though I'm tempted to get the J/P tube and give it a try just for fun!)

Found that the tube swap much helped the gain structure/signal out; took away some of the "sterile" or "artificial" artifacts in the gain structure. Kinda difficult to describe but its definitely there compared to my early models Mk IVa / Triaxis.

(Should also mention I use an Axe Ultra 4CM so that is a big part of my signal processing with additional EQ blocks available to tweak the tone...)
Mesa Amp Arsenal:

Stiletto Stg 2
Single Rectifier
Mark III Red
Mark IVa
Mark V
TriAxis