smoking tone - chan 2 Mark I mode

Discussion for the new Mark V

Moderators: Grandor, ned, Guitarzan, Platypus

elpingua
Mark III

smoking tone - chan 2 Mark I mode

Post by elpingua » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi guys,

I've always had problems getting Channel 2 into high gain territory without it sounding weird. Anyway after experimentation found this sound. It sounds great for leads and rythem - I used preset EQ at about 45%. It sounds good with EQ on or off - if you want more extreme gain use EQ and throw an OD boost in front and it will melt your face off. Just roll back the gain if you want more of early heavy metal vibe also sounds pretty gnarly with bridge pickup.

Added side bonus: If you are an all heavy sounds type of player this sound has an added bonus of reserving your sliders EQ for channel 3 (ie your not sharing EQ settings on both channels).

I'm on tube mode, 45 watts, Mark I mode, Thick is set to On.

Really digging this sound. Hope you like it:

---------------------------
Mesa Mark V
Mesa 2x Vertical cab
Musicman Axis
PRS SE Singlecut

dlpasco
Donating Member

Re: smoking tone - chan 2 Mark I mode

Post by dlpasco » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:39 am

No recordings to go with it? :(

elpingua wrote:Hi guys,

I've always had problems getting Channel 2 into high gain territory without it sounding weird. Anyway after experimentation found this sound. It sounds great for leads and rythem - I used preset EQ at about 45%. It sounds good with EQ on or off - if you want more extreme gain use EQ and throw an OD boost in front and it will melt your face off. Just roll back the gain if you want more of early heavy metal vibe also sounds pretty gnarly with bridge pickup.

Added side bonus: If you are an all heavy sounds type of player this sound has an added bonus of reserving your sliders EQ for channel 3 (ie your not sharing EQ settings on both channels).

I'm on tube mode, 45 watts, Mark I mode, Thick is set to On.

Really digging this sound. Hope you like it:

Mark IIC+, III, V, Recto Reborn, TC-50
Sold: JP-2C, V25, Road King II, Tremoverb, Electra Dyne, ROV25
Twitter:mammothguitar

elpingua
Mark III

Post by elpingua » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:37 pm

Not really setup to record myself but I'll see what I can do.

Couple of things. As the Mark V is very responsive to your guitars tone this setting is as well. On my Axis (which is brigher) I run the presence lower at about 30%. With my JPXI which is slightly darker sounder I run presence about 50% shown in the picture.

I also run a Maxon OD9 in front but its set as a boost - distortion 0%, tone 50% (no cut or boost) and level at 100%. I really like this tone alot. I was considering leaving the Mark V but im so pleased.
---------------------------
Mesa Mark V
Mesa 2x Vertical cab
Musicman Axis
PRS SE Singlecut

Dreamtheaterrules
Mark IV

Post by Dreamtheaterrules » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:51 am

I have never used the Mark I with the preset EQ because Mark I always needed treble and presence turned way up and bass all the way down or close to it. Using the Preset made it WAY too bassy. I see you have the treble way down though, which could change things considerably. Have to give this a look.
Mesa Boogie Mark V, Mark V25, PRS Archon, PRS Custom 50