NAD: Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloanthebone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I recently moved a 1000 miles and was in town for less than 24 hours and snagged a 2 year old Mark V, Mesa widebody 1x12, extra face plate for Mark V (black) and $300 worth of tubes with all the retail boxes from a great guy on craigslist. Want to know how happy my wife was? [​IMG]

Anywho, I have been wanting one of these forever and have ignored it for far too long. Just getting to know it, awesome amp. As you can see I have the Mark V:35 also and i think they sound remarkably alike.

I am using a Mesa 1x12 open back and closed back for each of the Mark V and TC50. All with Mesa c90s. I also have a Mesa Fillmore speaker coming that will replace the C90 in the closed back cab for the TC50.

BTW, while I am still learning the modes and tones of the Mark V, my TC50 is probably my favorite amp that I have owned.

Already have done the Jan Philips 12AT7 replacement. Currently running 6L6s but will be switching over to each of the 2 sets of EL34s that came with the amp.

34502265144_6d4b875417_b.jpg

35305899686_3761c69b65_b.jpg

34770288103_05da366e61_b.jpg

Some updated pics with new a new cab.....
35618171230_ce6b440be8_b.jpg

35618170750_8a7ee318ec_b.jpg

sloanthebone said:
.... The V:35 sounds a little fuller because of the Theile but I will be looking for another 1x12 cab for the Mark V and dropping in a Mesa Fillmore to give me the same feel of my V:35 set up. (c90 combo with Fillmore in the Theile).

Congratulations on your new Mark V. It is a great amp and the JAN 12AT7 mod helps it tremendously.

Though I am surprised that the V 35 sounds fuller when compared to its big brother. I can see that you are running it in 45 watt mode and I can say that there is quite a difference between 45 vs 90 watt. The 45 watt setting compresses the sound of the amp a bit whereas, in the full 90 watt mode, the amp just roars. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Edit : and yeah, do you love PRS or do you love PRS ? :p (I wish I could afford a top 10 someday..)

Bankim said:
sloanthebone said:
.... The V:35 sounds a little fuller because of the Theile but I will be looking for another 1x12 cab for the Mark V and dropping in a Mesa Fillmore to give me the same feel of my V:35 set up. (c90 combo with Fillmore in the Theile).

Congratulations on your new Mark V. It is a great amp and the JAN 12AT7 mod helps it tremendously.

Though I am surprised that the V 35 sounds fuller when compared to its big brother. I can see that you are running it in 45 watt mode and I can say that there is quite a difference between 45 vs 90 watt. The 45 watt setting compresses the sound of the amp a bit whereas, in the full 90 watt mode, the amp just roars. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Edit : and yeah, do you love PRS or do you love PRS ? :p (I wish I could afford a top 10 someday..)

I feel this is completely cab related since the Mark V is only using a single cab while the V:35 combo is using a theile also. The Theile is one awesome cab especially with a Fillmore in it. I was expecting the Mark V to sound completely different than the Mark V:35 and was surprised how similar they were.

Yeah I like me some PRS.

Great amps, nice guitars and what is that thing on the floor next to the footswitch? (the pair of white enclosures with the black cylindrical rods and the red wire tap on top? (power supplies? exercise weights? or shoe polishers? particle accelerators? )

bandit2013 said:
Great amps, nice guitars and what is that thing on the floor next to the footswitch? (the pair of white enclosures with the black cylindrical rods and the red wire tap on top? (power supplies? exercise weights? or shoe polishers? particle accelerators? )

Powerblock dumbbells.

Thanks, since they were on the floor in front of the amps, I thought it may have been gear related.....

I looked them up and what a cool idea. At least they are compact and take up less space than a full rack of weights.

Back