Which power setting do you use most?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamtheaterrules

Reaction score
I have gotten good tones out of all three power sections. Certainly the 10 watt is it's own thing and can be very cool. But for most gig-volume levels, most people would use 45 or 90. I find 45 and 90 significantly different. I find 45 much warmer and have decided that I almost always think it sounds better.

When I kick in 90 watt, the mids get VERY thick and it makes me actually get closer to the "death scoop" position for the 750 slider... maybe even touching the bottom line. In 45 watt mode, it never gets that low. Never within 1/4 inch of the bottom line. With 90, it's really down there near or touching the line. The thickness that 90 watt adds in the mids is not appealing tonally to my tastes. Yes, it can add some chunk power on the bottom, but in most cases it's not worth it, IMHO. I have found myself using more and more the 45 watt mode. But I feel the mids are congested with the 90 watt mode... not just louder, but less clear. Anyone else feel this? I'm wondering if a tube swap or two would improve this.

It will be interesting to see if the V4 tube swap mod changes this for me at all. But in over a years use, I've pretty consistently preferred the tone of the 45 watt setting over the 90 in terms of shear tones.

Maybe if I used a 4x12 cabinet I might want to use 90 watts. I also find 45 watts to be warmer sounding and I use it almost exclusively.
I use 2 1x12 closed cabinets with a port.

Strange, 45 watt mode always sounded thin and brittle to me, too much treble and the thickness, girth, and warmth disappeared. I almost never use it as a result :?

That is weird because on mine, it's not only not thin, it's definitely warmer sounding. 90 watt mode is heavier, but is also congested sounding unless mids are almost bottomed out on the 750 slider. Mesa says the 45 watt mode is biased hotter so it makes sense that it would be a bit warmer. While I use them all, I use Fat/Crunch/IV the most currently. BUT, my findings are with the power stage so they apply to all when I do flip things around. 45 watt mode is still first choice.

I use mainly the 2x12 vertical recto cab FYI. Big sounding cab for a 2x. But 45 watt mode sounds pretty big when opened up a little. And not congested.

It depends on what channel....

I generally run 90W on all channels but once in a while I will use 45W with tube rectifier on CH1 or sometimes 10W (sounds better though a 412 than the combo speaker). Yeah I said the 10W sounds better with more speakers, not sure why but to me it just does. CH2 45W does seem to loose its punch and the diode is better but prefer the 90W on that channel.

I found 45W to be more pleasing on CH3 than 90W (this is when my Mark V was a head and only had the 412 with V30 speakers). Now it does not matter which power setting I decide to use as the amp sounds great. Sill prefer the 90W though.

With the simple saturation mod, 90W all the way and as loud as I can tolerate it.

Latest posts

Back