Can the Mark V nail Michael Romeo's rhythm tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acooljt

Reaction score
I've been researching the Mark V for years in hopes of one day owning one. It appears with the advice of some board members that I should be able to save up enough for one soon. I am quite satisfied with the Mark's lead tones from the likes of people like John Petrucci. And my second favorite rhythm tone of all time is Het's on the Justice album which I know he used a Mark IIC+ on (albeit through a Marshall power amp). My fav rhythm tone though is Michael Romeo of Symphony X circa Paradise Lost through the present. Can the Mark V get this dirty and heavy? I know Romeo uses Engl but their amps don't have the features I want.

Minor nitpick: The Justice album almost certainly didn't use a Marshall power amp (and because it wasn't mentioned in any notes, there's some debate over whether puppets did either. It was a Marshall cab for sure and maybe that's where the myth started). But for Justice it was primary the Mark IIC+s and Quad preamps, and some Boogie Strategy 400 power amps, as mentioned different times in the studio notes as Boogie Power Amp Settings. And that being said, I can definitely ape some very Justice-esque tones even without external EQs (bringing down the 2200 Hz slider to compensate for not having a parametric EQ bringing down 1.6K definitely helps).

As far as Michael Romeo... The Mark V can definitely get very dirty and Heavy, especially using the graphic EQ to help it sound more saturated despite it sounding very tight and clean for the amount of gain by default. But you might have trouble nailing that exact sound and gain structure with it.

I'm a big fan of both Romeo and the Mark V and I certainly think you can get in the ballpark. I'd use Mark IV or Extreme mode.

There was a marked change in Romeo's tonal fingerprint from the Odyssey album onwards when the Engls got involved. Things became VERY hi-fi, almost clicky and extremely compressed on sustained notes. I love the tone on The Odyssey and for me it's his pinnacle tonally - not a tone I would ever choose but a very idiosyncratic one that suits Romeo so well in my opinion. I do think even at its highest gain settings the V has more of an organic growl or bloom that won't quite nail that compressed/clicky aspect. You will certainly get close though and you may want to even consider boosting the V for more compression.

Another point to mention is that, to my ear, a huge part of Michael's tone is the X2N bridge pickup. There is a soupy quality to the distortion grain that I think comes from the front end of the amp being driven so hard everywhere.

Cool, thanks guys. I've only ever been able to locate one Youtube video of someone playing Symphony X with a Mark V and I think he was using an external cabclone and who knows what else, and he didn't post his setting. It's a very unique tone but one I really like a lot.

Back