I've rejoined the Boogie Family - Mark V combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gag halfrunt

Reaction score
Hello fellow Mesa fans!

After many years chasing every boutique amp on the planet, I find myself back at the Mark V. I owned a Mark V head and a combo at different times in the past, but I don't think I gave either one a fair shake. I grew up a Marshall guy, so the highly interactive EQ of the Mark series was just too different, and I sold each of my Marks after only a few months.

Now I am going to spend the time to really, really (I mean really) learn this amp. At this point, there are just so many great rock and metal clips out there that there's no reason I can't find exactly what I'm after in the Mark V. I never had any problem getting great clean tones with this amp, but I look forward to carefully figuring out the knobs this time. :lol:

The amp is shipping today, so I should have it next week! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My two cents: Get a Jan Phillips 12at7 tube and stick it in V4 asap. You may be able to skip years of searching for the right gain tones within this amp right away. SHORTCUT!

Bluestoned! said:
My two cents: Get a Jan Phillips 12at7 tube and stick it in V4 asap. You may be able to skip years of searching for the right gain tones within this amp right away. SHORTCUT!
Thanks! I'll take all the help I can get 8)

+++5 on the JAN/Phillips 12AT7 for V4.

You can also use Mesa SPAX7 in V1 or Svetlana 12AX7 in V1 (what I am currently using) as this adds a little chime to CH1 and tightens up CH2 and CH3. I found the stock Mesa tube in V1 a bit too much but give the amps some time to work itself to normalcy first before swapping any tubes. This includes the V4 suggestion.

If you find CH3 lacking some tone, sounds thin or too brittle, the V4 swap to 12AT7 is the best bet. I had played a new Mark V in December of last year and it did not compare to mine at home (brittle CH3 especially brutal to listen too though V30 loaded 412). The V4 swap is the key to getting closer to the Mesa roots (Mark IIC+ as well as the JP-2C) heck it even sounds better.

bandit2013 said:
+++5 on the JAN/Phillips 12AT7 for V4.

You can also use Mesa SPAX7 in V1 or Svetlana 12AX7 in V1 (what I am currently using) as this adds a little chime to CH1 and tightens up CH2 and CH3. I found the stock Mesa tube in V1 a bit too much but give the amps some time to work itself to normalcy first before swapping any tubes. This includes the V4 suggestion.

If you find CH3 lacking some tone, sounds thin or too brittle, the V4 swap to 12AT7 is the best bet. I had played a new Mark V in December of last year and it did not compare to mine at home (brittle CH3 especially brutal to listen too though V30 loaded 412). The V4 swap is the key to getting closer to the Mesa roots (Mark IIC+ as well as the JP-2C) heck it even sounds better.
Thanks, man!

I'm still figuring it out, but having a great time doing it. Once I get some great tones dialed in I'll give a tone report.

Of course, be sure to read the manual! There's a lot of info in there, and a lot of tips that might be unintuitive about how to dial it in.

IronSean said:
Of course, be sure to read the manual! There's a lot of info in there, and a lot of tips that might be unintuitive about how to dial it in.
Thanks!

I've checked out the manual and also watched some pro players dial in their amps to get a feel for how the EQ knobs interact with each other. I'll have a tone report this weekend!

Back