Mark V - Dream Theater cover - Channel 2 goodness (Crunch)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaymz

Reaction score
Hi

I recently recorded a cover of On the backs of angels from Dream Theater using channel 2 for rhythm tracks.

I've reuploaded using proper backing track rather than midi

Link below
https://youtu.be/o11bwSCjCwY

As with many MV owners, I had struggled to find the right tones and use for channel 2 with edge being mostly very dry with too much treble for my tastes and Mark 1 mode not having enough presence and bass that was difficult to dial out.

Recently I've been experimenting with a few settings on crunch and landed on something that I absolutely love. With the settings below there's roughly the same amount of gain and saturation that I use on iic+ mode for metal but with a bit more thump and power. Seems there's also more harmonic overlay as well resulting in a really sweet distortion. The thump is great for anything palm muted and really gets that 'gnck' sound John Petrucci and Doug West talk about in the mark V 25 prototype video. The tone is surprisingly similar to the extreme mode if you've ever found yourself wishing you had two of these modes accessible to you then might be worth giving these settings a try.

Setting below are are using 45w, Tube, Variac Power and no EQ

The audio was double tracked (left and right) for rhythms using own hammer IR's.

Signal Chain:
Ibanez Jem > Mark V > Axe FX (Effects only) > Torpedo Reload > Apogee Quartet > Logic Pro 9 > Ownhammer IRs and monitored through my 2x12 Vertical Recto cab.

The solo could use a bit of work but if I waited till I got it perfect, I'd be posting in 2292, as it's not the easiest to get around. The recording was initially just to demonstrate how glorious channel 2 could be but thought I'd make a video. There were a couple of issues with the video encoding so I've had to make some correcting adjustments to sync video with audio which you'll notice as matrix-esque blur/movements. I got as close as I could without roundhousing my iMac. Video editing is by not a preferred pastime ...

If you have any questions on the setup, integration with Axe FX, Torpedo Reload (Loadbox or attenuation) etc just let me know.

Hope you enjoy the vid, but moreso hope you get a chance to try out the settings! \m/

Nice playing. DT songs are never easy to play.

Might I suggest turning up your guitar in the mix slightly..

Edit : Try this backing next time -

www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/dream_theater/on_the_backs_of_angels_(3).htm

Regards.

Mace, thanks for the feedback. I use an attenuator to lower the volume so now sure exactly if this has much impact this would have on the tone. My output master is at 9o'clock, and the attenuator brings my speaker volume down to a quarter of that. Sometimes at louder volumes it can sound a bit noisy with less clarity, so bringing down the mid control helps to reduce the noise.

Bankim, Thanks for the tip, and the backing track. I usually have the guitar tracks too loud in the mix so maybe I overdid it when turning it down so next time I'll keep that in mind.

Bankim said:
Nice playing. DT songs are never easy to play.

Might I suggest turning up your guitar in the mix slightly..

Edit : Try this backing next time -

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/dream_theater/on_the_backs_of_angels_(3).htm

Regards.

Thanks for the tip. Reuploaded with proper backing track and slight increase in guitar track volume. Shame the whole album isn't on their though. Is there somewhere to get the official stems?

You are welcome.

And nice playing. It sounds better. The right backing track does help. You can play.. quite well..far better than me.. Might wanna tighten up the solo though :) I am not too sure if all the original BTs/Stems for ADTOE are available online. Most of these BTs are off Guitar Hero iirc. Lick Library has a DT set which I assume would have some of the originals BTs from select albums. There was a website/app which had original BT for quite a lot of their songs, which you had to buy but its no longer functional. Can't seem to remember the name of that site though..hmm.. Getting old I guess..There is a channel on Youtube by the name of the DreamTheaterBackingTracks or something, they have some of the original stems BTs from I&W/SFAM.

P.S. Jammit was the app and it had quite a lot of the DT stems. Its no longer functional but I heard that some guy is selling BTs on fb . Try searching on facebook if you are on there. Anyways, keep jamming.

Saw that you are getting a JP2C too. Let us know how it fares for you. Have you figured out a 2-amp set-up yet ?

Regards,
Bankim

Bankim said:
You are welcome.

And nice playing. It sounds better. The right backing track does help. You can play.. quite well..far better than me.. Might wanna tighten up the solo though :) I am not too sure if all the original BTs/Stems for ADTOE are available online. Most of these BTs are off Guitar Hero iirc. Lick Library has a DT set which I assume would have some of the originals BTs from select albums. There was a website/app which had original BT for quite a lot of their songs, which you had to buy but its no longer functional. Can't seem to remember the name of that site though..hmm.. Getting old I guess..There is a channel on Youtube by the name of the DreamTheaterBackingTracks or something, they have some of the original stems BTs from I&W/SFAM.

P.S. Jammit was the app and it had quite a lot of the DT stems. Its no longer functional but I heard that some guy is selling BTs on fb . Try searching on facebook if you are on there. Anyways, keep jamming.

Saw that you are getting a JP2C too. Let us know how it fares for you. Have you figured out a 2-amp set-up yet ?

Regards,
Bankim

Thanks, I'll using officials from now on where available. Yeah the solo was a matter of 'technique not quite there yet' rather than a dud performance. I definitely need to go back to basics on sweep picking and alternate picking practice especially with inside picking. I'm finding with most of DT songs, with practice I can play around 90-95% of the track, but seems like Petrucci specifically makes the other 5-10% near impossible to play.

JP is currently in the US and trying to work out how to get it here to Australia economically. Likely get here mid to late August the way it's looking. The boogies are stupidly expensive here and managed to score an LE at a price I couldnt pass up. That said, it may end up costing another $1200 to get it here which is what I'm hoping to avoid.

Fractal support provided a template preset for the Axe FX that they believe should work. provided the end goal was clear to them I'm hopeful - seems the necessary ins/out are there. Will provide an update when I test it out after receiving the amp. Hopefully I can get 14 modes of bliss accessible via the one Footswitch. I recorded the DI's of these tracks so should be pretty easy to do some A/B comparisons once all up and running.

Thaymz said:
Thanks, I'll using officials from now on where available. Yeah the solo was a matter of 'technique not quite there yet' rather than a dud performance. I definitely need to go back to basics on sweep picking and alternate picking practice especially with inside picking. I'm finding with most of DT songs, with practice I can play around 90-95% of the track, but seems like Petrucci specifically makes the other 5-10% near impossible to play.

JP is currently in the US and trying to work out how to get it here to Australia economically. Likely get here mid to late August the way it's looking. The boogies are stupidly expensive here and managed to score an LE at a price I couldnt pass up. That said, it may end up costing another $1200 to get it here which is what I'm hoping to avoid.

Fractal support provided a template preset for the Axe FX that they believe should work. provided the end goal was clear to them I'm hopeful - seems the necessary ins/out are there. Will provide an update when I test it out after receiving the amp. Hopefully I can get 14 modes of bliss accessible via the one Footswitch. I recorded the DI's of these tracks so should be pretty easy to do some A/B comparisons once all up and running.

I agree. Its never easy with DT songs.. It was not a dud performance by any means. Why did you opt for the bridge pickup for the solo ? On the album, JP's solo tone for this song sounds like he is using the neck pickup.

Based off your channel 2 settings, I could get a nice Countdown To Extinction - era - tone. Felt nice to jam to Symphony of Destruction for a change.. hadn't played that song in ages..

Bankim said:
Thaymz said:

I agree. Its never easy with DT songs.. It was not a dud performance by any means. Why did you opt for the bridge pickup for the solo ? On the album, JP's solo tone for this song sounds like he is using the neck pickup.

Based off your channel 2 settings, I could get a nice Countdown To Extinction - era - tone. Felt nice to jam to Symphony of Destruction for a change.. hadn't played that song in ages..

It does sound like he uses neck in this solo, but I'm just so used to bridge. Combination of preferring the bridge pickup whenever using wah effect, although not used in this song, but I also feel switching to neck sometimes masks mistakes. Especially when sweep picking or fast alternate picking. Once I get the technique right I'll start experimenting with the different pickups.

Also, just a correction on the 14 modes with one footswitch, the 9 modes on the V would still need to be manually changed on the amp as has previously been explored and discussed. I do hope the next Mark, whenever that may be, will continue to be sonically flexible and a collection of all the great Mark sounds.

Yeah for me the key on these channel 2 settings are to change to variac, 45w and tube. Otherwise it sounds a bit stiff... Not in a good way :|

I wish all the modes in Ch 3 was somehow footswitchable.. that would be amazing !!

I remember I use to spend a good amount of time on 45 w Variac Ch 3. It has that nice sag to it which feels really nice on solos, then I get tired of that and move to 90w full power for some riffage.. lol

Bankim said:
I wish all the modes in Ch 3 was somehow footswitchable.. that would be amazing !!

This is the dream. Fingers crossed for Mark VI. That and the huge PT.

gag halfrunt said:
The guitar can NEVER be too loud in the mix :mrgreen:

Nice playing!

Loud for whom? loud its always subjective. Guitar volume on a mix its always dependent on taste and to what you want to project on the song, same rule applies for all instrument on the song, and of course as long you don't kill vocals presence on the mix.

Back