Settings for Recto sound on mkV:90 at bedroom levels

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeronimo

Reaction score
Hi, can you guys recommend settings to get close to a Dual rectifier on the mkV:90? I know the big mkV may be a bit overkill but I only play at bedroom levels.

I like playing heavy stuff on channel 3, mk IV mode. Gain at 15:00, treble and presence around 11:00, mid and bass at 9:00 and EQ I'm the classic V shape. Maybe someone who has a Recto can recommend me some alternative settings?

For information: I use these settings on an Explorer type guitar loaded with EMG's

There are no settings on the Mark that will get it to sound like a Recto. The way they respond to your playing are on totally opposite ends of the spectrum.

I tried to make the Mark V a recto and it's doesn't get that spongy and saturated sound/feel. Ended up buying a Roadster to scratch that itch :lol:
**** you Mesa!!

I've looked for Recto sound in a pedal before. I got to play a bunch of pedals in a store for a while. The Throttle Box was my least favorite of the bunch. I went home with the Pisdiyauwat by Emma Electronic. You might also consider the Lunchbox MiniRecto.

+2 on the Recto. The Mark V may get close but not at bedroom level (and you need to change V4 to a 12AT7 but that only brings the V closer to the JP tone)
I too have the Roadster and it was top dog until the JP-2C came along. Both amps blend well together but as ScreamingDaisy said, they are not the same, referring to the Mark V and the JP-2C would be included. The Roadster may be a DR but it too is different from the Dual Rec to some extent but in the same family of product.

Sadly, this is why I have not sold the little Rectoverb 25 head. Not much overlap between it and the Mark V. Well, OK...it isn't really sad at all.

Here's the settings I use for something recto-esque when my Recto is packed away or I don't feel like setting it up.

Channel 3: Mark IV mode, variac on if you like playing with some sag, graphic eq OFF, keep the treble at one o'clock or higher and don't be stingy with the mids. They sound good cranked. Dial bass to taste and use a boost along with it.

The V is a lot more compressed than the other marks, but you can get a decent tone out of it.

Try it, it's fun.

synthetic said:
I've looked for Recto sound in a pedal before. I got to play a bunch of pedals in a store for a while. The Throttle Box was my least favorite of the bunch. I went home with the Pisdiyauwat by Emma Electronic. You might also consider the Lunchbox MiniRecto.

The Wampler Triple Wreck is an amazing recto in a box pedal. Highly recommend it. Ola gives it a good demo here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRwF2Q-8DAo

I think this is pretty close even if its not its a killer sound for me :)
Running a 2x12 with V30 ( PRS Deep cab )

I am pretty new to the MKV but I have had my MKII since new and others along the way , For me the MKV sounds more like an old Boogie with the EL34s ( side by side )

First EL34s ( Variac mode )
Channel 3 MKIV mode
Gain 8ish
Channel Master 3ish
Treble and mid a bit past noon
Bass 3ish
90 watt mode
Amps master 3 or below to volume taste ( I play really quite at home )

Extras

Add preset EQ for a bit more :)
Add Solo boost

I could be very much way off here since it's been a while since I've heard a rectifier in person.

But if I were going for that, I'd try the following:

Channel 2
- Crunch
- Gain: Max
- Treble: 1 o'clock
- Mid: Off
- Bass: Max

EQ to suit

Settings seem a bit unconventional but getting that tone in a Mark Series is too I guess. Channel 2 has the girth that a rectifier has and these TMB settings tend to get that less articulate but more broader tone that you'd get in a rectifier. Again, been it's been a while so for anyone with both, feel free to disagree. Not sure on Presence control as I'm running it through a difference power section so adjust to Presence and GEQ to suit. And I've only tried this at very low volume and through an attenuator so may translate differently (and more flabby) in a louder setting.

I don't think you'd get what you're looking for in Ch 3. Far too focussed.

Latest posts

Back