thank you Boogie Board!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjsnibor

Reaction score
I don't normally join forums but this one has been so helpful, I had to join simply to say thank you all for the information on this site. In March I decided it was time for a new guitar amp and wound up settling on a Mark V Combo largely because of the information on this forum.

if you care to know - here's my Boogie story:

For 15 years, I've played a Les Paul, a Fender Tonemaster and an Avatar 2x12 (Hellatone 30/60 combo). The Tonemaster rocks and I'll probably never sell it. I had three big problems with it that I'd learned to live with ---

The thing is heavy as all get out.

It has a weird but beautiful glitch --- when the A Channel (sounds like a Bassman) was turned up all the way, the B Channel (sounds like a Boogie!) went from sounding pretty good to heavenly but then A impractically loud. So I ran all the EQs super low to reduce voleume. Still --- Bass knob at 7:00, no sound. Bass knob at 7:05, deafening everyone hates me please make it stop.

Really hard to dial in a good clean tone and I had to be LOUD always.

the third thing was the closed back 2x12. great tone but hard to hear unless you're right in front of it. I switched to an open 1x12 with just the Hellatone 30 and it helped but just wasn't quite the same.

I'd tried replacing the Tonemaster over the last 3 years but never liked anything enough to commit. Then a new bass player joined my band who's as much of a tone snob as me. I got back on the idea of replacing the Tonemaster. I spent weeks trying other amps, researching, listening, etc. I decided that a combo would suit me best and the Mark V seemed like a winner.

So I bought one used here in Austin. Tried it out, loved it. Seemed fine. Slept on it, bought it two days later. I took it to a gig that night --- blew two tubes, the reverb and FX quit working. I was pissed. I took it to a repair shop (seller agreed to help pay for it).

Then I borrowed a Rockitt Retro head from a friend and it's the best sounding amp I've ever played out of. I love plexis and this thing sounds better than any Marshall re-issue or otherwise I've played - the builder put in a master volume that made it practical at for lower volume situations.

I was angry. For the price of the Boogie, I could've owned the RR. I decided to sell the Mark V as soon as it got out of repair.

But when the Boogie came home, I had a couple days to play it and the RR side by side. The Boogie already sounded better than it did -- new tubes! But it also sounded great up against that RR plexi! The Mark V doesn't quite do the plexi sound, but it does get close and (most importantly) it actually has more clarity and versatility. I use my clean channel more than the dirty these days.

I also did a side by with the Tonemaster. They sound almost the same but the Boogie can get much more extreme gain without a distortion or OD pedal. So I reduced the pedals on my board --- good thing because I gained a big ol' Mark V footswitch!

The next rehearsal I had with the full group, everyone agreed that the Boogie was a BIG improvement and they liked it better than the RR. Everyone could hear me with out hearing too much of me - including me! I could sound just like always had with the Tonemaster but with a cleaner clean tone and a new overdrive sound compliments of Channel 2 - I love all three voicings!

I love the combo and I can now carry all my stuff out the van in one trip. If I need tight, focused low end a la Marshall, I just plug it into my 2x12 and run all three speakers!

I put SM57s on each speaker and recorded them: the C90 sounds really close to the G12H30 when close mic'd.

anyway, I hope some of the info on this post will be helpful if someone else is considering the Mark V. After playing the Tonemaster (which basically sounded like a boogie anyway) for 15+ years, I never thought I'd go back to an amp with a PCB in it but the Boogie sounds great and is super versatile (almost to a fault).

jjsnibor said:
The next rehearsal I had with the full group, everyone agreed that the Boogie was a BIG improvement and they liked it better than the RR. Everyone could hear me with out hearing too much of me - including me! I could sound just like always had with the Tonemaster but with a cleaner clean tone and a new overdrive sound compliments of Channel 2 - I love all three voicings!

I don't think I can take any credit for the help, but this right here is the reason I fully love the Mark V.
It just sits so well in group mix!!!

It really does.

Had my first full gig with it in Houston last night. It sung! Ran channel 2 on Crunch 10w with master full on and gain about 10:30. Awesome with an ocd just to give it a little extra sustain on solos.

And the solo button rocks! So useful.

I was outdoors and not going through a sound system. Totally audible to me, the band and audience.

An old friend was there and said he didn't like it as much as my old Tonemaster but that it was clear and that was a lot.

The bartender told me my tone changed his life.

jjsnibor said:
The bartender told me my tone changed his life.

:mrgreen:

Thanks for the great anecdote!

Many times I run a Kemper (due to small setup area and/or volume) and like it a lot, but I can not give up my Mark V. When the stage setup is big enough (when there actually IS a stage of some sort), I ALWAYS use the Mark V. It's the most versatile amp I've ever owned in 40 years. Congratulations on your relationship and I hope you grow old together. :lol:

Back