Mesa MarkV / Saturation 'mod'

Discussion for the new Mark V

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Wayno
Mark III

Re: Mesa MarkV / Saturation 'mod'

Post by Wayno » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:09 pm

Great to see this thread still catching people's eye. Just saw it referenced over on a different forum too. Helps to prove the AT7 works as described for sure!
Her highness the Veenus
(Mark V/V4 & V7 12AT7 Combo)

2 x 12 Vertical Cab
GSP1101

Gibson LP Studio with alnico ii pro
Schecter C1-XXX with emg 81/85 18v
Jackson Dinky XL with Duncan designed???
Sigma DNC-1STE

Markageddon
Mark III

Post by Markageddon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:27 pm

Yep and perhaps another tribute to the V, and the genius behind it: - 10 years this amp has been out, and its still shocking people with new depths of coolness and utterly ripping tone..
Mark V
Mark V:25
Mark III (Red Stripe)

Wayno
Mark III

Post by Wayno » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:53 pm

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Her highness the Veenus
(Mark V/V4 & V7 12AT7 Combo)

2 x 12 Vertical Cab
GSP1101

Gibson LP Studio with alnico ii pro
Schecter C1-XXX with emg 81/85 18v
Jackson Dinky XL with Duncan designed???
Sigma DNC-1STE

sherrillsml
Bottle Rocket

Post by sherrillsml » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:13 am

Sorry guys but I am a little confused. I see posts referencing tubes V6 and V7 as 12AT7 candidates. Obviously those indicating V7 have to be my MarkV:90. I have an AT7 in V4 that I am happy with so my first question is there a consensus on using an AT7 in V6 or V7 on the MarkV:90?

Secondly, I purchased my MarkV:90 new in 2010 and at least with mine I get a much less "fizzy" sound by hard bypassing the loop. Do you think I am doing something wrong or was this an issue inherent on the early models? It doesn't matter if I have anything actually in the loop or not.

Markageddon
Mark III

Post by Markageddon » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:48 pm

I don't remember V6 on the V being anything that made me want to keep it there. It think it caused less gain, but didn't have the effect that V7 (Phase inverter) did, IIRC V7 or not at all, for me as far as swapping out beyond the V4 slot swap goes.
V7 made everything seem richer and more 3D sounding.
Same as V6 on the V25/V35.

But if you look back, Apeman's first work here was V6 (Page 1) and he had it as a cure all for the 'FX LOOP On/Bypassed' tone difference.
Might be worth a read for you.
Mark V
Mark III (Red Stripe)

dlpasco
Donating Member

Post by dlpasco » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:04 pm

sherrillsml wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:13 am
Secondly, I purchased my MarkV:90 new in 2010 and at least with mine I get a much less "fizzy" sound by hard bypassing the loop. Do you think I am doing something wrong or was this an issue inherent on the early models? It doesn't matter if I have anything actually in the loop or not.
I've definitely found that the Mark V can suffer from tone suck with the fx loop engaged and spent quite awhile using the slave out to drive my effects through some floor monitors.

I haven't noticed it as a problem since I switched to using 12AT7s as described in this thread. I have no idea why it helps, but it does.
Mark IIC+, III, V, Recto Reborn, TC-50
Sold: JP-2C, V25, Road King II, Tremoverb, Electra Dyne, ROV25
Twitter:mammothguitar

Markageddon
Mark III

Post by Markageddon » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:56 pm

Thats the thing: Theres zero risk of technical foreknowledge corrupting experience via expectation.
Its an objective thing that works for all (After some dialling relearning for you new fav tones)
Whether or not you can name resistors on sight or if you're the least technical guy on the block: It works the same.
The proof very much being in the pudding.
Mark V
Mark III (Red Stripe)

JD1965
Bottle Rocket

Post by JD1965 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:41 am

Well, I did it Saturday - the Jan Phillips AT7 in V6 & V4.

The results?

A noticeable difference in smoothness to the gain on Channel 3.

Not 'night and day' for me but a more useable channel.

I don't use that channel for searing metal or thrash, don't really play that style of music. Instead, I use #3 as my designated 'lead saturation' channel. I know the Mark I mode in Channel 2 would be ideal to capture the 'Santana tone' but I use channel 2 for my medium gain/grit rock sound.

So I decided to go with #3 to get my 'Carlos' on and the 'mod' was a help!
Last edited by JD1965 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Markageddon
Mark III

Post by Markageddon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:05 am

It affects dialling potential with gain and therein lays the night and day part of the act. If you're keeping it bare bones and low key gainwise, its definitely the smoothness you'd notice for real. And the capacity for more bass before flub etc is still handy even at near clean.
Cross genre/style/gain level appeal: Another sign that its just an objectively good mod.
Mark V
Mark III (Red Stripe)

bandit2013
Triple Recto

Post by bandit2013 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:18 pm

Wayno wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:09 pm
Great to see this thread still catching people's eye. Just saw it referenced over on a different forum too. Helps to prove the AT7 works as described for sure!
I have been sharing this thread with others in the Mesa boogie fan club on Facebook. It is good to see this thread is still growing and many already have been sharing this to others as well.