Using a sun cabinet and 212 vertical recto simultaneously

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctc

Reaction score
I have a 212 vertical recto cabinet which sounds fantastic. My drummer says he's having a hard time hearing my guitar when my speaker cabinet is pointed at me at the front of the stage. When I turn my volume up to compensate, everyone else gets louder and the drummer still can't hear me. If I turn my amp towards him, he can hear me just fine, But I can't. I don't have the funds for second Mesa cabinet just now, but the drummer came up with an old 8 ohm 150w sun cabinet with a 15 inch speaker and a horn. Can I safely plug this into another speaker jack on the back of my amp and use it simultaneously with my 212 vertical recto?

If your 2x12 is also 8 ohms you should be fine if you Daisy-Chain the Sunn cabinet to the Mesa and then run a single speaker cable from the Mesa cabinet to one of the 4 ohm jacks.

The two 8 ohm loads from the two cabinets when Daisy-chained should result in a 4 ohm load total. You could also plug both of the cabinets into the 4 ohm jacks. The two 8 ohm cabinets to the 4 ohm jacks would be a safe match.

Good luck with the Sunn cabinet in the mix, it may be a little difficult to get the mid-range and treble content correct with the 15" speaker. Most 15" speakers cut off their frequency response at about 2Khz, and the Mark V specifically gets a lot mileage out of the 2K-6Khz range with the graphic EQ. Hopefully the tweeter horn will help with that.

Let me know how it ends up sounding, I'd definitely be curious.

Thank you brother. Much appreciated. I will surely let you know.

Wow...one year to the day! That experiment didn't work out very well...the drummer said that the guitar was so loud that he wanted everyone else to turn up!!! Same 'ole same 'ole.

Latest posts

Back