Mini Mark vs Fractal Audio Round 1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jemwiz00

Reaction score
Howdy folks, it's been a while so I thought I would check back in!

Here's my story -

I've been gear lusting for an Axe FX for a few years.
I finally got my hands on on the AX8
(the slightly limited floor version of the Axe) about a year ago.

I used it mostly in a recording environment, but I did bring it out to band practice a few times.
It has some pretty convincing Mesa tones under the hood. I always had heard how amazing the
Effects were on the unit, and I wasn't disappointed.

The funny thing is my goal was always to get as close as I could to the awesome tones from my Mesa Marks. Then the other day I looked to my right and I saw my real C+ and my Mini Mark looking right at me!

So I decided to do an A, B, C+ test with these three pieces of kit. I kept the Mini Mark in C+ mode and plugged in to my Mini Recto cab and began the test.

The Fractal sounds fantastic in headphones. I would challenge anyone to be able to tell it is a digital model doing a blind test (with headphones). Once I plug it into a power amp (EHX 44 Caliber) and out into my cab - it is a bit underwhelming. There are naturally some unpleasant high frequencies that all modelers seem to have. I used an EQ block to tame this a bit. I got some nice tones out of the unit. They would definitely be usable in a live environment. I do feel it's very close and getting closer with each firmware update. However, it just is lacking something in the "feel" department. Sound wise it is startling how close it does come. It has been said that the inventor of the Axe FX (Cliff Chase) is a "Mesa-guy" himself and used the Triaxis as his main rig prior to his invention. I would liken it to the difference between listening to a great album on iTunes and listening to the same album on vinyl. Both are going to sound great, but the vinyl is going to have more dynamics, warmth and authenticity. (At least to my ears)

The C+ itself is as authentic as it gets. Lately when in the lead channel, I have had the treble shift, deep and bright all pulled (engaged). When playing leads with the C+ there is something intangible and hard to describe about this amp, that quite honestly no other amp has. There is such great harmonic content when you dig in, and the amp really sings. I do find that these intangibles are most notable when the amp is cranked and played at full gig volume. At lower volumes, the amp's sound is easier to be replicated. The only flaw, (if you can call it that) is there is so much control over every nuance of the sound, that it can be "hard to dial in" for some. The Fractal unit's C+ model is authentic in this sense, as in it is hard to dial in. The real C+ EQ sliders are extremely sensitive, and in my opinion this is where the magic happens. The C+ is a real classic for a reason and I love it!

The Mark Five 25 (Aka The Mini Mark) is a very versatile amp. I love the first (clean) channel on this amp in fat mode with the mid boost engaged. The real C+ has a great clean channel as well, even though it's harder to keep it squeeky clean. I've actually considered getting the Petrucci mod to preserve the cleans, but I prefer to keep it as stock as possible. Anyway, once I engaged the 2nd channel on the Mini Mark in C+ mode, this is where the magic happens. I really should give this little guy a little more love. It was fairly easy to dial in a great C+ tone in a matter of minutes. I suspect that the JP2C is also a little easier to dial in than the original C+. I got some great saturated crunch and lead tones with this amp. Convincing enough to me, that I may have to leave the C+ at home when I play out. I have been a little shy about taking the C+ out of the house due to its age. Mind you, I still have been taking it out, I've just been shy about it. Haha. Anyway, I will take my mini out to band practice this week and see how she fares!

Hopefully this little comparison has been helpful to some. I welcome to hear from others that have done similar comparisons.

Rock on!

It probably would have been more helpful if you had recorded it and let the rest of us hear.

I had the Axe FX II XL for several months it was a great unit for what it is. I was so invested in it and really tried to convince myself it would cure my desire for another tube amp but in the end i sold it to a buddy who needed it more than I and went out and bought a Mark V the next day. Honestly i could not be happier, there is never a question in my mind how close my tones are to the real deal. :)

Latest posts

Back