New Mark V: Loud Channel Switching Noise in 10 Watt Mode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midifail

Reaction score
Hi.

I just got a new Mark V these Days - i really like it!
But, in 10 Watt Mode, the amp produces very loud noises when switching Channels.
45 Watt and 90 Watt are OK.

I shot a little Video:

http://www.fallensteller.net/Uploads/Musikkram/poppingMark.mp4

I called the Distributor an they said, this is normal.
What do you think?

My Express 5:50+ did not make any noises when switching channels and it was nearly half the price of the Mark V.

Very disappointed.

If you change from one channel in 10 watt mode to another channel that is in 45 or 90 watt mode you will get a pop. It should be quiet if every channel is in 10 watt mode. This is outlined in the manual.

espexp said:
It should be quiet if every channel is in 10 watt mode. This is outlined in the manual.
It should be, but it isn´t.
In my video, all Channel have identical wattage settings.
In 10 Watt Mode, it pops, although all three Channels are set to 10 Watt.

With all Channels in 45 w or 90 w, switching is quiet.

Got my amp back from "repair" yesterday.
Still popping, the german Distributer says this is normal... :shock:

Has anybody a Mark V which ist switching silently in 10 Watt Mode?
I can´t imagine that a amp which is called to be a flagship is that loud - as i said, my 5:50+ was dead silent when switching channels within the same Wattage-Setting.
I read several reviews - switching noise was never mentioned.

My Mark V pops every time I switch a channel. Every variation of power range settings has been tried and it still pop's.

In an earlier exchange it was suggested cycling through the channels a few times to dissipate static. That seems to work for a short period of time, like while you're doing it. But, when I play on one channel for more than a few minutes ... and then switch channels ... the pops are back ... And sometimes quite loud.

I get the same results in multiple locations, on isolated power circuits, With NO neon in the area ... Etc.
And I have confirmed phasing and ground integrity at every location I have plugged it in.

I was told its the nature of the beast. It just doesn't sound very "professional" to me.

A little update on this:

I managed to return my Amp to the Store where i bought it and get a new one in return.

The new one has a slight popping noise in 10 Watt Mode but its MUCH quieter!
Now i´m very happy that i swapped my 5:50+ for a Mark V...

BTW, the new one has a different Footswitch:

Mark_V_Footswitch.jpg

Seems like Mesa has updated them to fit those of the TC-50, J2PC and Mark V 35...

New to the Mark V as of a month ago but I recall this being in the manual. Like Mycle, mine pops on channel changes between any channel set at any power rating randomly. most of the time it doesn't pop at all but when it does, it's always loudest going from a 10w to a channel at 45 or 90.

the Mark V isn't the first amp I've had to that does this --- My Fender Tonemaster popped much louder every single time I hit the footswitch. My solution: change channels only on snare hits (if playing with a drummer) or between songs.

Seriously. Living with the limitation allowed me to play more guitar and spend less time tinkering with my amp.

As i said, I'm absolute happy with the new amp.
The old one had a defect in the power supply (this is what i have been told by my dealer after having swapped the amp for a new one)...

Doh ... Great suggestion to hide the pops during snare hits in the music. Who da Thunk it. Much thanx to jjsnibor.

I am insanely crazy about this amps capabilities to do ... well ... EVERYTHING.
Tone, versatility, power, this amp does it all. As I get a few "work around's" for the issues that bother me (Like the popping noises) then I'm coming to a point where I can not only live with it .... but ... am finding I can't live without it.

You go to a jam ... set the Mark V on top of a speaker cabinet ... and people start coming out of the wood work to "CHECK THIS OUT" with enough "Ooohs and Aaah's " to sound like a fireworks show.

And I haven't even plugged anything in yet much less turned it on.

Back