Mesa Mark V 25 - Cab Ohm question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjbir

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
quick question for you guys in the know.

i have a new Mark V 25 arriving at the end of the week.

i only have a 16 Ohm cab (2 x 8 Ohm in series) now the 25 doesn't have a 16 Ohm port
so am i best to connect the 25 (8 Ohm port) to the 16 Ohm cab or rewire the cab with speakers in parallel to 4 Ohm and connect to 4 Ohm port on the 25?

reason i am asking is that the manual says

"A 4 Ohm Load will work fine, but will usually sound a little “softer” and more scooped with less “punch” in the
midrange frequencies"

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
RJ

rjbir said:
Hi Guys,
quick question for you guys in the know.

i have a new Mark V 25 arriving at the end of the week.

i only have a 16 Ohm cab (2 x 8 Ohm in series) now the 25 doesn't have a 16 Ohm port
so am i best to connect the 25 (8 Ohm port) to the 16 Ohm cab or rewire the cab with speakers in parallel to 4 Ohm and connect to 4 Ohm port on the 25?

reason i am asking is that the manual says

"A 4 Ohm Load will work fine, but will usually sound a little “softer” and more scooped with less “punch” in the
midrange frequencies"

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
RJ

Either will be fine. 8 ohm jack into 16 ohm cab is a safe mismatch and obviously 4 ohm jack into 4 ohm cab is fine. They will sound slightly different so I'd suggest you try both and see which one you prefer. Generally speaking a higher load is always safe, whereas a lower load is not. You don't want to be running a 4 ohm cab from a higher ohm output as that will strain the amp. Mesa's are pretty tough though so they might stand up to that but I wouldn't recommend it.

Hope I've helped.

Wayno.

Latest posts

Back