Mark V:35 - Fat louder than Crunch?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polaris20

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got a V:35 head. I had the V:25 before as well, and now I've upgraded to the 35. Everything seems to be good with it, sounds pretty much identical. I'm curious though; has anyone noticed on theirs if the Fat is louder than the Crunch is, even if slightly? On the V:25, the reverse was true; the crunch was noticeably louder.

I supposed ultimately it doesn't matter too much, since I can just adjust the master, but I just found it interesting.

EDIT

And yes, I fully realize I'm OCD'ing over this, especially given that Crunch was THE loudest setting per given master setting on any mode on the V:25. And when I say Fat is louder on this amp, I mean it's so minor that it could come down to the Crunch being more compressed; it's that little. I guess I'm just surprised, given how it was on my old 25. :D

jmontgomery said:
On my V:35, the crunch is noticeably louder. Probably a preamp tube.

Interesting, thanks. I've got a brand new SPA sitting here I wanted to toss in anyway, so I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Hey Polaris,

I've got the same "problem" - did you get any results by changing the tubes!?

Marc

I also have the same problem - noticed it last night while jamming.

My Crunch setting is noticeably lower in volume and fullness than Fat and Clean.

Here are the tube positions from the manual. I'm having no other issues on anything else.

V1A- Input Stage CH1 & CH2
V1B- 2nd Gain Stage CH1 CLEAN & FAT
3rd Gain Stage CRUNCH
2nd Gain Stage CH2
V2A 2nd Gain Stage CH1 CRUNCH
V2B- 4th Gain Stage CH2
V3A- 3rd Gain Stage CH1 CLEAN & FAT
4th Gain Stage CRUNCH
V3B- 4th Gain Stage CLEAN & FAT

V4A- Reverb Return
V4B- Reverb Send
V5A- FX Loop Return
V5B- 5th Gain Stage CH2
V6A&B- Driver/Phase Inverter

I'm thinking maybe I'll replace the V5 position first and then V3. Won't be able to get to it until this weekend. :cry:

So I replaced V1 - V3 with JJ's and no change. I did notice that the volume difference was more present in lower volume settings that higher.

On a side note: the amp sounds fantastic with JJ's! :shock:

Are the stock tubes JJ's rebranded as Mesa? The tubes I pulled out had a Mesa brand on them.

I don't think that Mesa manufactures their own tubes to they are probably JJs which are rebranded.

Latest posts

Back