Mark V 35 Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spawn

Reaction score
Hi all, new and proud owner of a brand new Mark V 35 head 8)
I am basicly into the tones of Metallica's Master of puppets and Justice, I tried to search for a native setting and find out that most of the pictures that you guys upload are with a broken links since it has been more then 6 years since the last picture..
I would really appreciate if someone can upload a setting he has for the best sound for that tone.
Thank You!

I go, Mark 4 mode. 45 or 90 watt setting. Triode and bright. Gain around 11 o'clock, volume around 11 o'clock. Presence around 1 o'clock. Treble at 2 o'clock. Middle on 11 o'clock. Bass at around 10 o'clock.
the GEQ is set
Low bass slider halfway between middle line and top.
Low mid slider set so the top of the slider touches the bottom of the middle line.
Mid slider set just below the low mid slider. So the top of the mid slider hits the bottom of the low mid slider.
High mid slider set about the same as the low mid slider.
High treble slider set about 3/4's of the way between the mid and top lines.

These amps are all about the preamp, power amp differences I found to be miniscule. It's not perfect but close enough. Using a 90watt combo and a strat with an EMG85 in the bridge. Sound sits well with the band, doesn't get thin and cuts through well.

Nick (he said "V35"... )

I hear you though. I have a V25 and a V and am always trying to get the tones in one that I got in the other.

OP, congrats on the V35. What a COOL amp that must be!

John Petrucci's settings will get you pretty close. He has a great video on YouTube where he goes over his philosophy on dialing in his mark V. It's not the same amp but the preamp is the same so there's a lot to learn from it.

JP's settings are a good starting point, imo. You can tweak from there. You'll have to find out what works best for your setup: pickups, speakers, guitar, volume, etc.

I've always had trouble nailing justice and puppets tones. But you can get in the ballpark. I've always found that black album tones are much easier to coax out of my mark amps. For the best justice tones, I will put a tube screamer in front for some extra aggression. Good luck 8)

Dreamtheaterrules said:
Nick (shhhhh, he said "V35"... )

I'd have thought it would have been mostly the same? Is that not so?

One thing I have noticed, and it's with every amp and every single type of sound. Focus more on getting the same sort of level of clarity in your sound. rather than trying to emulate gain and eq levels.
Since I took on that philosophy, I've been a lot happier with all my stuff

Nicklotsaguitars said:
I go, Mark 4 mode. 45 or 90 watt setting. Triode and bright. Gain around 11 o'clock, volume around 11 o'clock. Presence around 1 o'clock. Treble at 2 o'clock. Middle on 11 o'clock. Bass at around 10 o'clock.
the GEQ is set
Low bass slider halfway between middle line and top.
Low mid slider set so the top of the slider touches the bottom of the middle line.
Mid slider set just below the low mid slider. So the top of the mid slider hits the bottom of the low mid slider.
High mid slider set about the same as the low mid slider.
High treble slider set about 3/4's of the way between the mid and top lines.

These amps are all about the preamp, power amp differences I found to be miniscule. It's not perfect but close enough. Using a 90watt combo and a strat with an EMG85 in the bridge. Sound sits well with the band, doesn't get thin and cuts through well.

Well those settings will only be of use to those using a Strat with 1 powered EMG85 pup.
What are the other 2 - passive single coils ??
You're the only guy I've ever heard of with that set up :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back