What Pedals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnbRock

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just bought Mark V Combo, I'd like to add to the sounds, such as delay, chorus etc..I'd been looking at Strymon.. Awesome Reviews but three pedals is over a £1000 which is fair enough if I want the best, I'd also been thinking of Line 6 Helix, also great reviews but a lot more for my money..quality is more important than quantity. Would either option go in front or behind the Amp, I'm trying to Achieve the best possible sounds to add to this Magnificent Combo... thx for your help guys..

Chorus delays and reverb, TC. The ones on my G-System are great
Compression and Drive, Carl Martin.
it's the 11th commandment

I have the Strymon Blue Sky and Ola. My rig is a bit more than just in front of the amp or in the loop but if I were to scale down I would run them in the loop. The Strymon are in my opinion the best sounding reverb and chorus pedals, that coupled with all the different settings and the ability to have two different settings to switch from when using them live makes them a best choice.

I currently run 2 MXR Carbon Copy delays in the loop and they sound very good. I don't like the sound of digital delay pedals through the Mark V. The darker sound of the MXR Carbon Copy makes them almost unnoticeable. Digital delay for me jumps out too much.

I like to go with individual pedals these days. I've had all of these for a while now.

Guitar -> MXR MC-404 CAE Wah -> Blackout Effectors Blunderbuss fuzz -> Digitech Whammy V --> Catalinbread Pareidolia -> HBE Psilocybe -> Mark V
Loop: DD-500

The DD-500 can do a decent reverb and reverb/delay. It kicked the Dispatch Master I had on there for that purpose.
I can do a chorus with the Whammy V and DD-500 together so I sold the Hardwire CR-7 I had for chorus. I still don't use chorus all that much anyway.

I've yet to try any Strymon stuff, but I did use a Line6 XTlive POD for a while. I liked the latter because it had a lot of good stuff in a compact format, the problem I ran into is that I couldn't tweak on the fly fast enough with all the menus I had to scroll through...hehe.

I wish there was a magic formula for everyone but it's really a bunch of trial and error I found.

Congrats on the new amp, good luck and enjoy!!

You guys have got awesome hardware, thx for replying to my enquiry I'll call down to my local shop, try out a few pedals,I'm looking for three effects mainly but still like the idea of Helix, All the best...

Apeman, yes, I've a Watkins Copycat. I never use it with my mark. Though it makes for a great clean boost.

Mine is the 1970's version It's identical to this.

1973-copicat-2.jpg

Tape is not the only method of getting analogue delay. In fact tape echos are considered to be mechanical echo, not analogue.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/q-whats-the-difference-between-analog-and-digital-delay-pedals/

Hi, Nice copycat, reminds me of a washer I once had.maybe about the same size, Ha. Seems some players have their own idea of a setup, as for me I'm an old time player(60), and prefer things in ones, you know like one guitar, one Amp, one wife,one car, you get the idea..never thought about the same type of pedal in front, behind and on top...anyway tried the Styrmon, MXR, Helix, they all sounded Good, just gotta make my mind, thx for all your Advice Guys, all the best

Apeman, yes at times, when I want to. I don't have need of boosts on most of my amps. But I've an old Watkins Clubman (59) and a self built 18watt that definitely benefit from it.
I'm never going to buy a clean boost. In reality the gain from my stock JMP2203 is enough for what I do. When I want more I gig my KK.

All depends what I'm doing. I don't really buy into valve drive being better than transistor drive. Though I much prefer it as an amplification technique. Simply for it's efficiency. I've a Carl Martin Plexitone that's drive sounds as good as any amplifier preamp drive. You just have to run it right to get the benefit of it. Straight into the effects return, completely bypassing the amps preamp.
I go with if it sounds good, it sounds good. I'll worry about what components it uses when it breaks.

OnbRock said:
You guys have got awesome hardware, thx for replying to my enquiry I'll call down to my local shop, try out a few pedals,I'm looking for three effects mainly but still like the idea of Helix, All the best...

You have probably made a selection by now. What works with the Mark V, Strymon. I have a few of those: Brigadier, DIG, BigSky and Ola. All work well in the loop without having to adjust the send level. All of them are instrument and line level compliant. The more recent Boss pedals work great too. Only BOSS pedals I have are the TeraEcho and the PH-3 phase shifter. Also no tone loss with those. Look online of some effects, if it has a line level rating (anything other than instrument) you should be okay. -10dBv or +4dBu is line level rating. Instrument level is typically -20dBu.

OnbRock said:
Hi Guys,
Just bought Mark V Combo, I'd like to add to the sounds, such as delay, chorus etc..I'd been looking at Strymon.. Awesome Reviews but three pedals is over a £1000 which is fair enough if I want the best, I'd also been thinking of Line 6 Helix, also great reviews but a lot more for my money..quality is more important than quantity. Would either option go in front or behind the Amp, I'm trying to Achieve the best possible sounds to add to this Magnificent Combo... thx for your help guys..

If you want quality to combine with your world's best amp I say forget any multi modellers (except Axe-FX) and especially reject anything Line 6.
Sound quality and QA/QC of Line 6 are very poor imo.

If you only need a few effects analog & digital stomps are cheaper, user friendly & best quality imo.
Digital stomps like Flashback are excellent for delay & time based effects but I find the top of line analog stomps are the highest quality & easiest to use for OD, distortion, fuzz, wah :mrgreen:

APEMAN said:
Wow, thats how the sun feels on your skin when you don't spend your days somewhere in a rehearsal cave. 8)

Yep it's a hell of an amp. After near two years ownership. I'm only just getting round to plugging in passive guitars. It makes everything work. Strat with Knopfler pickups, Les Paul with T-Tops, Les Paul with BK Pete Greens. tele's P90's, EMG's and a strat with SCN's and a tonezone.
They've all been through that amp today. And for as hard as it is to get used to dialling it in. I'm finding that now I'm used to it, it's hard to dial in a bad sound. I'd have to go out of my way and intentionally aim for a bad sound.

I use love my TC pedals in the loop.. flashback x3, dreamscape, alter ego, and I'll probably get the vortex.

Latest posts

Back