Line 6 DL4 solution?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsnyder

Reaction score
Hello, all. Has anyone found a solution that definitely works for instrument level pedals like the DL4 in the loop? I can get it to work without any breakup by lowering the loop level, but I still get a pretty good dulling of the tone and drop in volume when I kick it in. I've read up on the Ebtech Line Level Shifter but I don't know if it would really solve my problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't think you will find any joy with this pedal in the loop because it's just not designed to handle line levels. I've had good success with the Boss DD-500 or the Flashback X4 in the loop of all my amps.

Thank you. Yeah, I knew that it was instrument level. I'm just hoping to hear from someone that has definitely found a solution that works before I start shelling out money for line level adapters, etc...

If it were me, I'd just invest in a more compatible delay vs. spending money trying to kludge together a solution for the DL4.

nsnyder said:
Hello, all. Has anyone found a solution that definitely works for instrument level pedals like the DL4 in the loop? I can get it to work without any breakup by lowering the loop level, but I still get a pretty good dulling of the tone and drop in volume when I kick it in. I've read up on the Ebtech Line Level Shifter but I don't know if it would really solve my problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ditch the tone sucking pedal :)
Plugging anything Line 6 into any Mesa is the same as mixing Coke with Bollinger imo.
You've got probably the best amp ever made - it deserves high quality effects :mrgreen:

Yeah, I should probably move on to another pedal. I used to record with the POD and had a few delay sounds from it that developed into songs. I thought the DL4 could be used to capture them but with the real tone of the V instead of the amp models in the POD. This thing has a pretty drastic, negative effect on my sound, though, both in the loop and in front of the clean channel of the amp. I've played mid '80s digitech pedals that colored the sound less than it does.

nsnyder said:
Yeah, I should probably move on to another pedal. I used to record with the POD and had a few delay sounds from it that developed into songs. I thought the DL4 could be used to capture them but with the real tone of the V instead of the amp models in the POD. This thing has a pretty drastic, negative effect on my sound, though, both in the loop and in front of the clean channel of the amp. I've played mid '80s digitech pedals that colored the sound less than it does.

Yep well there's about 100 better delay pedals available these days than anything Line 6 make imo :mrgreen:

My solution was Strymon or Boss. They work in the FX loop of the Mark V. When comparing the Strymon DIG, BigSky, and Boss TeraEcho to the line 6 DL4 or the TC triple delay, both the Strymon and Boss pedals work well and no sitnal clipping or compression. Both the DL4 and TC did not work so well with the Mark V. Note the Strymon BigSky is not in the picture.

pedals_zpswykw2su5.jpg

Has anyone had any luck with a vox delay lab? I have a trade offer for the DL4... it seems better from everything I've read online, but i can't find any specific experiences using it in the loop of a Mark V.

When I bought the DL4, I had no clue the Mark V FXloop was line level. Majority of the guitar effects are instrument level so they will compress or clip you sound causing alteration in tone. I looked at the specs and other information on the Vox website, I did not notice any specifics on the inputs and outputs in terms of dB or applicable information regarding line level use. Line level compatible devices will had in their specification +4dBu or -10dBV.

specification on the Strymon DIG: +8dBu maximum input level easily handles instrument and line signals.
specification on the Boss TE-2: input and output 20dBu (stated as nominal, but should be maximum)

The Boss DD-20 has an adjustable 4db level of some sort for that reason, I imagine. I have been using that pedal for 9 years with various amps, including my Mark V, without an issue. I can't vouch much for the quality of delays because I use it just for slapback, but it has about a zillion other options that I never touch.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I ended up just going for it and trading the DL4 for a DelayLab. I'm glad to report that the DelayLab works great in the loop of the Mark V. No tone suckage and a pretty sweet pedal overall.

That is great. I still have mine, and will probably keep it as I can use it with my other Mesa amps. Also works great with my Bass amp. As for the Mark V, seems only a few pedals out there are suitable for line level effects loops.

Back