Extreme channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcwoods529

Reaction score
Long story short I've tried to find a tone on the extreme channel that work for a "general" metal/hard rock tone but, it always seems to bassy or fluibby?

Any of you have any luck finding a killer tone? V30s in a Stiletto cab, also.

Links? EQs?

I love extreme for metal. I use it mainly with drop tuned guitars, so I don't find it flubby at all. Also, I don't think I can give you any EQ tips as I normally dial it it pretty close to the other two modes with the rotary dials. Maybe slightly less bass and a little more treble. I find that the extra low end found in extreme mode is much more focused and punchy than the mark iv mode, i.e. tighter. The only time I fight with extreme is at low volumes, like bedroom or apt. volumes. Low volumes can make it seem dark or boomy. So crank it if you can! Also, I get better results in pentode.

I use extreme all the time. For me it works best over all as I change guitars through the night for different tunings. I use 2 different Telecasters (they are very different sounding) and a Les Paul Standard. The Mark IIc+ mode although kickin in the mids it doesn't have the low end tone I like. I like a full sound but no rumble. The Mark IV just wasn't doing it for me. The extreme mode has an even tempered drive, very guitar volume controllable. The EQ in the channel worked better for the tone I wanted. Treble and Mid about 1:30 and the Bass about 9:00am. I also only use the Graphic EQ on channel 3. Graphic EQ looks like an arch slightly pushing the mids. As I always say "bass is for bass guitar".

Switching from Telecasters to a Les Paul is quite a jump. Channel 3 Extreme works best for me. I don't have to adjust anything on the amp through the night.

Extreme is less saturated then the other two channels and works really well with the volume knob like previously stated. You can basically roll off your volume and you have a nice clean.

I do the typical EQ V with mine (low slider all the way up, next one at the mid line, middle a little above bottom line, next around mid line, last one about 3/4 way up and to taste), bass and mid around 9-10 oclock, treble around 1 pm, presence around 11 oclock. That will give you a good starting point.

That's been my experience too.

SamuelJ86 said:
The only time I fight with extreme is at low volumes, like bedroom or apt. volumes. Low volumes can make it seem dark or boomy. So crank it if you can! Also, I get better results in pentode.

If you find it too flubby, make sure your BASS knob is down low enough, that knob basically adds flub when it's above a certain point.

Also, because everyone describes EXTREME in such different ways (More gain, less saturated, Boomy, tight, etc), and it removes most of the negative feedback from the power section, I think it is a mode that is dependant on the connected speakers even moreso than all the others. I'll have to test that theory out some.

Xtreme channel definately has more low end, but I feel it has the low mids that are great for cutting through a loud mix. I turn the bass knob mostly down on this channell , mids 12:00, presence 12-1:00 and treble all the way up at low volumes and about 2:00 at most to avoid microphonics when playing loud. Gain around 2:00...Careful with that graphic eq 80hz when playing loud too, maybe set it 3/4 of the way up, 240hz middle line, 750hz anywhere from full scoop to half scoop, 2200hz about half boost up, and 6600hz flat-halfway up boost. I have a theile w celestion wolverine and a mini rec v30, nice balance of theile lows for chunking palm mutes and v30 high mids and volume for cutting through. This channel has less presence than the mark 2c+ or mark IV, so maybe add more presence or 2200 and 6600 geq.

IronSean said:
If you find it too flubby, make sure your BASS knob is down low enough, that knob basically adds flub when it's above a certain point.

Also, because everyone describes EXTREME in such different ways (More gain, less saturated, Boomy, tight, etc), and it removes most of the negative feedback from the power section, I think it is a mode that is dependant on the connected speakers even moreso than all the others. I'll have to test that theory out some.

Interesting thought on different speakers possibly giving people differing descriptions. I have 2 Mesa 2x12 compact cabs and 2 Mesa 2x12 vertical cabs. I noticed a completely different tone from each set. The compact cabs have a more pronounced low end and they are not as crisp as the vertical cabs. The vertical cabs have a more articulate presence to them. How to explain... They speak clearer. If you screw up, they bark it loudly...LOL...

While we are on amp settings go over to a thread I started "Channel 1, what mode do you use"

Let me preface this by saying I think channel 3 needs volume to sound good much more so than the others. I use it for a modern metal sound as follows:

Volume-at least 10 if fx loop bypassed
Gain-3-3:30
Treble:1-2
Presence: leave at noon; has very little effect on the tone in Extreme mode
Mids:9
Bass:8:30
Bright switch on
90 watts-Pentode

The preset eq sounds awesome for rhythm playing but gets piercing on the high strings. For a lead sound I sometimes use a V shape but lately I have been experimenting with the W shape and I think it sounds fantastic; it gives the mids a VERY aggressive and pissed-off sound. I'm using a mahogany guitar with a JB and a DMT Dimetime, another mahogany guitar with EMG 81-85, and a swamp ash 7 string with a SD Sentient and Pegasus set. They all sound awesome with these settings. Also, Extreme mode like to be boosted more than the other 2 modes, and the resulting tone is just outrageously tight, aggressive, and brutal.

Chris19 said:
Let me preface this by saying I think channel 3 needs volume to sound good much more so than the others. I use it for a modern metal sound as follows:

Volume-at least 10 if fx loop bypassed
Gain-3-3:30
Treble:1-2
Presence: leave at noon; has very little effect on the tone in Extreme mode
Mids:9
Bass:8:30
Bright switch on
90 watts-Pentode

The preset eq sounds awesome for rhythm playing but gets piercing on the high strings. For a lead sound I sometimes use a V shape but lately I have been experimenting with the W shape and I think it sounds fantastic; it gives the mids a VERY aggressive and pissed-off sound. I'm using a mahogany guitar with a JB and a DMT Dimetime, another mahogany guitar with EMG 81-85, and a swamp ash 7 string with a SD Sentient and Pegasus set. They all sound awesome with these settings. Also, Extreme mode like to be boosted more than the other 2 modes, and the resulting tone is just outrageously tight, aggressive, and brutal.

Holy Jism Batman this is life changing sheet!
The "W" eq setting is amazing with my het set, never tried it that way before. It loves the mid bump. And the neck pickup is singing and sweet.
Thanks a lot mate:)
p.s. How are you running the "W". Do you have the 240 and 2500 on the bottom line, and the 750 in the middle, and the 80 and 6600 near the top?

Glad I could help! The channel eq settings are kind of a starting point for me, Extreme mode can handle higher bass knob settings, I'll run the treble a little higher for passive pickups than for actives, and sometimes I also like to run the mids knob around noon or a little higher for a thick-sounding pick attack; sounds awesome for leads. I do the same for Mark 1 mode and I love it. My "W" settings generally look like this: 80 is pretty close to the top line, 240 about 1/3 between the middle and bottom lines, 750 is cut just a bit but still touching, 22k about the same as 240, and 66k 1/3 to 1/2 boosted between the middle and top lines. I First saw the W setting in a picture of one of Mark Morton' Mark IVs. I'm still experimenting with it but it's a great sounding setting in my opinion.

I use the Extreme with the gain at about 11am, bass at 9-10am. It's an awesome setting, particularly on the V:25/35.

polaris20 said:
I use the Extreme with the gain at about 11am, bass at 9-10am. It's an awesome setting, particularly on the V:25/35.
Yep, totally agree... In my V:25, is my channel-to-go.. added a little V eq and sounds killer...

I like extreme. It's a lot clearer to me, if I'm on mkIV it's got a lot go fizz to it but extreme has none of that. Huge bottom and crystal clear sound.

I use the combo, so this next bit is going to sound stupid but I promise I am not a 15 year old with a metal zone.. The best sound I got out of the extreme channel (with the combo) was to MAX the gain on extreme I know, I know it sounds idiotic but with the single speaker and open back it gave it a huge tone. Combine that with boosting the bass and reducing the treble on the sliders and it had a nice fat tone and would punch through a wall.

Now that I am running through a 2x12 I prefer mkIV, I like the saturation and the cabinet gives me plenty of bottom end, so it works better but I still like the clarity of extreme mode.

Extreme is definitely not as saturated as Mark IV and the bass sounds fuller, esp with my 7 string and tuning down. I still love the Mark IV setting the best, but now and then I will switch to Extreme and I won't move off it for a few days! \m/

I would definitely agree on the maxing out the gain. Marks are the only amps I've ever played on that actually sound good with the gain anywhere near maximum. I don't do it but I have and it sounds great.

Back