Boogie Mark V brown sound

Discussion for the new Mark V

Moderators: Grandor, ned, Guitarzan, Platypus

Bankim
Mark II

Re: Boogie Mark V brown sound

Post by Bankim » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:57 am

Ed, Is that you trolling us mere mortals :P ?

Edit: see next post
Mesa Mark V Head
2x12 V30s Custom
ProCo Rat 2, DD 3
Guitars : EBMM JP6 Fully Loaded, Fender Am Stratocaster, Ibanez RG652MPBL

Bankim
Mark II

Post by Bankim » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:47 am

Just tried your settings and I am surprised at how high you run the channel volume and the overall volume. I have never had to run my amp at 5 Master on 90 watts and man, it shook me (In a good way). Its amazing that this amp has so many unique tones. Your settings has opened up a whole new level of tweaking (as if i needed more :roll: ). Awesome tone n awesome playing. Please do post more clips in the future.
Mesa Mark V Head
2x12 V30s Custom
ProCo Rat 2, DD 3
Guitars : EBMM JP6 Fully Loaded, Fender Am Stratocaster, Ibanez RG652MPBL

donnyboiler
Mark II

Post by donnyboiler » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:30 am

Bankim wrote:Ed, Is that you trolling us mere mortals :P ?

Edit: see next post
Haha, thankyou!
Bankim wrote:Just tried your settings and I am surprised at how high you run the channel volume and the overall volume. I have never had to run my amp at 5 Master on 90 watts and man, it shook me (In a good way). Its amazing that this amp has so many unique tones. Your settings has opened up a whole new level of tweaking (as if i needed more :roll: ). Awesome tone n awesome playing. Please do post more clips in the future.
Hey man, I'm only running the output master at less than half here, so although the amp is loud, it's only as loud as a decent rock drummer. Channels are at 50%.

I'm using the JP-2C now, so check in that section every now and then for new stuff. Thanks for the words of encouragement :)

tbonesullivan
Mark II

Post by tbonesullivan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:54 pm

THAT is an awesome sound. Now if only I could remember which Van Halen song you are playing at the beginning.
Guitars: Hamers, Heritages, G&L Legacies, EBMM Steve Morse, Carvin Bolt, Fender Tele
Amps: DC-5 1x12, Maverick 2x12, Stiletto ACE 1x12, Trem-O-Verb 2x12

donnyboiler
Mark II

Post by donnyboiler » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:21 am

Thank you!

The tunes are Unchained, Dirty Movies, 5150 and Push Comes To Shove :)

gag halfrunt
Mark II

Post by gag halfrunt » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:09 am

donnyboiler wrote:Thank you!

Great choices!

I did a side by side listen of the original 5150, and I noticed Eddie uses a bit less distortion on his track, at least in the studio. I'm sure he ups the gain in concert. Either way, I really like the tone you are getting here. Very nice playing and great tone match!
Mark V combo, Mark V:25 Head
PRS Singlecuts and McRosies

Partial list of former amps: Bogner Shiva 20th, Diezel Herbert, Diezel Hagen, EVH 5153, Engl Powerball II, Randall Diavlo, Friedman JMP, Voodoo JVM, Fortin JCM800, ElectraDyne.

abe
Donating Member

Post by abe » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:36 pm

I know that this is an old post, but I just tried these settings and wow! I've had my Mark V for several years, and once I got settings that worked for me I never really touched them again. I never would've thought to run it like that. I had it running through my combo along with an EVH 1x12 extension cab with a 350ms slap back, using my EVH Stealth. I wish that I tried this when I was in the band. I can't wait to try a similar thing on 2C+ mode.
Mark V Combo
EVH 5150 iii 2*12 Combo
1987 Marshall Lead 12 Combo
Les Paul Studio
Peavey Wolfgang Special
Fender EVH Wolfgang Special Hardtail
Fender EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth
1987 Kramer Pacer
American Deluxe Strat
http://www.rivermud.com

JD1965
Mark I

Post by JD1965 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:23 pm

Great Job with this!

As you list "Brown" I'm wondering: Are the settings are full power or Variac mode?

Voodoo Child77
Mark II

Post by Voodoo Child77 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:33 am

WOW! I thought I had decided on a JP-2C, but this has me reconsidering my decision. Nice tone.
Mesa Boogie Lone Star Classic, Stiletto Deuce II, TA-15
Mesa Boogie Lone Star 4x10, Lone Star 27 1x12, Recto Compact 2x12, TransAtlantic 1x10

donnyboiler
Mark II

Post by donnyboiler » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:35 pm

Hi guys,

I haven't logged in for ages and only just noticed these replies, thanks for those! I will reply to them one by one.
gag halfrunt wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:09 am
donnyboiler wrote:Thank you!

Great choices!

I did a side by side listen of the original 5150, and I noticed Eddie uses a bit less distortion on his track, at least in the studio. I'm sure he ups the gain in concert. Either way, I really like the tone you are getting here. Very nice playing and great tone match!
Thank you! I used the same tone for all the samples, except that I added the stereo FX for the 5150 era. I was thinking of it as more of a VH-esque base tone that you can tweak for each album I guess. Although in reality it's just the rhythm sound I used live and it happened to lend itself well 8)
abe wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:36 pm
I know that this is an old post, but I just tried these settings and wow! I've had my Mark V for several years, and once I got settings that worked for me I never really touched them again. I never would've thought to run it like that. I had it running through my combo along with an EVH 1x12 extension cab with a 350ms slap back, using my EVH Stealth. I wish that I tried this when I was in the band. I can't wait to try a similar thing on 2C+ mode.
Cheers. If you try the settings on Mark IV Mode but with gain and presence lower, it matches well. Then you have a great lead sound to go with it!
JD1965 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:23 pm
Great Job with this!

As you list "Brown" I'm wondering: Are the settings are full power or Variac mode?
Everything on full. 90W, diodes, loop active, no Variac. There's zero reason why I didn't try that, I just didn't get around to it! Oh and thanks 8)
Voodoo Child77 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:33 am
WOW! I thought I had decided on a JP-2C, but this has me reconsidering my decision. Nice tone.
Ha! I owned both, I found the JP-2C more resolved functionally and bigger sounding overall but it never did nail this sound the same way! Love both amps.

Zakkmylde
Mark I

Post by Zakkmylde » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:19 am

I’m a little late to the party but reading all the comments of how good of a tone you achieved did you manage to post the settings. Having hard time getting that tone.
Jerry Cantrell is the riff master

Peavey -EVH Wolfgang Special
Ibanez -JS 1600
Kramer -American
Blade -Texas Special
Mark V head
Mesa 2x12 cab
Marshall DSL 100 head

Zakkmylde
Mark I

Post by Zakkmylde » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:57 am

I can’t open the sound cloud. Is it still available ? Or settings posted. Or any good posting for brown sound tone settings for mark v ?
Jerry Cantrell is the riff master

Peavey -EVH Wolfgang Special
Ibanez -JS 1600
Kramer -American
Blade -Texas Special
Mark V head
Mesa 2x12 cab
Marshall DSL 100 head

donnyboiler
Mark II

Post by donnyboiler » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:18 am

Hello mate,

I no longer have a Soundcloud account or a Boogie so I'm of limited usefulness! But the settings were basically as follows.

Treble at the sweet spot around two-thirds, mids at halfway, bass nearly off, gain at full. Presence was just over halfway IIRC.

I had the amp in 90w mode with everything on max (no Variac or any other reduced power settings). Presence was just over half. Here are the graphic settings again:

80Hz as high as possible before flub. Maybe 90%
240Hz bang in the middle
750Hz a whisker above the bottom line (same as Petrucci I think)
2200Hz exactly halfway between the bottom two lines
6600Hz bang in the middle

The channel was at 50% volume and the master was used to bring up the overall level in line with a drummer. Volume is a big part of this tone. For this recording I used an Ownhammer V30 sim, but I always preferred using a real mic in front of my Recto 2x12" when I had the amp.

I will say YMMV a lot with this tone. I think it's very reliant on pickups and wood type. I always liked the Custom Custom in ash, or the EVH Wolfgang pickup in basswood, or in this case the SSH+ in basswood/maple. I always feel like the trick is to get the right blend of woody sustain from the guitar topped off with a little extra push and zing from the pickup. The last component is to turn up nice and loud and pick HARD.

All fairly useless without the original clip, I will go and see if it's still on my Mac.

donnyboiler
Mark II

Post by donnyboiler » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:53 pm