Boogie Mark V brown sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnyboiler

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new here. Here's a recording of my favourite amp emulating my all-time favourite guitar tone:

https://soundcloud.com/donnyboiler/mark-v-brown

That sounds great, no actually it was awesome!. :p

Thanks for sharing your settings, I would have never thought cutting out the bass would do it. I will have to give it a try. I do not have a torpedo but I do have a reactive attenuator. Thanks for the tip.

Wow sounds great.

Dialed in similar sound using your settings. Would you mind taking a picture of your EQ and if possible the knobbies?

Very cool. Yea yea amp settings gets you in the ball park.... Your hands, that is where the feel, the tone and inflection comes from. Very nice.

Thanks for the comments. I don't think the forum will let me post photos yet as I'm new. Basically it's the same slider EQ I always use, which I arrived at by A/Bing with my old 5153.

80Hz as high as possible before flub. Maybe 90%
240Hz bang in the middle
750Hz a whisker above the bottom line (same as Petrucci I think)
2200Hz exactly halfway between the bottom two lines
6600Hz bang in the middle

What I can do is run the channel's presence lower (say 4/10) and then crank the top two sliders to more traditional positions. But I prefer it this way round as the Presence affects gain structure in a way that I really like. You can also run channel masters hotter and for more PI distortion, which gives more of a VH1 type gain structure.

OP this look about right?

IMG_20160804_061801_zpszqgd5b1n.jpg

IMG_20160804_061731_zpsb4ky71rq.jpg

The board still won't let me upload an image - is that not a feature here? Do I have to upload to a host site and then link?

Anyway, those settings are almost what I used. You need treble above noon (around 6/7 out of ten), and I used slightly more preamp volume and maybe a hair less preamp mids. I think my bottom slider is also slightly higher but I guess this will depend on a lot of components in our respective rigs... basically I cranked it until it flubbed out and then backed it off a hair :)

Obviously I don't expect my exact settings to yield the same results for anybody else but my feeling is the Axis will get close (I used to play EVH Wolfgangs). My cab was a MESA traditional 4x12" btw.

Yeah mate, use a hosting site. Post the link inbetween the IMG box brackets.

Nice sound really nice. Marshall with low end chunk.

I know you said you used an Ownhammer Mesa Traditional 4x12 IR (using a 57) in your torpedo live... do you happen to remember (or know) which one?

I have most of the IRs OH has made and there are several options (V60, V70, or V60+V70) and several mic positions. Similarly, these are from a newer set of IRs and if you have an older set it's different still.

Just hoping you can save me some time auditioning them all, thanks!

Just had some time to run this tone through a Recto 2x12 and it really does sound great.

I'm using a Tom Anderson Cobra, and generally like things darker so all I did was pull down the 6600 slider on the Graphic and it sounds really great. Especially nice with EL34's in the Mark V as I run.

I almost never run the Treble and Presence up so high, I now see what that does to the overall gain structure and will use it more in the future (balancing it out with judicious use of that 6600 slider on the graphic.)

In fact, I copied the settings to channel 3 for the Mark IIC+ mode and the Mark IV mode and was also pleasantly surprised with how they respond.

I've been playing Mark series amps for nearly 30 years and still learn new things from them once in a while. Just goes to show you have to use your ears and experiment without using your eyes or what you "think" should sound good.

Still would LOVE to know more specifically which Ownhammer IR you're using though so I can load it up in my Torpedo Live for gigs this weekend. Thanks!

Glad you like it! Yeah I normally run the top slider a bit lower "in the room" as well. Live it might be quite a bit lower depending on how reflective the room is. When I record it always seems to want a bit more.

I used this free IR http://www.ownhammer.com/free/v4-demo/ with just the SM57. I'm away now and I don't remember which mic position I used but it was one of the more central ones. I wanna say the 3rd closest to the centre but I'm not sure.

I also use very similar settings on channel 3 Mark IV mode. Gets right in that Petrucci ballpark I like.

Now pick your self a FX8 and download the VH preset and it would be over top..
NICE!

I've been trying these settings on my V, with slight changes, and really like them. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Now, I need to try it on my V25 because I'm hearing it works great there also.

Great playing and great Van Halen Brown sound.
Just got my Mark V and trying to find all the secret sauce now to make it sound great.
Can't wait to dial this one up.
Thanks for posting details.

Back