Boogie Mark V brown sound

Discussion for the new Mark V

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

donnyboiler
Mark II

Boogie Mark V brown sound

Post by donnyboiler » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:07 am

Hi guys,

I'm new here. Here's a recording of my favourite amp emulating my all-time favourite guitar tone:

https://soundcloud.com/donnyboiler/mark-v-brown

bandit2013
Triple Recto

Re: Boogie Mark V brown sound

Post by bandit2013 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:57 am

That sounds great, no actually it was awesome!. :P

Thanks for sharing your settings, I would have never thought cutting out the bass would do it. I will have to give it a try. I do not have a torpedo but I do have a reactive attenuator. Thanks for the tip.

MrSmitty
Mark II

Post by MrSmitty » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:22 pm

Yeah...that does sound great! Nice playing too BTW. I'll have to try those settings too.
JP2C
Mark V
Mark V 25
Mark " III +" (originally green stripe) Simul-Class, short head
Cabs: 4x12 Recto traditional, 2x12 Recto (horizontal), 1x12 Wide Body (closed).

elpingua
Mark III

Post by elpingua » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:23 pm

Wow sounds great.

Dialed in similar sound using your settings. Would you mind taking a picture of your EQ and if possible the knobbies?
---------------------------
Mesa Mark V
Mesa 2x Vertical cab
Musicman Axis
PRS SE Singlecut

OldTelecasterMan
Mark III

Post by OldTelecasterMan » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:41 am

Very cool. Yea yea amp settings gets you in the ball park.... Your hands, that is where the feel, the tone and inflection comes from. Very nice.
Boogie F-30
Mark V
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Two 2X12 Vert. Cabs.
Two 2x12 Compact Cabs.
Telecasters, Gibson Les Paul, Gibson Howard Roberts Jazz Fusion and many more.
http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Peter_Savell

donnyboiler
Mark II

Post by donnyboiler » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:31 am

Thanks for the comments. I don't think the forum will let me post photos yet as I'm new. Basically it's the same slider EQ I always use, which I arrived at by A/Bing with my old 5153.

80Hz as high as possible before flub. Maybe 90%
240Hz bang in the middle
750Hz a whisker above the bottom line (same as Petrucci I think)
2200Hz exactly halfway between the bottom two lines
6600Hz bang in the middle

What I can do is run the channel's presence lower (say 4/10) and then crank the top two sliders to more traditional positions. But I prefer it this way round as the Presence affects gain structure in a way that I really like. You can also run channel masters hotter and for more PI distortion, which gives more of a VH1 type gain structure.

Giz-Tone
Mark I

Post by Giz-Tone » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:18 pm

Where are the settings posted? It sounds great.

dlpasco
Donating Member

Post by dlpasco » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:39 pm

Giz-Tone wrote:Where are the settings posted? It sounds great.
It's in the track information on SoundCloud - you can see it if you go to it via your browser, but not via the SoundCloud app :(
Mark IIC+, III, V, Recto Reborn, TC-50
Sold: JP-2C, V25, Road King II, Tremoverb, Electra Dyne, ROV25
Twitter:mammothguitar

elpingua
Mark III

Post by elpingua » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:29 am

OP this look about right?

---------------------------
Mesa Mark V
Mesa 2x Vertical cab
Musicman Axis
PRS SE Singlecut

donnyboiler
Mark II

Post by donnyboiler » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:30 am

The board still won't let me upload an image - is that not a feature here? Do I have to upload to a host site and then link?

Anyway, those settings are almost what I used. You need treble above noon (around 6/7 out of ten), and I used slightly more preamp volume and maybe a hair less preamp mids. I think my bottom slider is also slightly higher but I guess this will depend on a lot of components in our respective rigs... basically I cranked it until it flubbed out and then backed it off a hair :)

Obviously I don't expect my exact settings to yield the same results for anybody else but my feeling is the Axis will get close (I used to play EVH Wolfgangs). My cab was a MESA traditional 4x12" btw.

Nicklotsaguitars
Mark III

Post by Nicklotsaguitars » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:46 am

Yeah mate, use a hosting site. Post the link inbetween the IMG box brackets. [img]IN%20HERE[/img]

Nice sound really nice. Marshall with low end chunk.
some guitars and some amps

griff3
Mark I

Post by griff3 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:29 am

I know you said you used an Ownhammer Mesa Traditional 4x12 IR (using a 57) in your torpedo live... do you happen to remember (or know) which one?

I have most of the IRs OH has made and there are several options (V60, V70, or V60+V70) and several mic positions. Similarly, these are from a newer set of IRs and if you have an older set it's different still.

Just hoping you can save me some time auditioning them all, thanks!

griff3
Mark I

Post by griff3 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:41 pm

Just had some time to run this tone through a Recto 2x12 and it really does sound great.

I'm using a Tom Anderson Cobra, and generally like things darker so all I did was pull down the 6600 slider on the Graphic and it sounds really great. Especially nice with EL34's in the Mark V as I run.

I almost never run the Treble and Presence up so high, I now see what that does to the overall gain structure and will use it more in the future (balancing it out with judicious use of that 6600 slider on the graphic.)

In fact, I copied the settings to channel 3 for the Mark IIC+ mode and the Mark IV mode and was also pleasantly surprised with how they respond.

I've been playing Mark series amps for nearly 30 years and still learn new things from them once in a while. Just goes to show you have to use your ears and experiment without using your eyes or what you "think" should sound good.

Still would LOVE to know more specifically which Ownhammer IR you're using though so I can load it up in my Torpedo Live for gigs this weekend. Thanks!

donnyboiler
Mark II

Post by donnyboiler » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:48 pm

Glad you like it! Yeah I normally run the top slider a bit lower "in the room" as well. Live it might be quite a bit lower depending on how reflective the room is. When I record it always seems to want a bit more.

I used this free IR http://www.ownhammer.com/free/v4-demo/ with just the SM57. I'm away now and I don't remember which mic position I used but it was one of the more central ones. I wanna say the 3rd closest to the centre but I'm not sure.

I also use very similar settings on channel 3 Mark IV mode. Gets right in that Petrucci ballpark I like.

Rectifried
Mark II

Post by Rectifried » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:17 pm

That is just awesome tone and playing. I really didn't need more GAS, LOL...
Mark V:25
Mesa Mini Rectifier
Mesa TA30 2x12 combo