Mk V and G-Major

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcwoods529

Reaction score
I posted in the Triaxis thread, too but if I can do this with the Mk V even better.

Mark V + G-Major. What's the easiest way to make this work with a Rocktron MIDI controller?

Speak to me like I have no clue what I'm doing. I've heard I just need an external channel switcher but, I'm cheap at the moment. :/

You would only need a channel switcher if you want to control SOLO and EQ via midi, as well as the channels.

The relay on the G-major will only control two of the four switches. I personally use them to switch between the channels, and I don't worry about switching the EQ or SOLO switches.

You will need an Insert Cable going from the G-Major to the two channels switches. Then, you can set which channel is active on each patch of the G-Major and use the MIDI footpedal to choose patches.

Works well.

~Icarus

Hi Icarus
Mate I'm pretty new to this level of rack gear. I use a G System and an RJM Amp Gizmo.
A dummy new to midi clutz like me can work it, it must do the job.

Yeah, I only use 2 of the channels predominately and EQ is always on so...

Solo I can do manually, no sweat.

Where would I hook the Rocktron?

The G-Major into the effects loop? I told you guys I'm an idiot to this stuff, haha.

You'd put the G Major in the effects loop, and hook the Rocktron up to the G Major. The G Major will also connect into the External Switch jacks on the amp depending what you want to control.

I should note I have the G-Major v1. I tried several different Midi jack combinations since there is In, Out and Thru and none of them would change the amp. I think that's where my confusion lies. Being that there is an external switch and the amp is midi controllable, haha.

Connect a MIDI cable from Rocktron MIDI out to Gmajor MIDI in

Connect an instrument cable from MARK V 'FX Send' to GMajor Left Input (Mono)

Connect an instrument cable from MARK V 'FX Return' to GMajor Left Output (Mono)

Connect an Insert cable from GMajor Relay Switch port to MARK V External Control ports for Channel 2 & 3 (an Insert cable has a TRS connection on one end and two TS connectors on the other... like a stereo splitter cable)

In the GMajor, you will need to setup the relays to be opened or closed. When both are open (probably the default), you will be in channel one. When one is closed, one of the Mark V channels will become active. When the other is closed, the other channel will activate. I don't believe you should use the Mesa footswitch at all, and don't activate both channels at once.

More info here: http://support.tcelectronic.com/ent...2-G-System-How-to-make-channel-switching-work

~Icarus

Thank you, very much. MIDI can be overly complex sometmes. I'm not new to amps. Just new to MIDI.

Nicklotsaguitars said:
Hi Icarus
Mate I'm pretty new to this level of rack gear. I use a G System and an RJM Amp Gizmo.

How do you like the G System? I've toyed with the idea of getting one.

I like the idea of using the 4CM to place the pre-amp section in the middle of the FX chain and because the G System has 4 relays, you can use the 4 relays on the G-System to control both the Channels, the EQ, and the SOLO controls on a Mark V.

~Icarus

lcwoods529 said:
Thank you, very much. MIDI can be overly complex sometmes. I'm not new to amps. Just new to MIDI.

Yeah, we've all been there with MIDI. It can be very, very complicated. It drives me nuts that technology has come so far, and MIDI from 1983 is still the dominant protocol. At least USB is making headway. Several manufacturers still use MIDI, but now, via USB and a computer, there's a nice GUI over it, so it is a little simpler.

~Icarus

Icarusuki said:
Nicklotsaguitars said:
Hi Icarus

How do you like the G System? I've toyed with the idea of getting one.

I like the idea of using the 4CM to place the pre-amp section in the middle of the FX chain and because the G System has 4 relays, you can use the 4 relays on the G-System to control both the Channels, the EQ, and the SOLO controls on a Mark V.

~Icarus

Yeah I like it a lot. I'm not a huge user of effects. I sometimes like a thick phaser. With this, I love the harmonised effects. And I find the eq really useful as I don't really like the preset alternative on the Mark V. So I can cut a load of bass and boost the mids for a Mark1 solo sound. Get a huge mid scoop or a treble cut for my 2 clean sounds. On the hi gain channel I use a cheap joyo noisegate at the input and find the G-sys noise gate in the loop really helps keep my sound controlled at volume.

All in all, I like it a lot. It's not the easiest box to program and the manual is junk. I like using it with the amp gizmo as I can turn the loop off and on, as well as the reverb. I think the Mark V's reverb is superb. Much prefer it to anything I can remember hearing

OK, another issue. I've got the cable/adapter and got into the relay settings and it works when I change from open to closed or whatever. BUT....to save this function per preset/channel the manual says to hit "store" twice. Well, that's not working. It's not saving my changes.

I had the same issue when trying to configure the midi on my G-sys to get certain buttons to send midi signals. I gave up. Looking at the G Major manual, I'd be inclined to do the same. It's as bad as the G systems manual.

Nevermind, I figured that part out. The last piece to this puzzle is getting my Rocktron All-Access to control my user presets. For some reason it keeps changing to the factory presets. I've done this before but, it's been a few years :/

Yeah, I'm guessing the defauly midi map is using the factory presets... you will need to reconfigure the map to use the User presets.

Go to MIDI|Util > Prg bank: Custom
Prg Chg: 1
Map to: User 1 (or whatever you want it to go to, when you press '1')

Then, to do another:
Prg Chg: 2
Map to: User 2 (or whatever you want it to go to, when you press '2')

...and so on.

~Icarus

Icarus said:
Yeah, I'm guessing the defauly midi map is using the factory presets... you will need to reconfigure the map to use the User presets.

Go to MIDI|Util > Prg bank: Custom
Prg Chg: 1
Map to: User 1 (or whatever you want it to go to, when you press '1')

Then, to do another:
Prg Chg: 2
Map to: User 2 (or whatever you want it to go to, when you press '2')

...and so on.

~Icarus
All you need to do is tell the G Maj which bank you want to control, default is 'factory'.

This is explained on page 15 of the manual.

Dom

Sincere thanks to everyone who helped. I finally got it to work the way I wanted. Now, to set my self up 128 patches, haha.

Update.

I've got the G-Major to switch the amp between Channel 1 and Channel 3 using the prgbank. I've got all the proper TRS cables ( I think) yet, it will not switch anything to channel two no matter the combination.

Ideas?

Back