2x12 recto,unusual question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diddlydan

Reaction score
The mesa engineering badge on the front of the 2x12 is covering a small amount of each speaker.just wondering if anyone has taken this off and would it change the sound somewhat?im about to do it now out of curiosity.would the fact that it covers some of each speaker have any affect?

I never managed to get if off.Its seems to be attached to a piece of wood even when the screws are out.

diddlydan said:
I never managed to get if off.Its seems to be attached to a piece of wood even when the screws are out.

Yeah...

I didn't wanna tug hard on it either in case it was glued through the grill.

Ya, it looks to be that way.Doubt it would be on there if it were having an affect on the tone though.I do remember seeing a documentary about some producers recording studio,where he was showing off all the amps and cabs etc.All the cabs had the the front grills removed and when he was asked why,he said "oh they sound much better with the grills removed,and its much easier to see the speakers",or something along those lines.Not sure of his name.Michael wagner or something.He's done lots of 80's metal i think.Anyway i think that must have been in the back of my mind when i noticed the badge covering both speakers on the recto 2x12.

A recording engineer would want the grill removed to help with mic placement to make the recording sound better. They could better see the cone and have an easier time getting the mic set up. I don't think that producer was saying that the fact that the grill is removed, the sound is better.
Obviously, in a studio, the cabinet isn't going to be lugged around much so there is no need for a grill or cover to prevent damage to the speaker.

Latest posts

Back