Happy birthday to me: V 35 combo NAD incoming

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Northern Territories of the Conch Republic
mesa_mk_535_baby_blue_combo_775_angle__39780.1454355828.1280.1280.jpg

This one is winging my way. Just in time for my birthday. Hot rats!

Psyched!

Pairing this with an axe with a neck Firebird mini-hum and a bridge P90. This one is for work with an African rock band a couple thousand miles north of my usual gig. Leaving it at the place I live in up there and will commute from down here for shows.

Auditioned several amps looking for the right piece and the V 35 makes the most sense, altogether (though came very close to grabbing a Mark V 90, also baby blue, instead).

Looks like delivery will precede my arrival. Hope my partner up there can sign for it. Party on Sunday and gigs start Monday.

OK!

Amp arrived well, dialed in a couple core tones at the northern home base tab low volume levels and was out 6 hours later. Did 3 loud sets and tweaked settings as I ran out. Pretty easy ride, as I only really needed a dynamically responsive and bouncy clean tone and a liquid lead tone for the show. The reverb was a bit meh, but I need more time to bed it in. Altogether was a good first night out.

Tuesday I did more low volume dialage at the groovy music pad and then played two shows, an improvisation workshop at a high school and a two set club gig later in the evening. The Monday at home dial-a-ride and evening gig trial helped me get stuff together for these shows. The workshop was at modest volume and, as I learned at home, was best suited for the full 35 watt setting even with the wick trimmed back. The lower wattage settings lost some of the @$$ and did not dramatically lower output in a useful way. At full wattage, decent throttle with no pedals and plenty good. The later show let me open her up a bit (master at 2 PM), and I found that the extreme channel two setting with the pre dialed back a scootch was way more useful than I imagined. Guitar volume rolls produced a useful range of gain tones.

When I return next Thursday, I'll bring up a delay (Pigtronix Echolution 2 ultra pro), parallel mixer (Suhr Minimix), and an OD (not sure yet...maybe a Lovepedal hardwired Eternity, maybe a first edition Barber Ltd, maybe a Maxon SD-9). Would prefer to bag the OD and I imagine I should be able to do so with some more tweakage to the channel balance.

Initial verdict: Hitting it!

Back