Played a Mark V:35 Combo Today!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBJunkie

Reaction score
My local Mom and Pop store just received a Mark V:35 combo and I gave it a run through today and WOW!

Firstly, I own the big Mark V combo and the Mark V:25 head, both of which are great amps without question.
That said, there is something special about the V:35 combo that has a uniqueness all its own!
Personally, the 35W addition is awesome to achieve extra clean headroom for those that might care about clean sounds at high volume, and the 25W and 10W power offerings sound great as well. I think they have really nailed it on this one to allow all players to enjoy the amp and modest volume levels, all the way up to very loud cleans and overdrive sounds that will be able to compete even with a heavy handed drummer.

Some people have questioned the reason for the V:35 in the Mark lineup considering the success of the Big MkV and V:25 head, and how it would fit in? Honestly, so did I until I auditioned it today.
IMO, it sounds bigger and fuller than the V:25, and I love that it is offered in a 112 combo. Honestly, I actually prefer combo amps in general....when they can produce great sounds and are not too bulky and heavy to haul around. In the case of the V:35 combo, weighing it at about 45 pounds, mission accomplished!

Aside from the "35w power option", the V:35 also offers footswitchable solo boost for each channel (which is a first)...and each Solo Boost can be set to higher or LOWER volume levels for the given channel which is another "first" for MB. For those that think you don't require a built in "Solo Boost" for each channel that is fine, but the fact that MB did it on this amp is fantastic IMO!

Anyway, now I need to figure out "what to sell" to purchase this fine amp! I truly was that impressed with it. :lol:

Wow, nobody else is impressed with the V:35 combo amp?
No problem, I am just a bit surprised because I thought it sounded awesome!
Just my opinion of course....

I own the V35 and I consider it my "just right" amp. It's a nice sized small, lightweight combo amp with a very versatile HUGE tone. I own a couple other amps, and will own others. This is the one I'll give my grandkids one day.

Mark Five 35 First 3 weeks.

You guys know the specs. 2 Channel amp with 6 modes and CabClone, EQ, Solo Boost. As I expected this is also not plug and play amp. There is so much going on, I am still doing trial and error to see what is best on my situation. Currently, I am on Fat and MK11c mode. Scooped EQ.

One of the things that I loved and wanted to go back was to use amp overdrive instead of Pedal - to make my pedal board simple. It kind of made it more complicated because I had to run mod/delay in the FX loop. I am doing 4 cable method.

It is strange that between direct listening and what is coming thru Via Sen 609 is that the drive level is someone compromised. I may need to add more drive. TS9 on Overdrive channel makes it somewhat flabby through recording.

CabClone sound too in your face. Kind of lose that tube-ness. I heard better tones direct thru Line 6 amp mods. Although great improvement over Red Box....

+1 jmontgomery! I don't own a V:35 combo yet, but hope to soon for the same reasons you mention.
Also, I found it very easy to dial in great sounds, but in fairness, I "know how to dial in" Mark amps to my taste by owning several.

I may need you guy's advise on getting good tone. I am mainly a Strat guy. These test I am doing it with a Les Paul custom. At home I started dialing in my tone at low volume and started using headphone through CabClone.

I was using the "FAT"mode on clean channel and MK Iic on dirty channel. My main volume for channel 2 was at 3-4. Beyond that with humbucker Les Paul, I was getting too much gain and it started to sound fizzy. When I was playing with the band, through SM 57 and through IEM. It sounded ok - just right gain. and I kicked in Tube Screamer for solos - hoping it will get more gain. When I listened back the recording/Video - audio was mixed in from the FOH, It sounded like all my gain was gone. It was just at verge of breaking point and not too much sustain. V-3 T- 7 M - 4 B -4. P - 5. For Drive Channel. I did not kick it the EQ. I am still not sure how to assign EQ to which channel..

Tomorrow is rehearsal day. May be I am used to strat crunch, and bringing more gain on strat might work. For some reason the Tube Screamer (Mini) adds slight overtone that sounds buzzy. I might get better results through Xotic EP... I also have Xotic SL..I am not sure if I want to bring more drive pedal.. when the tube overdrive should sound great. It was one of the reason I got this combo - to move away from pedal based set up.

I had MK3 - that I sold (2days ago) I do have bitter sweet feeling, as it was vintage 1985. Due to the fact that MK3 despite it meant to be flexible, I had been using with clean tone and used pedal OD/DS.

Quest goes on...

Hi gjohung,
I am not sure how much I can help because I am not sure what sounds you desire from your V:35, and I only gave it a test drive so far.
First of all, nothing at all wrong with a Strat through the Mark Series! My primary guitar is a "superstrat" with HSS pickups.
Anyway, I do have a few suggestions that you might consider.
1. Plug in your favorite guitar directly in the amp.
2. Do not attach any effects to the loop for now just play the guitar through the amp.
3. Select a mode in each channel, start with whichever mode you wish, but try them all.
4. Start with gain, treble, middle, bass and presence knobs set to the noon position, channel volume knob set to taste and 5-band GEQ off.
5. Adjust gain, treble, middle, bass, presence knobs to taste in that particular mode/channel to taste, but avoid extreme settings of Treble, Middle, Bass, Presence because they can cause sonic imbalances due to how effective they are.
6. Also realize that the Mid knob of Ch1 Only (All modes) works as a mid EQ from fully CCW to Noon. Beyond that it acts as a mid boost gain knob. So, if you have your mid knob set higher than Noon, it might not provide you with the sounds you are looking for using a more conventional Mid EQ knob. Basically, on the V:25 and V:35 in Ch1 the Mid EQ is maxed at Noon, so if you have that knob set high in Ch1, try reducing it to 10 o'clock or so.
7. If you have the gain set high in any mode, reduce the rotary bass knob to avoid flubiness and lack of focus. As mentioned in the manual, "As the gain goes up, the rotary bass knob needs to be set lower". This is especially true in the V:25 and V:35.
8. Try this approach with each of the modes to get a better feel of how the amp sounds stand alone without any effects up front or in the loop and with GEQ disengaged.
9. Once you have done that, start to experiment using the 5 Band GEQ if so desired. Personally, I only engage the GEQ sometimes and usually only high gain crunch or solo sounds. The use of the GEQ can drastically sculpt your sound, but IMO it isn't necessary to get great sounds out of any Mark V amp.
10. Once you get a better feel for how the amp sounds "stand alone" with your guitar, then you can add delay, chorus to the loop if desired or OD in front of the amp (although not needed IMO)!

I think part of what you are struggling with is that with OD pedals up front and 4CM with effects, you haven't really even heard how great your V:35 amp can sound stand alone!

Hope this helps you and best of luck....

Thanks a mil. MBjunkie...

Yesterday, was strictly Strat night at the rehearsal..and wow.. I never new my Strat sounded so good. I have a Eric Johnson Strat. Clean at FAT mode was just heaven. Reverb really made it pretty. I wished there was a foot switch for that.. else I might have to get a reverb pedal.

For dirty tone. I actually went on the Mk IV mode on the OD Channel. It gave me real crunch at volume at about 1-2 o'clock. I was not too happy about engaging solo mode.. because I always wanted more gain during solo. This time Xotic EP proved it can add extra drive but I needed more volume...I need to experiment. It may mean that MkII mode has more mid range and drive need to be higher.

I have trem, delay, chorus, Volume pedal in the FX loop. I am now able to control the Volume when I want to comp with power chords - so that I will not step over the vocals or other instrument.

I agree .. the amp sounds great without any OD pedals.!!

Great that you are getting tones more to your liking gjohung!

Yes, the "FAT Mode) offers a divine clean sound. Also, don't overlook the "Clean Mode". I use it often for my clean sound when playing with a band as it cuts through better.
Yes, Mk IV Mode has more gain than Mk II Mode. I like both of these modes a LOT, but usually set Ch2 to Mk II with gain set to about 1:30 because I prefer my lead rhythm and solo sounds with a moderate amount of gain. Anyway, just keep experimenting and I am sure you will settle in on how best to set up the amp for your needs and preferences.

Regarding solo boost function. Basically, these dials act as an alternate footswitchable channel volume setting.....so yes, they DO NOT add more gain...just volume. They can be set anywhere (louder or quieter) than the channel master and I really like that there is one dedicated to each channel on the V:35! Very useful feature when playing with a band!

Just keep experimenting and have fun! 8)

Sunday is my church gig... I do need to be versatile. Today, the I needed to go between acoustic and U2 type backing and some lead tones. Power Ballads. During the rehearsal, I decided to go with strat. I had my acoustic - Martin D-28 fitted with LR Bagg mounted on a Mbrace guitar stand. http://www.mbracestand.com I can play first couple verses on acoustic and move to electric to final the song. I ended up doing the whole set on Mark IV mode. I didn't need too much clean tone.. because I had acoustic. Pulling back the volume clean up to play chords.. but it still had that warmth to play some fill in solos.

We have 2 sets.. I did feel some flabby-ness on over driven mode. I made a mistake of using Tube Screamer during Solo..it brought too much mids...My TS habbit... Second set I pulled my bass back and it became tighter. Still my drive was only at 4. I don't know why I was afraid to push the drive further.

The run through rehearsal room has old Line 6 Flextone. It was dialed at Marshall JCM 800 model. I liked that AC 30ish overtone that you get with Strat and Cranked up British amps. I thought it blended well with the songs that we were playing.. When I got to the stage - the mesa seemed very tamed and had this "organized" overdrive. Which is no bad.. but I thought thinking back the JCM 800/AC 30 has some attitude. I think Mesa's TransAmerica can dial in similar tone.

I am wondering if there is a setting in Mark V 35 to get similar tone...

Check out the crunch mode of Ch1. One of my favorite modes with my V:25! 10w should be plenty and just dial it in to your taste. Do experiment with this amp!

One more question OP....are you playing the amp through a speaker (either the combo or head with cab) or just Cab Clone? Just curious.

I tried the CabClone... I didn't like it... I thought I could get better Direct Out tone with Line 6 Stuff,

The crunch mode in the clean channel is great. How ever in live situation, I need a clean channel. Is it possible to dial in a clean tone with dirty channel..

Yes, I do think it possible to get a decent clean sound from Ch2 with the gain set very, very low in 2C or Extreme modes, but they won't be nearly as good as the "Clean or Fat Modes" offered in Ch1 based on my experience with my V:25. One could also experiment with the GEQ set according to taste to dial in a respectable clean sound from Ch2?
Basically, the answer is the great clean sounds are offered in Ch1 Clean and Fat modes without question in the V:25 and V:35 IMO.

Latest posts

Back