Multi Effects or Recommended Pedals into loop of Mark V 35

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlhjr34

Reaction score
I just purchased a Mark V:35 tonight. It's on the way. In the meantime. I am looking at some options for effects to run with it. I am on the waitlist for both the AX8 and the FX8. So they're not options since I have no clue when my name will come up. In the meantime I was exploring a couple of options. Either a multi effects unit like the G Major II with a Ground Control Pro. The other option is building a pedal board and going that way. I have a TC Chorus pedal and a KH95 Wah. I know you loose flexibility having to tap dance on multiple pedals but I don't necessarily mind it. Is there any recommendations I'm missing? The FX8 is the most ideal but It could be summer or so before I'm called up. I really don't want to hold out that long. I also would like to make sure what ever I choose does not tone suck, or monkey with the volume at all. I messed with the full Mark V head years ago and never could get the pedals to play with it very well with out a significant volume and tone suck. That of course was with a Boss Chorus which I know I've heard aren't friendly as far as messing with tone. I am looking to pull the trigger on something this week so any recommendations are appreciated.

rlhjr34 said:
I just purchased a Mark V:35 tonight. It's on the way. In the meantime. I am looking at some options for effects to run with it. I am on the waitlist for both the AX8 and the FX8. So they're not options since I have no clue when my name will come up. In the meantime I was exploring a couple of options. Either a multi effects unit like the G Major II with a Ground Control Pro. The other option is building a pedal board and going that way. I have a TC Chorus pedal and a KH95 Wah. I know you loose flexibility having to tap dance on multiple pedals but I don't necessarily mind it. Is there any recommendations I'm missing? The FX8 is the most ideal but It could be summer or so before I'm called up. I really don't want to hold out that long. I also would like to make sure what ever I choose does not tone suck, or monkey with the volume at all. I messed with the full Mark V head years ago and never could get the pedals to play with it very well with out a significant volume and tone suck. That of course was with a Boss Chorus which I know I've heard aren't friendly as far as messing with tone. I am looking to pull the trigger on something this week so any recommendations are appreciated.

I have been gigging with a Boss ME70 for about 6 years. In one board you get all the boss effects: compression, noise gate, chorus, flange, delay, etc. etc. You have 4 fully programmable pedals that can spread across multiple banks. A extra pedal allows switching between banks. It also has volume, wah, and a built-in tuner. Combine that with the overdrive of your V:35 and you have a lot of flexibility with a compact package. BTW, it has survived many "adverse" bar conditions (like spilled beer and drunks). Boss gear is totally reliable.

rlhjr34 said:
I just purchased a Mark V:35 tonight. It's on the way. In the meantime. I am looking at some options for effects to run with it. I am on the waitlist for both the AX8 and the FX8. ... That of course was with a Boss Chorus which I know I've heard aren't friendly as far as messing with tone. I am looking to pull the trigger on something this week so any recommendations are appreciated.

I'm more a pedal than multi-fx kinda guy, but have been trying to dial in a wide range of pedals with the MkV35 and finding it interesting. First, I have to say that a lot of the time, my ears are telling me the amp sounds great without pedals. Print out the manual pages with the sample settings and you can really hear the range.

Analog delay works great up front. I have the Analogman AARD20 on all the time and it sounds good.

Drives are tricky...tried a bunch, and they vary a lot based on amp settings and guitar/pickup combinations. E.g, the Wampler Plexi-Drive Deluxe is a little hard to dial in, even its TS style boost circuit only. Fuzz Bear sounds good on the clean and fat channels. Rat...takes work. Have a range of drives and dirt available, and while I've gotten them to a good place after a lot of fussing, like I said, a lot of the time - and almost always on Channel 2 - straight into the amp sounds better. Otherwise, even on the clean channel things get woofy and loose pretty quickly.

Modulations are fruitful. The Eventide H9 sounds absolutely great...haven't even tried it in the loop yet, but it sounds good into the front of the fat clean channel. Choruses, reverbs, delays ... these can easily be brought to a bright and clean resonance if that's what you want.

Anyway, just my observations about 3-4 weeks in with the amp. Takes some work to really explore these things. Maybe a multi-fx will combine well with that?

Misc, my $.02, Noel

rlhjr34 said:

An Eventide H9 goes a long way with my Mark V 25.

NoelEiffe1 said:
rlhjr34 said:
Anyway, just my observations about 3-4 weeks in with the amp. Takes some work to really explore these things. Maybe a multi-fx will combine well with that?

As every Mesa product. Take the time. Experiment. Enjoy.

I'm using Eventides in the loop - PitchFactor->ModFactor->TimeFactor. They sound great and there's absolutely no difference in the tone, whether I have them in or just choose to go straight amp. Same in the 90 watt combo. Best effects loops I've ever used, just completely transparent.

I got on the FX8 waitlist on January 3rd and I ended up calling Fractal at the beginning of March trying to pry info out of them as to when I might be getting an invite and he told me even if I had a million dollars he could not tell me when because he would loose his job. So I ended up calling the next day to ask him another question about an invitation that was offered to me a few months prior that I had to decline due to lack of funds and he told me it was not valid anymore so that was a major bummer. So I decided to just wait it out but the next day I got a call from Fractal and he said he had a B-stock unit (tiny tiny scratch that you could barley see) that I could purchase for $150 off the full price with a 1 year warranty and of course I said hell yes. So the point of my story is maybe call fractal and ask if the have any B-stock units for sale. Its definitely worth a try. It is hands down the best thing that has happened to my music gear setup. By the way I am running it through my Mark V25 with a Rectifier 2X12 cabinet using the 4CM through the FX send/return.

If that does not turn out any results I hear the TC Electronics G-system is a pretty good option as well. Ive never owned one but it was a option for me if the Fractal thing didn't work out.

My suggestion would be to first try out the amp without any effects at all, to get a feel for how the amp sounds by itself with you playing it....then consider effects. Just my .02

I've been very happy with my Nova System. You can buy them for like $269 new these days. You really can't beat that price on these things. It works great in front or in the loop. It is in the loop right now with a Nova Distortion in front. I also have a Nova Delay I run in the loop after the Nova System for a dedicated delay sound or dual delay if used in conjunction with the NS. Midi Moose for changing presets and the Nova System changes presets on the Nova Distortion at the same time. I use a Miditemp MSW-1 cable for channel changes on the amp but the 35 has MIDI so you wouldn't need that. Pretty slick setup though if I may say so myself, haha.

In a perfect world I would have an FX8 in a heartbeat, but it costs twice as much as my pedalboard. I enjoy piecing together a pedal board anyway so it has been fun regardless.

Back