Mark V:35 Output Master Volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alezuniga

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm a long term Marshall user, I have a Marshall 410C combo, but the last weekend a friend came to my house with a little monster called Mesa Mark V:25, we played the amp for several hours to conclude that I really like the sound of the amp. I'm a combo guy, so, I'm interested in the Mark V:35 combo, but I have a problem:

The amp don't have a Master Output volume knob, like the Mark V.

I'm not worried about pre or post saturation, my concern it's basically for the balance between the channels, because is so common that in a middle of a gig you need more volume (the drummer always play louder song after song LOL), so, without the master volume knob, I can't raise the global level without touch only one knob and with the risk to destroy the balance between the channels.

I'm not interested on the solo function because I will handle the solo level with my pedal.
I will not use that feature. I will use the Mark V:35 in 4CM with a Fractal FX8.

I know that Mesa Boogie will not build a perfect amp for everybody needs just right out of the box, so my question is:

Is there any possible way to mod the Mark V:35 to have the Master Output knob like the Mark V?
Is there any electronic guru out there that can help me to design the mod?

I have a tec guy that will make the mod for me, I know that I will void the warraty but I'm ok with that, I live in Costa Rica, so and can't request any warraty claims.

Your comments will be very appreciated.
Thanks!!!

I can't help answer your question, but also a JVM410 owner here looking for a smaller replacement, hoping the Mark 5:35 is it. Yes giving up 3 modes across 4 channels down to 3 modes across 2 but I find that most of the time I'm on crunch or OD1 on the JVM and the 75lbs of the JVM is killing me.

Thanks for pointing out the lack of s single master volume and the possible balancing act that may cause. Keep us posted on how it goes.

I would not mod it personally. Why wreck a five year warranty?

The channels are really easy to balance quickly, at least on the 25

Maybe a good use of the solo function is a slightly higher vol balanced on each channel just in case things get louder

barryswanson said:
Just buy a 90 watt combo

The problem with the Mark V 90 watt combo is that is heavy weight too (65 pounds JVM 75.9 pounds)!!!

elvis said:
Just put a buffer with a gain (or attenuation) knob in the loop. Presto! Single Master volume.

As you can see in the manual (page 22), each Master Volume is the FX loop send level too, with this in mind you can't crank them to loud without cause clipping problems in the FX processor.

scoden said:
The channels are really easy to balance quickly, at least on the 25
Maybe a good use of the solo function is a slightly higher vol balanced on each channel just in case things get louder

From my point of view the problem with the individual channel masters and the individual solo knobs is that in a gig (in a middle of a song) you have to move 4 knobs to raise your overall volume, keep playing and make sure that everything is still balanced.

This is hard to solve, but with the right tec I guess it can be done.
Any other comments will be appreciated.

I have the V 90 with the master volume. At stage volume levels, what I've found is that just bumping the master knob does not really maintain the balance across channels. At lower overall master volumes, my ch2/ch3 channel volume needs to be higher. When I bump up the master volume, I generally have to turn down the ch2/ch3 volume a bit to maintain the balance.

It could just be the way sound is perceived with different gain structures and without gain. If it is just about maintaining balance that is stopping you from getting the V:35, I wouldn't worry about it too much. After a few gigs with it, you'll be able to dial in the balance easily on the fly and I don't think the V90 solves that completely.

toneseeker911 said:
I have the V 90 with the master volume. At stage volume levels, what I've found is that just bumping the master knob does not really maintain the balance across channels. At lower overall master volumes, my ch2/ch3 channel volume needs to be higher. When I bump up the master volume, I generally have to turn down the ch2/ch3 volume a bit to maintain the balance.

It could just be the way sound is perceived with different gain structures and without gain. If it is just about maintaining balance that is stopping you from getting the V:35, I wouldn't worry about it too much. After a few gigs with it, you'll be able to dial in the balance easily on the fly and I don't think the V90 solves that completely.

Opps, I though that with the V 90 I could have all well balanced at any level.
The other thing I think I can miss is the send knob in the loop of the V 90.
I'm a little worried about clipping on the FX processor

Your experience with the Mark V 90 is pretty revealing

Work with your drummer and front of house tech to get the right levels at sound check then everything sounds best. If it's a small venue where you're relying on the amp's volume for front, then you will know what settings you need for each song through rehearsal only if you practice at stage volume. Goes for any amp. No?

alezuniga said:
elvis said:
Just put a buffer with a gain (or attenuation) knob in the loop. Presto! Single Master volume.

As you can see in the manual (page 22), each Master Volume is the FX loop send level too, with this in mind you can't crank them to loud without cause clipping problems in the FX processor.

My point exactly. You set the amp's masters to optimize the FX send level. That includes setting the boost levels and the non-boost levels. Then put the adjustable gain buffer between the FX unit output and the amp's FX return, making it an FX return level/master volume. It would do exactly what you want.

Alternatively, use your FX unit's output volume control (if it has one) as a master. I do that with my G System.

elvis said:
alezuniga said:
elvis said:

My point exactly. You set the amp's masters to optimize the FX send level. That includes setting the boost levels and the non-boost levels. Then put the adjustable gain buffer between the FX unit output and the amp's FX return, making it an FX return level/master volume. It would do exactly what you want.

Alternatively, use your FX unit's output volume control (if it has one) as a master. I do that with my G System.

Great, some example of a good adjustable gain buffer?
Thanks for your advice

Micro amp, EP Booster, almost any Equalizer (which would give you post-gain EQ capability as well). There are tons, actually.

The EP Booster can run on 18V, so it has headroom for high signal levels in the loop.

Should this work?
As the master output I'm looking for?

https://www.jhspedals.com/products/guitar-pedals/little-black-amp-box/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A39UBBLoiws

It should be in the loop, not between the Amp and the speaker.
Any thoughts?

Use an attenuator between the speaker output and the speaker. Instant single volume knob without voiding the warranty. I have one but don't intend to use it with my V:35. That device is now saved for my dual recto. There are many ways of dealing with the single volume issue. My Boss ME70 has a single volume control. So do a lot of effects within the effects loop. Also, just set your master and lead volumes to two levels so that you can jump up or down as necessary. Furthermore, jump down using the 35:25:10 Watt toggle switch.

I compared the volume knob with the solo knob and found them to be essentially identical. Thus, if you dial in your volume knob then just add an "hour" to the solo knob, you have two predictable volumes.

Great, some example of a good adjustable gain buffer?
Thanks for your advice

I have most of my pedals in front of the preamp, as I've not yet figured out how to tame the trebly sound of the effects loop on my MkV35. I put a Mesa Toneburst pedal at the end of my OD and fuzz pedal area, before modulations, and find that it not only sounds great, but its level control functions as a powerful volume control. I keep its gain at about 9 o'clock and then use the level control to manage volume...the OD's stacked before can provide lots of gain if I need it. Set gain on the clean channels to taste, but after a lot of experimentation this has worked well for me. Fwiw.

Latest posts

Back