Mark V or Mark V 35

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie Mike

Reaction score
Help please! I'm currently using a rectoverb with vertical 2x12 recto cab and looking to make the jump to a mark series amp. (mainly because of the change in preamp, built in EQ and smaller size of head.) I am totally torn between the mark V and the new 35w version. One of the major reasons I originally bought a recto is because of the 6L6 power section and the fantastic tight bottom end they produce. The mark V just seems to have way more options then I need. Not to mention it weighs a ton and the footswitch is a tank. On the other hand; the 35 is powered by 4x el84's and from what I have gathered will not give me that sweet low end I crave. Will the EQ combined with my closed back V30's really make up for the lack of 6L6 low end??

I play mostly hard rock/alternative stuff in a medium sized rehearsal room and occasionally bars/small club venues.

I really hope they decide to make a scaled down version of the mark v with 6L6's in the future regardless of what I decide to get now.

IMO, the first question you should ask yourself is; can you get by with only two channels? Or do you you need 3?

Considering the Mark V is a 90/45/10 watt amp I don't think you'll see a 2x6L6 version.

screamingdaisy said:
IMO, the first question you should ask yourself is; can you get by with only two channels? Or do you you need 3?

Considering the Mark V is a 90/45/10 watt amp I don't think you'll see a 2x6L6 version.

Thx. All i need is 2 channels... I just don't know if the el34's will cut it. :roll:

No Mark V is going to give you the low end that 6L6 Rectos are capable of.

That said,

IMHO, the crucial difference between a full V and its little brethren, especially in your case, is the 90W setting. It simply sounds so much beefier than the lower wattage settings.

The smaller Marks (25W/35W) can do most of the popular modes on the V. They are also loud enough. But they just do not pack the thump and authority that the 90W setting is capable of, no matter how you tweak them. In a direct comparison, they will sound thinner and brighter.

Of course everything comes at a price; a full Mark V is going to be more expensive and bigger and heavier, as you pointed out.

LesPaul70 said:

That said,

IMHO, the crucial difference between a full V and its little brethren, especially in your case, is the 90W setting. It simply sounds so much beefier than the lower wattage settings.

The smaller Marks (25W/35W) can do most of the popular modes on the V. They are also loud enough. But they just do not pack the thump and authority that the 90W setting is capable of, no matter how you tweak them. In a direct comparison, they will sound thinner and brighter.

Of course everything comes at a price; a full Mark V is going to be more expensive and bigger and heavier, as you pointed out.

I've been playing out with a dual recto for years. It is just too **** loud for most rooms. I have to use an attenuator just so that I don't blow the doors out. I mic my amp so that the mix with the bandmates is better. I'm moving to a V:35. Can crank the tubes to get that sweet liquid gain while sitting properly in the mix. Just my 2c.

Boogie Mike said:
Help please! I'm currently using a rectoverb with vertical 2x12 recto cab and looking to make the jump to a mark series amp. (mainly because of the change in preamp, built in EQ and smaller size of head.) I am totally torn between the mark V and the new 35w version. One of the major reasons I originally bought a recto is because of the 6L6 power section and the fantastic tight bottom end they produce. The mark V just seems to have way more options then I need. Not to mention it weighs a ton and the footswitch is a tank. On the other hand; the 35 is powered by 4x el84's and from what I have gathered will not give me that sweet low end I crave. Will the EQ combined with my closed back V30's really make up for the lack of 6L6 low end??

I play mostly hard rock/alternative stuff in a medium sized rehearsal room and occasionally bars/small club venues.

I really hope they decide to make a scaled down version of the mark v with 6L6's in the future regardless of what I decide to get now.

If it were me, I'd take my amp to a Mesa dealer and do a side-by-side comparison, or buy from a dealer with a return policy. I played Marks for years (still own a C+), but I've migrated to EL84 amps. You're not going to get the same punchy, boomy, 6L6 bottom-end from an EL84, but I like being able to drive the output tubes harder. A Thiele cabinet does a good job of extracting the bottom from EL84s.

BTW, I owned a Rectoverb and thought it was a fantastic amp, but the Mark IV was more my voice.

I've always been a "Marshall/Fender" guy. Been playing through a Fargen Retro Classic for the last 3-4 years. Best plexi I've ever heard, hands down, but I needed more versatility. I never wanted to give Mesa amps a shot, bc I've always associated their amps w/ metal. My style has always been classic rock, blues, jam. I've been in love with the lunchbox craze ever since it started really taking off, but haven't ever really liked el84 based amps. Once I saw the Mark V 35, I was seriously intrigued. The more I read about it, the more I felt like "this is THE amp". Finally I ponied up, and ordered the head version. The idea was that I'd sacrifice the perfect plexi tone of my Fargen to have 6 tones that "came close" to their big brothers. Boy was I wrong. This amp is "bees knees". The cleans on this amp are on par with most Fenders I've owned.......especially the fat channel. If you take the "Fat Channel" and turn the gain all the way up, then engage the mid/gain boost, then you have dead on JTM-45. Switch over to the "crunch channel" and you have Plexi Superlead all day long+ more gain than you will ever need. I mainly use the "Mark IV" setting for my leads. That channel is amazing. As far as "bottom end" goes, this thing has plenty. Having the switchable EQ option almost gives you an extra channel. You can dial in plenty of tight bottom end if you engage the EQ. At this point, I'm just babbling, but I will say that this amp is 35watts of "badassery". I'm not tooting my own horn, but I am a freaking "tone Nazi" and I'm very finicky about gear. I buy and sell more gear than any man ever should. My advice to you is definitely try this amp out. Sweetwater will let you return it if you don't like it. Sure, it's not its 90watt big brother, but it is its own amp in itself. One of the best things about it is its weight. Light as a feather. I hope all of my random babbling has been of some help. Cheers🎸🎸🎸🎸🎸

I started out with the Mark 5:25 and moved to the Mark V head. Mainly because I wanted the three channels, but also the ability to switch the loop in and out, and the solo/mute capability. The big V does have the added thump from the 6L6's and larger iron, but I suspect the 5:35 is more than capable as well. The 5:35 was not an option when I decided to go to the Mark V head. Not sure it would have changed my decision though.

pop down a thread or two and read a few of the guys who have now received their V35s. They seem to be pretty happy. I've wanted a full sized V for a couple years. Was saving/selling to get one when the V25 was announced. I would certainly audition a V35 before I decide to get one now though. Then make the same decisions.... 3 channel vs. 2, Mark I, Tweed, Edge modes needed or not... etc.

V35 looks pretty great for anyone who love the V25 and needs more volume. If we need or want more features, we'll have to step up to Mark V.

PRS_Daddy said:
LesPaul70 said:

That said,

I've been playing out with a dual recto for years. It is just too **** loud for most rooms. I have to use an attenuator just so that I don't blow the doors out. I mic my amp so that the mix with the bandmates is better. I'm moving to a V:35. Can crank the tubes to get that sweet liquid gain while sitting properly in the mix. Just my 2c.

That's why I went from a Mark IV to a DC-3. There's more power tube vibe at lower volume, the graphic allows the bass to be boosted, and an EVM 12-L loaded Thiele (coupled with a 1/2 back 1x12) gives plenty of bottom-end punch. Plus which, the DC-3 is biased waaay hotter than any Mark. In fact, I had to raise (cool) the bias to prevent red plating and premature tube death. I still love Mark amps, but the DC-3/4xEL84 just suited my needs better. I'm jazzed that Mesa is producing the V:35.

Just one more note, for what it's worth.

I choose the 90W setting on my V because, to my ears, it sounds so much better - bigger and beefier - than the other two power settings at any volume, yes, including the so-called bedroom volume. The difference is even more obvious at band volume through a decent 2x12 (or 4x12).

Obviously, YMMV.

I like the flexibility of 3 channels in the full Mark V. Also the fact that both clean and crunch are on the same channel 1 on the smaller Mark V is a no-go for me. These two are my most used channels in a band context.
6L6 really shine on the clean channel, I am not sure about EL84s. Also, the big MKV allows a swap to EL34s if you don't mind sacrificing the clean for a more british sounding crunch.
90W seems to have more balls in a band context. The extra tubes add something more than just volume. Also 90W on clean gives a lot of headroom before breakup if you need a pristine clean tone.

I'm using both the 90 combo with an additional 1x12 widebody ported C90, and the 35 with 2 of the widebody porteds, 1xC90 and 1xV30. I also will use the 35 in my practice area with an ancient Marshall 4x12 with 47-year old Greenbacks. Love both amps, and I just picked up a Radial Twinline so I can run my time-based effects in either loop. I'll need to play around with that to try to keep everything sounding the way it does now. These amps have the most transparent effects loops I've ever heard, at least with the pedals I'm using (Eventide Factors). And as LesPaul70 noted, I also use the 90 watt setting on all 3 channels - it really smooths everything out nicely. Bigger and beefier is a great description on that, Les! Using Fat, Mark I, and Extreme on the 90 watter, and Fat driven a bit harder or Crunch, depending, and Mark IV on the 35. The beauty is you can't go wrong with either - or both!

Now that the JP2C is coming I vote for that :p Although is does look like it wont be bedroom friendly in the slightest lol

I've had my first Mesa being the Mark V:35 for about 4 months now home use only.
On the two occasions I have jammed with another mate (90W Fender) and the drummer, I was completed drowned out. The 35 was cranked at 8.5 and I didn't want to push it harder. I was lost in the mix not once, but twice.

As such I am spewing as I love this amp but I am now considering either a rackmount power amp (but don't want to alter my tone) or what seems to be my only other option is the bigger brother Mark V 90W.

I use the Recto vert 2x12 V30s and can't manage a 4x12 as my back is cactus.

I can't justify owning two amps unfortunately.
What to do :?:

Latest posts

Back